DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Cool Member
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My name is Omar and I just bought a new home. I am still trying to decide between Dish Network and DirecTV. I currently have Dish Network and really like their DVR (VIP622). I just read the press release about a new DVR from TiVo and DTV....

I'm still trying to figure out if I want to go with DirecTV or Dish Network. I love that DirecTV has NFL Sunday Ticket and more HD channels. Dish Network doesn't have KCAL 9 and MNT 13 in HD like DirecTV claims to have.

My biggest question is about the DVR with DirecTV. A couple of years ago, I switched from DirecTV to Dish Network because of their lack of HD channels and all the reported problems with the HR20. Now DirecTV has the most HD channels, but it appears people are still having some issues with the DVR.

So now I guess I'm leaving it up to everyone in this forum...if you were in my shoes, which option would you choose?

Cost is not really the issue but I do want an functional DVR to go along with the great programming. I love the VIP622 and how easy it is to use...PIP is not a big deal to me and neither is DLB.

I just don't want to be locked in to a 2 year contract unless I know the service is worth it.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
311 Posts
My first reaction was to tell you to move to DirecTV... But you know what? All change is perceived as bad, initially...even good change...

If you love your VIP622, you will always compare any DVR with it... It is simpler to use because you are used to it...

Unless you want content not available on DirecTV, I say stay put... I'd stay with a provider if I continued to be satisfied with their service and products... And that is why I stay with DirecTV...

Good luck on your decision!

Mike
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MikeekiM said:
My first reaction was to tell you to move to DirecTV... But you know what? All change is perceived as bad, initially...even good change...

If you love your VIP622, you will always compare any DVR with it... It is simpler to use because you are used to it...

Unless you want content not available on DirecTV, I say stay put... I'd stay with a provider if I continued to be satisfied with their service and products... And that is why I stay with DirecTV...

Good luck on your decision!

Mike
Thanks for your quick response, Mike. So I am assuming by your feedback that the DVR you are using is fine...The only reason I am considering switching to DTV is the TiVo HD DVR that is due out in a year. I like the additional channels that DirecTV offers. I was just wondering if the DVR problems I've heard is worth sticking it out with DTV. I don't want to sign a new contract with Dish and be stuck with them for 2 years...I'd rather go to DirecTV for two years knowing that their new DVR will be out, and that I'll stick have access to all the great extra content they provide. I'm a huge football fan and I like the new deal they are running for NFL sunday ticket.

Thanks

Omar
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
6,724 Posts
odawgx said:
...
My biggest question is about the DVR with DirecTV. A couple of years ago, I switched from DirecTV to Dish Network because of their lack of HD channels and all the reported problems with the HR20. Now DirecTV has the most HD channels, but it appears people are still having some issues with the DVR....
One thing to keep in mind is that forums such as this bring out people that have problems. People with no problems have no reason to post here. I will post that my HR20-100 has had very few problems. I have had no missed programs and it has only rebooted on its own once that I can remember.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
927 Posts
I switched to Dish from DirecTV because of issues I had with the HR20.

So my opinion is VERY biased. :lol:

If the DVR is important to you, I'd stick with Dish.
If content is more important, and DirecTV has something that Dish doesn't, consider switching.
If you watch a lot of Standard Definition, I'd switch to DirecTV. It's marginally better than Dish.

As jdspencer said "One thing to keep in mind is that forums such as this bring out people that have problems."
Notice that the DirecTV forum has MANY more complaints than the Dish forum.
Notice that the DirecTV forum has a sticky to report blank recordings whereas the Dish forum does not.

There's a reason for that.
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
15 Posts
For me, I've been with DTV for about 12 years. I've been with them for about the past 5 or so with DVR ( Tivo). I have had no issues that they were unwilling to address.

I recently, albeit, reluctantly, allowed them to upgrade my equipment to the HR21-100, from the HR10-250 (Tivo). I must say, I absolutely love it. I haven't had any problems except when trying to add the the eSATA drive enclosure. I'd wait until DTV really gets that stable if space is an issue for you, or if you want to keep recordings for long times.

Also, the other issue I have is that DTV pushes content down to your DVR without you requesting it. There are arguments here about whether this actually takes up "your" space, I'll leave that to others to argue about that. For me, that's about the only thing I can say bad about it.

Without having any experience with Dish, I vote for DTV.

Good luck
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
84 Posts
Redlinetire said:
I switched to Dish from DirecTV because of issues I had with the HR20.

So my opinion is VERY biased. :lol:

If the DVR is important to you, I'd stick with Dish.
If content is more important, and DirecTV has something that Dish doesn't, consider switching.
If you watch a lot of Standard Definition, I'd switch to DirecTV. It's marginally better than Dish.

As jdspencer said "One thing to keep in mind is that forums such as this bring out people that have problems."
Notice that the DirecTV forum has MANY more complaints than the Dish forum.
Notice that the DirecTV forum has a sticky to report blank recordings whereas the Dish forum does not.

There's a reason for that.
I'd counter that with the fact that dish has lost 25,000 subscribers in 2Q 2008.

There's a reason for that.

You can stay with Dish though - its only a matter of time before their name becomes DirecTV anyways. :lol:

I jest.. I jest..
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
73 Posts
jdspencer said:
One thing to keep in mind is that forums such as this bring out people that have problems. People with no problems have no reason to post here. I will post that my HR20-100 has had very few problems. I have had no missed programs and it has only rebooted on its own once that I can remember.
Same here. I've had only one issue in the year I've been with D*, and that was a fan that went out on an HR20. I have the protection plan and there was a tech here in a couple of days with a new HR21. Frankly, I've had D* as a provider for 10 of the last 11 years and never had any real issues (I had switched to FiOS for a while and then came back to D* when we moved to a new home). Frankly, the new D* MPEG4 is just as good as FiOS, IMO - yes, that was off topic :)
 

· RIP
Joined
·
6,203 Posts
Go to a store that has a demo HR2x setup and give it a try. If you can't find a store perhaps you know someone that does. Asking here is going to get you a range of opinions from It's a PoS to it's really what Moses carried down the mountain.

If the new DirecTV/Tivo relationship is what has you interested in...check back next year.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
927 Posts
aphex said:
I'd counter that with the fact that dish has lost 25,000 subscribers in 2Q 2008.

There's a reason for that.

You can stay with Dish though - its only a matter of time before their name becomes DirecTV anyways. :lol:

I jest.. I jest..
Actually, I do hope a merger happens! I'd be happy as all get out if I could get DirecTV programming on my Dish hardware. The best of both worlds in my opinion. Dish management is combative and as a result we constantly lose channels, for no other reason than Charlie's ego. But the DirecTV hardware is inferior, just ask anyone who's used both. Or look at the respective forums here on DBSTalk.

I'll likely go back to cable anyway now that Comcast has announced SpeedHD. Dish will never likely get SpeedHD and DirecTV's hardware is far too frustrating to contend with. Not nearly as much HD on cable, but it has what I watch and at least the SD is watchable - quality SD being something BOTH satellite companies have been ignoring.
 

· The Shadow Knows!
Joined
·
36,634 Posts
I can tell you for certain as I live in the Los Angeles DMA that DIRECTV has the following HD Locals:

KCBS(2)
KNBC(4)
KTLA(5)
KABC(7)
KCAL(9)
KTTV(11)
KCOP(13)

and KCET(28) is expected. They also have every SD local you've ever heard of and a bunch you probably haven't like Channel 8 and Channel 24.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,236 Posts
Direct with its NFL Ticket and extra HD channels is very tempting. As Long as those channels have HD contenth.

If you enjoy your ViP622, you will either take you sometime to get used to the new interface, or pull your hair out. Its a big change.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
685 Posts
I live in LA too. It is correct that directv offers the locals 2,4,5,7,9,11, and 13 in HD without an antenna. The nfl is awesome and every game is in hd also. Although the dish hd dvr is slightly better and more reliable it is not enough to avoid all the great hd content that directv offers. They even have a great offer right now for new subscribers. The premier package and sunday ticket for half price. I have 7 hr20/21 boxes and they all work fine. It costs a bit more but you said that wasn't a concern so go for it. I can get much more detailed if you need more answers.:)
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
314 Posts
GrumpyBear said:
Direct with its NFL Ticket and extra HD channels is very tempting. As Long as those channels have HD contenth.

If you enjoy your ViP622, you will either take you sometime to get used to the new interface, or pull your hair out. Its a big change.
I sure do miss my Vip722 and I am pulling my hair out. Wait a minute. I'm bald so I must be pulling at my scalp, ouch!!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
24,401 Posts
odawgx said:
Hello! My name is Omar and I just bought a new home. I am still trying to decide between Dish Network and DirecTV. I currently have Dish Network and really like their DVR (VIP622). I just read the press release about a new DVR from TiVo and DTV....

I'm still trying to figure out if I want to go with DirecTV or Dish Network. I love that DirecTV has NFL Sunday Ticket and more HD channels. Dish Network doesn't have KCAL 9 and MNT 13 in HD like DirecTV claims to have.

My biggest question is about the DVR with DirecTV. A couple of years ago, I switched from DirecTV to Dish Network because of their lack of HD channels and all the reported problems with the HR20. Now DirecTV has the most HD channels, but it appears people are still having some issues with the DVR.

So now I guess I'm leaving it up to everyone in this forum...if you were in my shoes, which option would you choose?

Cost is not really the issue but I do want an functional DVR to go along with the great programming. I love the VIP622 and how easy it is to use...PIP is not a big deal to me and neither is DLB.

I just don't want to be locked in to a 2 year contract unless I know the service is worth it.
I love my HRX's... They work great, I don't miss any recordings... But as others have said, I wouldn't even use that as a dertrement... Are you a Lakers or Dodgers Fan? If so, I'd move before the Lakers season starts... (dodgers are pretty much over this year :() All Lakers and Dodger games on KCAL are in HD. Actually, you will see every single Lakers game in HD if you have Directv. and most every other local sport shows at least 50% HD.. The only issue is 13... They haven't shown anything in HD in years...

Ken S said:
Asking here is going to get you a range of opinions from It's a PoS to it's really what Moses carried down the mountain.
Now that was funny :D
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top