DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· AllStar
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am moving and having the installer help me with my dual swm 8's. Is there a good diagram? I have been working off the weaknees pdf, but I am confused about the power inserters.

So I need two power inserters to do this or one?

Do I basically just do the normal swm8 setup twice, by splitting the four lines coming in from the dish to make 8 lines (4 into each swm?).

The installer is great but not sure if he's done one of these before...

FYI, he had brought the SWM LNB assembly (I guess I qualified) but since I have 6 DVR's I didn't think this would allow enough tuners. (Need 12+ tuners). That would have saved me the money I spent on the SWM8's I bought... Let me know if I am wrong.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks!!

· Hall Of Fame
1,779 Posts

· Super Moderator
13,787 Posts

· ΔS > 0
1,963 Posts
Since you have more than 8 tuners, the SWMLine LNB was not the right choice. The 2 SWM-8 setup sounds like the way to go, especially if you have very few "legacy" tuners.

Splitting the four lines from the LNB into eight is probably the most straight forward way to go.

· AllStar
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bakers12 said:
Since you have more than 8 tuners, the SWMLine LNB was not the right choice. The 2 SWM-8 setup sounds like the way to go, especially if you have very few "legacy" tuners.

Splitting the four lines from the LNB into eight is probably the most straight forward way to go.
Yes, thanks to DBS talk.com for teaching me that. Or else I would have had a nice swmline LNB but no chance of running all of my tuners. I don't have any legacy tuners left.

This might be a dumb question. I only have two 1 to 8 splitters, does it matter if I'm only running 4 receivers off of each. Do I need to terminate the other slots?

· Hall Of Fame
1,779 Posts
MicroBeta said:
Your links want a login.

Mike
Sorry
Thought they might
I get pix in a bit

Doctor j

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
creesh said:
This might be a dumb question. I only have two 1 to 8 splitters, does it matter if I'm only running 4 receivers off of each. Do I need to terminate the other slots?
You should be good with those splitters. No need to terminate.

· Hall Of Fame
1,779 Posts
Here are pixs:

24 v Power Supply for FMC-6
3A501DA24 - $21.95

DC Power Jack 2F Connector Adaptor
PA2.1F2 - $10.00

Coax from adapter to Legacy port 3 for power.

Another neat adapter for 2 SWM-8.
Cheaper for 4 2 way splitters but this is more elagant:

Dual SMW Expander Unit
SMW-E2 - $86.06

Doctor j

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.