DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
AllStar
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a current Directv subscriber with two 'standard' Samsung receivers. Can I upgrade one reciever to a DVR without upgrading my satellite and or wiring? If yes can I set up the DVR reciever myself or does an installer need to come in and do it?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Yes / No
Depeding on which dish you have, will dictate what features you can/can't use.

If you go with the R15... you will need a 2nd SAT feed from the dish, or the multiswitch to be able to get the full usage of both tuners.

The HR20 has the same issue as the R15, but you will also need the 3LNB or the 5LNB dish to be able to get HD programming.

Lately DirecTV has been requiring Installers if you order directly though them.
But if you purchase from a retail chain, you can do it yourself.

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
bigben7 said:
I'm a current Directv subscriber with two 'standard' Samsung receivers. Can I upgrade one reciever to a DVR without upgrading my satellite and or wiring? If yes can I set up the DVR reciever myself or does an installer need to come in and do it?
You probably want to run two cables to the DVR, although they will work with one. This way you will be able to watch one program while another is being recorded. If you get the receiver directly from Directv, they will probably have an installer deliver and install it, but if you get it from Best Buy or Circuit City, etc., you can install it yourself.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,777 Posts
To answer your second question (assuming your wiring is all ok), yes, you can install it yourself. It's pretty easy, actually (I did just that when my tivo died and I replaced it with an R15). If you do that, though, you'll be buying your DVR on your own (I went out to CC to get mine, paid the $100, and did the install). If you look around on some of these other threads, however, you'll see folks talking about a DVR4U2 promo that DirecTV was running. I would see if they're still running it (try ordering from the website, and put in the DVR4U2 as the promo code). You should get one for free - including installation. My feeling is - let them take care of the install. The install should also include the necessary hardware to get your DVR up and running (e.g. if you need a multi-switch). If you order via the website (with that promo) I believe you have to take the install... although that's really relative. When I ordered my second DVR (using that code), I had just about everything the installers needed all set up. All they needed to do was run a second line all of 10 feet to a multiswitch, plug the new one in, and turn it on. I called to activate it, and deactivate my standard receiver that the DVR was replacing.

·
AllStar
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jpl said:
To answer your second question (assuming your wiring is all ok), yes, you can install it yourself. It's pretty easy, actually (I did just that when my tivo died and I replaced it with an R15). If you do that, though, you'll be buying your DVR on your own (I went out to CC to get mine, paid the $100, and did the install). If you look around on some of these other threads, however, you'll see folks talking about a DVR4U2 promo that DirecTV was running. I would see if they're still running it (try ordering from the website, and put in the DVR4U2 as the promo code). You should get one for free - including installation. My feeling is - let them take care of the install. The install should also include the necessary hardware to get your DVR up and running (e.g. if you need a multi-switch). If you order via the website (with that promo) I believe you have to take the install... although that's really relative. When I ordered my second DVR (using that code), I had just about everything the installers needed all set up. All they needed to do was run a second line all of 10 feet to a multiswitch, plug the new one in, and turn it on. I called to activate it, and deactivate my standard receiver that the DVR was replacing.
Thanks for the info. related question....does the DVR require a constant phone connection?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,777 Posts
bigben7 said:
Thanks for the info. related question....does the DVR require a constant phone connection?
No, it doesn't. They'll TELL you that it needs to be hooked to a phone connection, but it really doesn't. However, an installer may require that you have a phone line connected when they do the install (in fact, when you order on line, you confirm that there is a phone jack near the DVR). Some installers are sticklers about it... some aren't. From what I understand DTV uses it's phone connections to verify that your unit is in the residence where you say it is (to prevent you from "sharing" with your neigbors). I remember when I first signed up for DTV (4 1/2 years ago) that that was a sticking point for me. I didn't have a phone jack near either TV, and at the time they said that you needed to have the standard receivers hooked up to a phone line. Their website warned that if you didn't have them hooked up, then they wouldn't mirror your account to multiple receivers, and they would charge you as having a separate account for EACH receiver.

Talking with a friend, he said that was nonsense - he had a second receiver nowhere near a phone line and never had an issue, so I called DTV and asked. The CSR first told me that, yes, I needed to have my receivers hooked to a phone line. When I pressed, she relented, and assured me it wouldn't be a problem.

Apparently that's the case with the R15 as well. That being said, if you get a DirecTV Tivo unit, that one DOES need to be hooked to a phone line. The R15 does not.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,777 Posts
Go over to the DirecTV R15 Q&A area. You'll see a thread called "Free R15, No Joke" that someone put out there on the specifics of ordering an R15 using the DVR4U2 promo code.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.