DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Legend
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been with D* since 1998. Every time I make a change (not programming) I end up being charged $5.99 x month for DVR Service. Mind you, I've had the PREMIER PACKAGE for years and years.

Last month I dropped an old R10 that I never use (by the way, I have three HR20's currently). I'm on hold with a CSR right now and he's trying to tell me that I must pay the $5.99 x month now even though I have Premier.

What say ye?

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
Unrelated changes sometimes accidentally undo it. It took four phone calls and help from a DirecTV employee on this forum to get mine back when all I did was add the HD Extra pack. Many people are posting now that they are having no luck getting the service charge removed.

Sorry I don't have any good advice, but I do feel your pain.

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
Yes, changing your service can have the affect or dropping any Lifetime DVR service that you may have had .. you will need to call DIRECTV to get that changed or make sure it is done each time you alter your programming ..

If you elect the Plus with DVR service, then you will have to forgo Lifetime service .. at which point, you will no longer be able to keep it.

·
Legend
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But I didn't change anything except to DROP an old R10. The CSR (just now) gave me a $5.99 credit (temporarily) but said I now have to pay the DVR charge every month. I was on the phone for 35 minutes !!! I see online that he made so many other changes to try to fix this that by next month I'll probably have OTHER charges. I'm going to try to call back and get a Supervisor.

·
Legend
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am pissed beyond words right now. After the 2nd call I'm getting a 6-month only credit for the DVR Service. What absolutely is upsetting me right now is that last month (when I dropped the R10) - THAT CSR - should have informed me that I'll be trading a savings of $4.99 x month for a NEW CHARGE of $5.99 x month FOREVER !!!!

·
Hall Of Fame
4,922 Posts
I don;t know why but they tend to remove everything from the account and then add back only the things you are keeping when you make even the smallest change. Since DVR service is no longer included with Premier this could explain why this occured. I have no idea why they do this though.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Janice805 said:
I am pissed beyond words right now. After the 2nd call I'm getting a 6-month only credit for the DVR Service. What absolutely is upsetting me right now is that last month (when I dropped the R10) - THAT CSR - should have informed me that I'll be trading a savings of $4.99 x month for a NEW CHARGE of $5.99 x month FOREVER !!!!
There is a difference between the DVR service which was formerly included with Total Choice Premier, and the DVR Lifetime.

The current "Premier" package (no longer called Total Choice Premier) does *not* include DVR service.

What it sounds like is that you were switched from Total Choice Premier to just plain Premier. And for that, there's really no going back - the Total Choice plans are dead & buried.

As for "DVR Lifetime" - that's something different. That was a one-time $199 or $249 payment made for a "lifetime" DVR subscription. Those still endure and are covered under Section 7 of the Customer Agreement.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,922 Posts
CCarncross said:
Janice, complain all you want, DVR is not included in Premier anymore. There is no more and should not be any more grandfathering of the dvr fee.
But if you signed up for Premier whan it was included and YOU never drop premier then you should not be chanrged for it even if you do make other changes.

·
Legend
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I understand what you are saying EXCEPT that I never received any communication from DTV saying "with any future changes" YOU (Janice) will then be paying a DVR Fee". The CSR on the phone just now said they would NOT have charged me for it except for making that one change. I told the CSR this morning that the CSR from last month should have TOLD ME (then I wouldn't have made that change). And again, I received NOTHING from Direct TV informing me of this new charge/change/policy.

I know you all seem to be aware of it but I don't get a HARDCOPY bill and received nothing. It just came out of the blue as a complete surprise.

So in protest, I dropped the HD EXTRA PACK to compensate. I didn't watch it anyway. OK, enough said from me.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
Yes, the CSRs don't realize the problems they can cause when they take everything off and then re-add it. If you have a grandfathered package, it's gone.

The problem with Premier is that the name is the same, just DVR service is no longer included. So not only do they not know how to fix it, they do not even understand the problem.

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
paulman182 said:
Yes, the CSRs don't realize the problems they can cause when they take everything off and then re-add it. If you have a grandfathered package, it's gone.

The problem with Premier is that the name is the same, just DVR service is no longer included. So not only do they not know how to fix it, they do not even understand the problem.
I believe that there are some channels that are available in the new premier that were not available in the old premier, but .. that's just recollection and I don't remember all of the details.

Certainly, the "new" and the "old" are different .. if you're not careful, you can lose lifetime service.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
Sirshagg said:
But if you signed up for Premier whan it was included and YOU never drop premier then you should not be chanrged for it even if you do make other changes.
EXACTLY.

I have had DTV since 1995 and Premier since 2003. DVR was included. I added an HD DVR and now DVR is not included and I have to call in every 6 months for them to credit the fee.

I never changed from Premier and it is supposed to be grandfathered but when you change equipment is screws things up.

·
Legend
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just be advised that whether or not you THINK you're grandfathered in with the PREMIER PKG (and free DVR Service), you're NOT. This is new. Make one change and you'll be here posting mad as hell like I am. So, be forewarned.

According to Direct TV this is a NEW change !!!

·
Mentor
34 Posts
Janice805 said:
But I didn't change anything except to DROP an old R10. The CSR (just now) gave me a $5.99 credit (temporarily) but said I now have to pay the DVR charge every month. I was on the phone for 35 minutes !!! I see online that he made so many other changes to try to fix this that by next month I'll probably have OTHER charges. I'm going to try to call back and get a Supervisor.
The R10 was probably marked as your primary receiver and that dropped the grandfathered status. The same happened to me this weekend when I upgraded my last Tivo to DVR. 3 CSR's told me that DirecTV stopped the grandfathered program and would only offer me 6-12 months of free DVR service.

Finally I called retention and told him that my grandfathered status was lost due to upgrading my primary receiver. He understood and sent email to the backoffice to get the grandfathered DVR service reinstated on my account. This was last night and I'm now waiting for this to take effect.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
Doug Brott said:
I believe that there are some channels that are available in the new premier that were not available in the old premier, but .. that's just recollection and I don't remember all of the details.

Certainly, the "new" and the "old" are different .. if you're not careful, you can lose lifetime service.
I see now that she was on Premier for "years and years." The Premier package that I had only changed in the fact that they removed DVR service.

·
8 Posts
I'm a long time premier customer and I added a HR21 and a R16 last month. dvr service is still listed as $0.00 on my account. the HR21 is now the Primary receiver on my account. the R10 used to be.

·
Godfather
417 Posts
I have removed and added receivers (including the primary) at least 20 times over the last year with the most recent being last month and "Premier" package free DVR service still continues. They screwed up, you should continue to get it as "included."

·
Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
I am on the old Total Choice Plus package. This does not include DVR service, but it is about $5 less expensive than the equivalent new packages. I did de-activate an old UTV which was the primary receiver and the CSR had to “rebuild” my account in order for me to keep the TC+. It can be done, it’s just a matter of whether or not the CSR has the ability and wants to do it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.