DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AllStar
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend of mine has Direct TV. Wants to be able to record programs but does not have a DVR. As she already is a subscriber how much does it cost her to upgrade to a standard DVR. I looked around Direct's site but did not see how much it wold cost her to get one or upgrade to one.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
1. The cost to upgrade to a standard definition DVR (R15) or high definition DVR (HR20) can vary. A lot depends on your friend's account status, subscription packages, and length of service. Sometimes you can upgrade nearly for free. You can check BestBuy, Circuit City, and other retailers for the "retail" prices, though.

2. Yes, a stand alone Tivo will work with a stand alone DirecTV Receiver. But you lose out on many of the integrated DirecTV DVR benefits, such as:
* dual tuners
* Dolby Digital audio
* HDTV (with the HR20 DVR)
* lower DVR service fees

·
Icon
3,502 Posts
Your friend can get a free Sd DVR. Tell them to login to there directv account online go to upgrade equipment than type in this code under "special offers" "DVR4U2" THAT Will givre them a free directv r15 (100 hours) free instilation and free shipping.

If your friend wants a hddvr my best suggestion would be to talk to a csr and hopefully they give you a good deal.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
There would also be an additional monthly fee of $5.99 which is charged as a "DVR Fee". This is only charged once per month regardless of how many DVRs may be on the account. If she currently only has one standard receiver and keeps that active while adding the DVR, there would also be a $4.99 per month "lease fee", which is basically an additional receiver fee that is charged for the second and any additional receivers on the account (the primary receiver is "free"). This covers mirroring programming to all receivers/DVRs on the account.

So besides the cost of the DVR (which as was noted, could actually be free), she could be paying an additional $5.99 to $10.98 per month.

It would also mean she is agreeing to a two-year programming commitment from the date the DVR is activated. A good friend would make sure she is aware of that before she buys.

The DVR functionality is maximized by having two satellite feeds running into it (to be able to record two shows at once, or record one show and watch another). The upgrade should include free "standard" installation. If there are "uniquenesses" in her cabling situation, though (extremely long runs, wall fishing, crawl space or attic runs, etc), the installation may not be completely free. She would need to cover that with the installer before he starts work.

Don't mean this to sound scary, but knowing what to expect goes a long way toward making it a more positive experience. Barring any real complications, though, upgrading to a DVR is usually a good thing - opens up a whole new viewing experience!

Best of luck!

·
Super Moderator
12,884 Posts
If she uses a standalone Tivo, in addition to what litzdog911 pointed out, she would also have to subscribe to Tivo for service, which costs something like $12 a month, in addition to her DirecTV costs.

Carl

·
Mentor
38 Posts
JLucPicard- been using a HR-10250 for several years that had the lifetime Tivo subscription. Thinking about moving up to the HR20. Just wanted you to reconfirm that if I proceed with the upgrade, I will begin to incur the $5 or $6 monthly reoccuring charge for the DVR usage?

·
Legend
115 Posts
jdeitchler said:
JLucPicard- been using a HR-10250 for several years that had the lifetime Tivo subscription. Thinking about moving up to the HR20. Just wanted you to reconfirm that if I proceed with the upgrade, I will begin to incur the $5 or $6 monthly reoccuring charge for the DVR usage?
Yes $5.99/ month dvr fee and 1 year commitment.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
jdeitchler said:
I'm not sure if I can completely and accurately answer that question. I "upgraded" my leased HR10-250 to the HR20 a couple of months ago, but I kept the HR10-250 active on my account (they didn't take it in a swap). I also have two owned HR10-250s active.

My bill still shows me with Lifetime DVR service at no charge, and no DVR service charge associated with the HR20. I believe that's because I still have the TiVos active on my account. If you were to upgrade to the HR20 and deactivate the HR10-250, making the HR20 the only active DVR on your account, I think they WOULD start charging you the $5.99 a month DVR fee.

If someone could confirm that:

(a) the LifeTime DVR service at no charge remains in force if you still have a "TiVo" unit active, even with an HR20 on the account and
(b) if all you have is D* DVRs (non-TiVos) on your account, you WILL be charged the $5.99 DVR fee even if you had been grandfathered in with LifeTime service before March 1st,

you may be able to make a more informed decision. If both of the above statements are true, and you do want to get the HR20, you may want to just keep the HR10-250 active as well, save a buck a month, and have two DVRs to use.

Hope that helps. I also hope that one of the dilligent D* CSRs that visit the forum don't see this and start charging me for the HR20 DVR service!!! :D

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
Interesting - I thought the Lifetime Tivo fee required keeping active the same DVR you had when you signed up for lifetime (which went away long before the HR10-250 was introduced). When I had just a HDVR2 I paid $4.99/month for the DVR fee. Whan I added a R15, it went to $5.99.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.