DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,675 Posts
CCarncross said:
My HR20 is still churning along, but I know its not long for this world. Its got some expanding caps that could fail at any time. I've relegated it to recording almost nothing but OTA recordings, so when/if it dies, the recordings will be playable on the replacement DVR. Something to think about if you suspect a problematic dvr, and have other(s).
I've been checking the insides of some of my HRs lately and see no capacitor problems (visually). All five of my owned 20-700s are dust free and the 500 that I own had just a little dust in it around the fan. I had reason to pop the top of my 21-200 the other day. Thought the barrel to motherboard connection had broken due to yet another loose barrel lock nut. You would not believe the dust in that thing. Turned out the barrel connection was OK, but I had to get a can of air and blow the thing out. I don't think I've ever had a DVR open and seen that much dust.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,675 Posts
TomCat said:
Here's an odd failure scenario:

Had an HR20 for about 15 months. It worked fine until about 6 months ago, when I noticed that it started to not display the screen saver in most cases (I keep it on a channel I don't get to keep the noise down) and instead just displays a black screen. But it recorded and played back just fine, has had a couple of updates and a couple of reboots since with no change.

New Year's Day: No power for about an hour. On bootup, I notice that there are only 4 items in the menu popup instead of the normal 7 or 8. I try a second reboot, but it stalls immediately on a dim blue light on the power button, forcing me to pull the power. It boots and comes up, but the menu still has only 4 items in it.

I get distracted and don't get back to it til later that night, whereupon I notice it missed 3 records. Further testing shows "QuickTune" now has no entries in it, and while I can get to the playlist, channel up/down has no effect, and it won't respond to the guide button.

This is not good; getting serious. I boot it again, this time going to the "reset defaults" option, which has solved squirreliness on other DVRs in the past. It hangs on reset again and needs a full power interrupt to boot. On bootup, no channels available; on guided setup no sats available (which I know is not true as other DVRs hooked to this system are working fine), again no ch up/dn, no guide page.

But I can get to my recordings and play them fine, so what I have at the moment is a DVP (player). It seems like any move beyond this will mean I will lose my recordings (only 380 hours worth), and that I may have no option but to do without these two record ports and play off all of the shows until I can try to get a replacement.

Also, a GUI is on the way; God knows how it will handle that.

Suggestions? Comments? Similar experiences?
Which model of the 20s was it, Tom?

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,675 Posts
TomCat said:
Hmmm. That should be an easy answer. Should be. I am not in front of it and I can never keep that straight, plus I have both 100's and 700's. This one has separate LEDs on the blue ring, where others have multiple LEDs per section of the blue ring, if that helps identify it.

As for the life of HR20's, and while I actually prefer HR20's, It is getting to the stage where any HR20 is at least a couple years old, so PS's are definitely in question. Of course caps are pretty easily replaced. So any advantage a HR20 may have over say a 21 or a 23 might be less than it used to be, in the case of longevity at least.
I don't remember what the physical differences in the 100 and 700 are, if there are any. Haven't seen a 100 in quite a while, but I think I remember them looking "cheaper" or not so well made. Might be my imagination.

Rich

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.