DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A customer representative at DirecTV seemed to think that this was doable. Anybody have a DVR receiver (HD DVR) but without the DVR service? Is it possible to do this?

I am looking at making some upgrade to my DirecTV package. One of the representatives told me I could get a free receiver if I extended my contract, either an HD receiver or an HD DVR receiver. I'm not really that interested in the DVR service, but if I can get a free receiver, doesn't it make more sense to get the best receiver I can for free? If I got an HD DVR receiver, I could add DVR service at any time without having to risk extending my contract, at least that's my thoughts.

I realize that getting a DVR receiver and not paying for the DVR service means I won't be able to use the DVR aspect of the receiver. But does DirecTV's billing system automatically bill you for the DVR service if you have a DVR receiver?

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
I recently called and asked if I could have the DVR service turned off to see if I could live without it and save the money.
I was told that if I turned it off , then they would have to come and swap out the receivers. Then if I decided I wanted it back on I would have to pay to get the DVRs back.

I have 2 of them and I just love to be able to pause the live TV, record 2 channels while I watch something that was already recorded.
On the weekend I record the Nascar race and when commercials come on I switch to the Golf that is on that I am also recording. Skip thru the commercials on both channels and almost finish watching them both live, almost.. Once in awhile when I have 3 shows at once that I want to record I will record the 3rd one on the DVR in the bedroom .

The one I have in the bedroom is almost never used other than that. Sure as I turn it off I would miss it right away.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
And really, other than the features that require a hard drive (separate from the obvious), there really is little difference in functionality. Probably the biggest thing I can think of is that receivers have auto-tune, DVRs don't. Receivers don't get the full two week guide data, they get a week. Depending on models compared, receivers can be smaller than a DVR.

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
evotz said:
Is it possible to do this?
Absolutely not. Even if you managed to get someone to do it, account audit will get it back on

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
If you don't want DVR service, the newest HD receivers (the H25) is excellent and does everything a DVR does minus the DVR functions. You would gain nothing by having a DVR with DVR service turned off.

However, do reconsider your position. Having a DVR offers a LOT.

·
2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!
1,813 Posts
BrucePadgett said:
does the H25 have a two-week programming guide as well, like the DVRs?.
No it's around ~7 days. The H25's are extremely fast, I have two and they have been rock solid performers overall. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.