DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DVR upgrade quandary

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  dmspen 
#1 ·
We have a 522 receiver. I would like to upgrade sometime to an HD DVR - maybe that Hopper that is being heavily advertised. The problem is that we still have a lot of shows on the 522 that we haven't seen. While new programming comes in, I can't ever see us clearing up the backlog completely.

So, I was thinking that I'd try to do an upgrade, but try to keep the 522 around on its own to watch the shows on that while new material arrives on the new DVR which has a lot more storage capacity.

Anyway, I was wondering whether Dish would let me do this and how much it might cost to do the upgrade these days. Any advice?

Thanks.

#3 ·
Do you own or lease the 522?

You can upgrade using the Dishn it up program, the cost greatly depends on where you stand with Dish as a customer and what you have on the account (like if you have the protection plan). It would also incur a 2 year contract.

If you upgrade to a vip model receiver you could keep the 522 available on the side for awhile to watch your backlog, if you dont mind paying an extra receiver fee.
If you go for the hopper though you wont be able to do this , if im not mistaken Dish is currently only support the hopper system alone and not mixing it into older configurations.
I.e. no hopper+ models that came before it.
edit: Ninjad by stewart while i was typing this xD

#4 ·
Inkosaurus said:
Do you own or lease the 522?

You can upgrade using the Dishn it up program, the cost greatly depends on where you stand with Dish as a customer and what you have on the account (like if you have the protection plan). It would also incur a 2 year contract.

If you upgrade to a vip model receiver you could keep the 522 available on the side for awhile to watch your backlog, if you dont mind paying an extra receiver fee.
If you go for the hopper though you wont be able to do this , if im not mistaken Dish is currently only support the hopper system alone and not mixing it into older configurations.
I.e. no hopper+ models that came before it.
edit: Ninjad by stewart while i was typing this xD
Thanks for the advice. I saw people mentioning no VIPs with the Hopper in another thread, but I guess there aren't many people still left with 522s who'd try to get one.

I don't have the protection plan but I am on the auto pay plan and have been past the 2 years point for quite some time.

Strangely enough, while I use to be able to find info on the dish'n it up program on the Dish Network page, I can't at the moment.

#9 ·
I've had some form of DVR since 1999, and one of my first lessons was: if you can't clear the backlog then you're recording a bunch of stuff that will never be watched. At some point, the DVR can even become a burden as you try to manage the backlog.

So I would watch the absolutely critical stuff, then dump the rest of those old SD recordings and record fresh new glorious HD material.

#10 ·
AFAIK
IF you OWN.... the 522 (keep it).

You can disconnect it from the satellite antenna 1ST and cancel the service to it.
(you won't have to a pay a monthly fee for it)

Don't reconnect it to the satellite, you can watch what's already recorded on the 522.

Get a new receiver/dvr for your current Dish service.

#12 ·
With the advent of the Hopper/Joey system, people might be dumping their owned DVRs. You might be able to pick one up fairly inexpensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.