DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
New Member
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is a mindlessly simple question for those on this forum, but it is not clear to me whether the "DVR monthly Service Fee" of $5.98 is some kind of programming fee or whether it represents a leasing fee for my 510 receiver. My 510 is not hooked up to a phone line due to its location in the house. My susbscription is for the "Top 60" I'm thinking of upgrading to a dual tuner model like a 522. Would that increase the monthly cost? I'm not interested in a HD model DVR.

Thanks for the info.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
Fred Stevens said:
OK, this is a mindlessly simple question for those on this forum, but it is not clear to me whether the "DVR monthly Service Fee" of $5.98 is some kind of programming fee or whether it represents a leasing fee for my 510 receiver. My 510 is not hooked up to a phone line due to its location in the house. My susbscription is for the "Top 60" I'm thinking of upgrading to a dual tuner model like a 522. Would that increase the monthly cost? I'm not interested in a HD model DVR.

Thanks for the info.
The DVR fee is for what it says having a working DVR. Has nothing to do with anything else.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
989 Posts
psnarula said:
some older DVRs don't have the fee (not sure which models -- somebody else can chime in with that).
501, 508, 721. The fee is known as the "because we can" fee.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,114 Posts
Fred Stevens said:
My 510 is not hooked up to a phone line due to its location in the house. My susbscription is for the "Top 60" I'm thinking of upgrading to a dual tuner model like a 522. Would that increase the monthly cost?
You can't give a flat yes/no to the "Would that increase the monthly cost?" question without knowing more. We don't know what your current monthly cost is, how many receivers you have, if you have upgraded to the 510 as an existing subscriber, ...

If you upgrade to a dual output receiver like a 522/625, you WILL pay an additional $5/month if you fail to connect it to a phone line. Certainly, if you were to upgrade to the dual output and not disconnect the existing 510, you would pay an additional $5.98 DVR fee as well as the $5/month lease fee in addition to a possible phone line $5. Your bill MIGHT increase by that $5/month lease fee if you replace the 510 with a 522/625. That would depend on how you obtained the 510. If you obtained it under the existing subscriber DISH'n It Up promotion, you are already paying a $5/month lease fee (and it would be a line item on your bill) for it . If that case, it would cost you nothing in monthly payments to replace the 510 with a 625. If you own the 510, or got it as a leased receiver when you signed up with DISH and it is your ONLY receiver, you aren't paying $5/month for it now, as the 1st receiver on an account is included with the AT60 subscription (unless that 1st receiver is a DISH'n It Up).

If you have another receiver on the account besides the 510, there would be no monthly difference in cost if you replace the 510 with a 625 (assumes it plugs into a phone line).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
989 Posts
army1 said:
hey i agree, charley needs the money, directv doesn't have this phone charge
wish i had stayed.
My post was in reference to the DVR fee which, of course, DIRECTV does have.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,114 Posts
cj9788 said:
You will not have the DVR fee by subbing to an Everything Pack.
Jump from the stated AT60 ($30) to AEP ($85) and you don't have to pay $5.98! If he kept both the 510 and added a 625, he'd save $11.96 by just paying an extra $55. That has savings written all over it. ;)
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,114 Posts
army1 said:
hey i agree, charley needs the money, directv doesn't have this phone charge
wish i had stayed.
Nor does DirecTV have dual output receivers (the only receivers with the phone line fee). If you want two outputs, you get two receivers and have to pay the $5 as an additional lease fee. Where DirecTV shines is an account having multiple dual tuner, single output, DVRs with a single DVR fee for the lot of them. Getting an HD DVR at all isn't its strong area for the moment (it will improve).
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
238 Posts
When Dish first offered its own house branded DVR's, Dish touted that they did not have an additional fee for having a DVR as Direct TV, Tivo (built-in to their monthly charge) and cable did. Some time later, Dish changed the policy. Well, let's face it. Everyone else is getting this "DVR fee" revenue, so, perhaps, Charlie figured why should he be the only one missing out on that stream of cash. I do think, however, that Dish is still the least expensive in "DVR fees" than any cable company out there.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
214 Posts
DishSubLA said:
When Dish first offered its own house branded DVR's, Dish touted that they did not have an additional fee for having a DVR as Direct TV, Tivo (built-in to their monthly charge) and cable did. Some time later, Dish changed the policy. Well, let's face it. Everyone else is getting this "DVR fee" revenue, so, perhaps, Charlie figured why should he be the only one missing out on that stream of cash. I do think, however, that Dish is still the least expensive in "DVR fees" than any cable company out there.
Yeah but i've seen TiVo fees upwards to 16.95/month and the cable company in my area charges $9.99/month plus the lease fee for the DVR box for a craptacular DVR service that cannot match the quality of the 625...
Imagine this paying $10.00 for a DVR that skips every other "new recording", (It'll record episode 50 of Lost, but skip 51, and then record 52) resets your manually set timers... (no 7:59p.m. - 9:02pm start times after the first recording, it resets it to 8:00p.m. - 9:00p.m.); then there is an issue of diskspace on my cable companies DVR. You cannot record more than 24 hours worth of programming as it makes the box full but as we speak i have 70+ programs on my DishDVR with 35+ hours. Now after hearing this about TiVo and my local cable comapny imagine using the DishDVR for $5.98. I personally think it is a great deal.

-- BTW after a month i ditched cable.. i'm 100% DISH again because it sucked so bad.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,099 Posts
IT would be a great deal if it was per account rather than per receiver. That is just plain greedy. I don't know of anyone else in cable or Directv that charges per receiver. Correct me if I am wrong but I think Tivo will give you a discounted price if you sub to more than one dvr.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top