DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting my first ever DVRs (I know I've been living in the dark ages) and have a question about what is required for installation. I currently have four D* set tops with only one satellite input on each. I will be replacing 3 of these set tops with new DVRs. Is it necessary to run a second line to each DVR? What can I do or not do if I just use the one line I currently have going into each set top.?

Thanks

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
Welcome to the world of DVR's!

With two lines to each, you will be able to record two things at once or watch something while recording something different. One line to each will not allow this.

Normally your installer will put the extra lines in unless it is unusually difficult.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
paulman182 said:
Welcome to the world of DVR's!

With two lines to each, you will be able to record two things at once or watch something while recording something different. One line to each will not allow this.

Normally your installer will put the extra lines in unless it is unusually difficult.
Hi Paulman

My 4x4 multiswitch is currently located on the roof near the AT-9. Does this mean the installer's only options would be to relocate/replace the multiswitch with a 4x8to the inside of the house or if not then run 4 additional lines from the roof to the house? I really don't like the idea of more cables outside.

Thanks

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
Yes, he would have to do one of the two. The better option is to run longer lines from the dish and put the multiswitch inside.

I notice you have an AT9. Your 4X4 multiswitch will not function with the new Ka satellites, so you really need the Zinwell WB68 multiswitch that is now standard for AT9 installs. The WB68 is not waterprooof, according to the manual.

If you do not care about the added functionality of having two tuners in each DVR, I think they will let you leave it at one if that's how you want it.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
paulman182 said:
Yes, he would have to do one of the two. The better option is to run longer lines from the dish and put the multiswitch inside.

I notice you have an AT9. Your 4X4 multiswitch will not function with the new Ka satellites, so you really need the Zinwell WB68 multiswitch that is now standard for AT9 installs. The WB68 is not waterprooof, according to the manual.

If you do not care about the added functionality of having two tuners in each DVR, I think they will let you leave it at one if that's how you want it.
Thanks for the reply Paulman,

I really have not checked whether it is a 4x4 multiswitch. I do know it is laying on the roof and was put there when the AT-9/H20 were installed a couple of months ago. So it is probably the WB6B you mention (it is however exposed to the elements).
The wife wants the ability to watch and record different programs so I guess I will have to run in additional lines.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.