DBSTalk Forum banner

DVR Install Question

1429 Views 33 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  doctor j
I have been lurking here for a few weeks until my D* was installed. It was finally installed Tuesday after the obligitory install horror show. The system itself is great. We had 1 HD receiver and 4 standard receivers installed. They set us up with the new SWMline Dish. The tech said we were his first install with the new dish. They ran two lines from the dish to the outside of the house where they capped one wire and sent the other into our cellar to a switch called an SWS-8. From there they have power going into it and then the 5 cables going to each of the tvs. It works great, much clearer than cable. Of course after watching for a while my wife says we should have gotten the DVR. After biting my tongue and pulling out some of my hair :) I'm thinking I could wire the DVR myself. My question is, if I'm looking to hook up one tv with a DVR, what do I need to do? I'm thinking all I need to do is replace one of the receivers with a new DVR receiver and run another RG6 line from the SWS-8 switch. It has three open ports. Is this it, or am I missing something here? I'm also assuming I can do this myself, or will D* require me to have it installed? Can I just go to Best Buy or Circuit City and buy/lease a DVR receiver there, hook it up, and have D* "turn it on"?
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
First of all it sounds to me like you don't have a SWMline dish. If you did there would only be one line off the dish.
Now if you have a swm8 you would need ALL four lines off the dish running to the swm8 unit ... NOT 2!
This is important because if you have a swm8 and not a swmline you WILL NEED all four lines running from the dish to that unit. Once that is complete than you need to do NOTHING else to get 2 tuners off your dvr( preferably hddvr). Just plug it in and that is it!
Yes you can go to best buy or other outlets to get the receiver you want but you may as well call Directv directly and see if you can do better than that yourself or not!

Now we have to clarify whether you have the swmline or swm8 to help further.
It sounds like the installer ran an extra cable for good measure... and then "capped it off"... so he may in fact have an SWMline... If that is the case, then you will only need the one line for a DVR...

You could definitely pick one up a DVR from BB/CC, but you may want to call DirecTV and see if they might offer you a discount since you are still a very new customer...

:welcome_s to DBSTalk by the way! :)
jlancaster said:
First of all it sounds to me like you don't have a SWMline dish. If you did there would only be one line off the dish.
Now if you have a swm8 you would need ALL four lines off the dish running to the swm8 unit ... NOT 2!
This is important because if you have a swm8 and not a swmline you WILL NEED all four lines running from the dish to that unit. Once that is complete than you need to do NOTHING else to get 2 tuners off your dvr( preferably hddvr). Just plug it in and that is it!
Yes you can go to best buy or other outlets to get the receiver you want but you may as well call Directv directly and see if you can do better than that yourself or not!

Now we have to clarify whether you have the swmline or swm8 to help further.
Has to be a SWMLNB since the switches aren't used in residential installs.
AirRocker said:
It sounds like the installer ran an extra cable for good measure... and then "capped it off"... so he may in fact have an SWMline... If that is the case, then you will only need the one line for a DVR...

You could definitely pick one up a DVR from BB/CC, but you may want to call DirecTV and see if they might offer you a discount since you are still a very new customer...

:welcome_s to DBSTalk by the way! :)
no offence airrocker but why did he install with 2 lines.
Grydlok said:
Has to be a SWMLNB since the switches aren't used in residential installs.
you mean swm8's are not installed in residential?
jlancaster said:
no offence airrocker but how could he have installed a swmline with 2 lines?
SWMSLNB has only 1 output. That one line goes either to a 4 or 8 way splitter. Hopefully a Groundblock in the middle.
jlancaster said:
no offence airrocker but how could he have installed a swmline with 2 lines?
The SWMline only requires 1 line... It sounds like the installer went ahead and ran an extra line (and capped it off for now) just in case there was ever a problem with the original line...

They ran two lines from the dish to the outside of the house where they capped one wire and sent the other into our cellar to a switch called an SWS-8.
Grydlok said:
SWMSLNB has only 1 output. That one line goes either to a 4 or 8 way splitter. Hopefully a Groundblock in the middle.
I know that I have one that is why it puzzles me as to the 2 lines.
jlancaster said:
you mean swm8's are not installed in residential?
Correct unless some one orders one for themselves. The only item HSP will have are SWMLNB'S/PI/Switches. The reflector, feed arm, back assembly is the same.
jlancaster said:
I know that I have one that is why it puzzles me as to the 2 lines.
The tech ran dual cable. Since he supposed to use the messenger wire to bond the dish to a grounding block.
Its called dual RG-6 cable with ground wire. They dont make single cable with ground so tech probably just left second cable instead of stripping it off.
Grydlok said:
The tech ran dual cable. Since he supposed to use the messenger wire to bond the dish to a grounding block.
OK so you are saying the op is confusing a ground wire with rg6? Why else would the "tech" run 2 lines off a single lnb?
From the op "all I need to do is replace one of the receivers with a new DVR receiver and run another RG6 line from the SWS-8 switch."
Does this sound like someone who has the swmline dish????
ironwood said:
Its called dual RG-6 cable with ground wire. They dont make single cable with ground so tech probably just left second cable instead of stripping it off.
oh course they do goood lord! I have 3000' of single scc with "messenger/ground" in my basement.
LOOK
ironwood said:
They make single RG6 w messenger.
jlancaster said:
From the op "all I need to do is replace one of the receivers with a new DVR receiver and run another RG6 line from the SWS-8 switch."
Does this sound like someone who has the swmline dish????
Yup, but shouldn't be messing with it since they quite don't understand.
With all due respect it sounds like we don't understand it
Checker33 said:
I have been lurking here for a few weeks until my D* was installed. It was finally installed Tuesday after the obligitory install horror show. The system itself is great. We had 1 HD receiver and 4 standard receivers installed. They set us up with the new SWMline Dish. The tech said we were his first install with the new dish. They ran two lines from the dish to the outside of the house where they capped one wire and sent the other into our cellar to a switch called an SWS-8. From there they have power going into it and then the 5 cables going to each of the tvs. It works great, much clearer than cable. Of course after watching for a while my wife says we should have gotten the DVR. After biting my tongue and pulling out some of my hair :) I'm thinking I could wire the DVR myself. My question is, if I'm looking to hook up one tv with a DVR, what do I need to do? I'm thinking all I need to do is replace one of the receivers with a new DVR receiver and run another RG6 line from the SWS-8 switch. It has three open ports. Is this it, or am I missing something here? I'm also assuming I can do this myself, or will D* require me to have it installed? Can I just go to Best Buy or Circuit City and buy/lease a DVR receiver there, hook it up, and have D* "turn it on"?
Since you have a 8way splitter in your basement you don't need to run another line provided you lease the correct DVR(R16). If you lease a R16 just make sure you connect it to Port 1 on rear of the unit. Make all your connections 1st then power up. If you are unsure of what you have i recommend you order for DirecTv.
jlancaster said:
With all due respect it sounds like we don't understand it
We as the OP and you, or We as in all of us?
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.