DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,856 Posts
If the drive was working and it isn't anymore, it isn't because the drive is too large. If that were the case, it wouldn't have worked out of the gate. Live TV doesn't require a working drive.

Chances are pretty good that the drive (or the interface if it is an eSATA setup) has failed.

To get the best help, sharing the model number of the DVR and how you've connected the drive is pretty much an imperative.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,856 Posts
I’m first going to replace the fan and see if that helps, if not, then replace the hard drive
If you're not getting warning messages about the DVR overheating, it probably isn't the fan that is the problem.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,856 Posts
The older recordings were probably clobbered by more recent recordings due to a corrupt superblock (allocation table).

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,856 Posts
a 1TB SSD is only $60 on Amazon. So anything smaller is cheaper.
When you can get a new name brand 4TB HDD for $75, why would you spend $60 for a much smaller no-name SSD (name brand 1TB SSDs start at $85). Don't leave out the cost of a 3.5" to 2.5" adapter that the SSD will require. SSDs have a few significant advantages but they certainly aren't a no-brainer.

Either way you get a new drive that should last at least as long as the 7-12 year old DVR.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,856 Posts
I always thought the drive is married to the receiver. I guess I am incorrect? Thanks.
The drive is indeed "married" to the receiver. Moving the HDD or the SSD to another DVR will require a re-format to make full use of the drive. I think the idea was that the new drive wouldn't be useless should the DVR fail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts