DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been exploring the inner hardware of my DVR and I have found any external port to route a previously recorded show to. The main issue I wish to address is that of transferring previously recorded media from the DVR to a separate media device, such as a DVD.

I wish to do so, if at all possible, without the use of any external devices, such as a DVD recorder. Is this at all possible?

Thank you for your steadfast support.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,010 Posts
The only device you can transfer the encrypted recordings to that will do you any good, is a PocketDish. And currently even the PD does not support HD programs so anything recorded in HD can not be transfered to the PD. Prerecorded SD programs can be copied to the PD using the USB connection. It takes about 10 minutes to copy a movie to the PocketDish.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So my best bet is a DVD recorder...okay. Good enough for the time being. I appreciate your support, Chuck. Many thanks.

·
Legend
187 Posts
I can highly recommend the Archos PocketDish. The device is very well built and the screen and audio quality is exceptional. I have the 500(e) model which has a 4.5" screen but they have one bigger if you want it. However, the bigger model (700, I think) does not fit in your shirt pocket very well and is a bit bulky all the way around. With the wonderful picture you get on the 500, I don't think a larger screen is really needed.

As Chuck said, the beauty of the thing is the ease with which DVR recordings are transfered to the device. I record a lot of operas on the Sirius Metropolitan Opera channel and it takes about 2 minutes to transfer the entire opera (audio only); a movie takes less than 10 minutes. Yes, it will not record HD nor does it support CCs but that aside, I can't imagine a better portable media device to compliment your Dish. This thing records everything, even from your record player - if you still have one - although these recordings are in real time. You can also download your music and photo library from your PC without additional software as Windows recognizes the Pocket right away as a portable device. Basically, the PocketDish is a hard drive with a screen. Media10 Player and Real Player also recognizes it as a recordable device.

I have a dvd recorder too but don't use it much anymore. First, you have to record your program to the dvr, then transfer it (in real time) to the dvd recorder. The only way to make it portable is to have a portable dvd player which is large and can not be easily carried. Anyone wanting to make portable any Dish recorded programs, along with virtually everything else, will find the PocketDish hard to beat.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,010 Posts
Yes, the AV700E is a bit large to carry in your pocket. When thinking of screen size I usually think bigger is better so I got the 7" screen model. It works great and the big screen is nice, but it is large to carry.

My only complaint with using it with the 622 is there is currently a problem using it as the EXT device with the 622. I can use it with my 311 receiver to make real time recordings just fine, but the 622 currently will not turn on and off the PD automatically like it should. The problem has been reported to Dish and will hopefully be corrected soon. Using it as an external recording device would let you record HD programs, down resed to the PD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.