DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Godfather
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HR22 is now skipping new episodes of "The Pacific." It recorded the first 5 episodes fine. I have changed nothing and confirm it is still set to record first run episodes. I have confirmed it is showing Episodes 6 and 7 in the upcoming episodes list and showing them as frist run. And I have looked at the To-Do list and it does not show that there are any conflicts that re causing it not to record -- it simply doesn't list them in the to-do list period or show them as set to record from the upcoming episode list. It's as if the season pass doesn't exist yet there it is, right in the list. I even watched it for a couple days after the data appeared just to make sure this wasn't an issue of the to-do list just needing time to catch-up with new data. Nope. I have not set it to manually record the next two episodes.

but this is a disturbing development. If I can't even trust the DVR's to-do list to at least show when it is not recording upcoming programs, the entire concept of the DVR falls apart. I now will have to manually check every show to see if they have new episodes coming up and compare it to the to-do list to make sure it isn't randomly skipping even listing them.

Has anyone else experienced or heard of anything like this? Not sure what I can do about it either. A reset didn't make any difference.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
5 episodes is usually the default setting for series links, I know as I have had this happen in the past.

Check your setting on this SL and see if it's set to "record all episodes"

I would triple check to make sure this is not the case.

Edit: if your SL is set up correctly, try a menu-reset on the DVR in question.

·
Godfather
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
barryb said:
5 episodes is usually the default setting for series links, I know as I have had this happen in the past.

Check your setting on this SL and see if it's set to "record all episodes"
I have been watching the episodes and deleting them as I go so there were only l2 left in the queue. And just to cover the bases I did just check and it is set for "all" episodes. But good thought.

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
Sometimes what doesn't show in the To-Do List ends up recording. With multiple replays through the week, you could cancel your manual entry then, let it see if records tonight & if not, record a reairing.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Also worth noting:

For my programs that I must not miss, I always move the priority of such series link to the top of my priority list. I have three people here that record stuff too, so I never know what they are going to add in as their recordings.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Citivas said:
What is a "menu-reset"? I did do a reset from the menus but I assume you're referring to something more specific.
Exactly what you described... its easy as can be, and this will get the DVR to reload the guide data.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I am going to do some yard work (much needed). Do let us know the outcome! :)

I have found that -most- of the time -in my house- problems like this seemed to come from human error. This may not be the case in your house for sure. It usually surrounds a 10 year old and some guy named Justin Beiber. That guy likes to put himself in front of most of my programming.

·
Godfather
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
barryb said:
I am going to do some yard work (much needed). Do let us know the outcome! :)

I have found that -most- of the time -in my house- problems like this seemed to come from human error. This may not be the case in your house for sure. It usually surrounds a 10 year old and some guy named Justin Beiber. That guy likes to put himself in front of most of my programming.
No change after another reset. I undid the manual recordings first but it didn't automatically recreate them via the season pass afterward. It is prioritized fine and the schedule shows no conflicts in the time frame anyway, including before and after -- it just is skipping them. The only thing I haven't tried is the above suggestion to not manually set them to record and see if they record anyway because apparently others sometimes have things missing from their to-do's that record regardless. I've never noticed this before with mine. I have seen many problems over my 10+ years of DVR use -- shows set not to record for invalid reasons, shows that recorded blank data, shows that set themselves to record at the wrong time, etc. But this is a first to have shows with seemingly correct guide data and a correct season pass setup that don't even show up in the to-do at all.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,510 Posts
barryb said:
Exactly what you described... its easy as can be, and this will get the DVR to reload the guide data.
Actually, I believe it takes 2 resets within 1/2 hour to reload guide data. Otherwise, it keeps the guide cached. However, you want do do this with enough lead time for the guide to reload your to do's. It usually picks up the guide data for the next several hours very quickly, but not always.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I'd completely flush the guide data as others have suggested (Do a menu reset, then once you're back to Live Tv, immediately do another menu reset). Once guide data starts to populate enough so that when you do a search for the show, it's showing up, delete the current Series Link for the show and create an entirely new one.

·
Broadcast Engineer
4,153 Posts
I think there is a developed flaw (and by that I mean they broke something that used to work) in the last couple of up revs. Try this: go to the guide and find the next airing that should be recorded. If it has the multiple orange circled "R"s it will most likely record. If it doesn't, select it and press the record button once. If that makes the multiple R's show up, you know you have an issue, and probably the same issue many of us are pretty unhappy about.

There is no logical situation where a program in the guide that shows no "R" will show multiple "R"s after selecting and pressing the record button once, at least assuming things are working properly, which I contend they are definitely not. If it is a program not in the SL, there will be no single R or multiple R, and that's normal, and pressing record will at first place a single R there rather than the multiple R. If it is scheduled to be recorded (as a repeating program) there will be multiple Rs already, and that is normal. If it has no R's and pressing record once creates multiple Rs, that is not normal and is smoking-gun evidence that the OS has been compromised via up revs, which DTV sorely needs to fix.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.