DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Is it possible to use a SSD with the hopper 3 and if so specifically which one is known to work?
2. I bought a Western Digital "Elements" drive 4TB drive but it won't work even though it has external power supply. Specifically what drive in the at least 2TB range is known to work? I already have three external My Book AV HDs but I need one USB for off air adapter, so would like to get # of HDs down to one or two.
3. I notice when I select DVR now it brings up not only my existing recordings but on demand and future recordings. Is this something new or can I change a setting to only get recordings I made that are on the HD
Thanks

·
Cool Member
52 Posts
Unless things have changed the Hopper can only access USB 2 drives. If the Elements drive is USB 3, it may not work. That said, years ago when we had a pair of 622s, then 722s I started using drop-in docks and bare drives. I try to categorize what goes on a drive.

FWIW

·
Hall Of Fame
3,990 Posts
Using an SSD as an EHD on a DVR is a terrible waste of a high speed drive on a moderately slow speed activity. I have an external drive dock and buy internal 3.5 inch spinning drives that plug in to my dock. Any drive up to 7TB should work with a dock on an H3.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,500 Posts
I'll agree that using an SSD drive as an external on your DVR is a waste - there is simply not that much drive work that requires it. I haven't tried HD larger than 2GB, but if bigger ones will work, you will have LOTS of partitions.

Just make sure that any external HD is powered on its own power supply. DVRs aren't engineered to power them through the USB port.

·
Registered
85 Posts
8-9-2022 at 1:05 PM - PDT

I asked one DISH Installer/Tech about this, and he informed me that the USB Port on the H3 MUST connect, (first), through a powered USB Hub, THEN connect the Hard Drive or SSD to that powered Hub. He DIDN'T mention anything about 'IF' the Drive was also powered. Can anyone else speak to this, or better define the parameters of connecting an External Drive or SSD?

[EDIT:] There's also, (from reading these Forums), the Disk Size Limitation of 7 TB.

TimeLord04

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,724 Posts
by default PC USB ports allow drain up to 500 mA, we don't know what are specs of H3 in regards USB load

using external powered USB hub dismiss the concern

so, practically, if your SSD specs shows required current 500 mA or less, you don't need the hub with own PSU

·
Super Moderator
53,904 Posts
The spec DISH published for external drives requires the external drive to be powered. The spec doesn't say whether the drive is powered directly or can be powered via a hub - just that the DISH equipment should not be powering the drive. The initial design did not allow for hubs so it was all direct powered devices.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,724 Posts
The spec DISH published for external drives requires the external drive to be powered
It was long time ago ... in relation of first DVR supporting EHD (was it 622 ?).
For today, Hopper's HW is dramatically changed, I'm not sure if we must bring back that requirement again.

You hit my engineering nerve !
Here is testing the hopper and current notebook HP (12+ years ) old.
Equipment:
  • eLoad PLZ 72W
  • DMM Fluke 189
  • USB 2.0 port of the hoooper and notebook
H3 and HPnb Voltage [V] - Current [A]
5.159 4.707 - 0
5.115 4.617 - 0,1
5.077 4.535 - 0.2
5.011 4.458 - 0.3
4.970 4.382 - 0.4
4.933 4.300 - 0.5
4.898 4.225 - 0.6
4.857 4.146 - 0.7
4.818 4.054 - 0.8
4.777 3.880 - 0.9
4.740 3.938 - 1.0
4.630 3.738 - 1.27 ( I stop here)

Someone want make the H3 hotter ?! ;)

·
Super Moderator
53,904 Posts
Do you have a more current spec from DISH network? If not, their last word is the last word on their specification. And their specification is the statement in my post.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,724 Posts
You shouldn't insist on validity of old statement, what for sure does not applicable to new HW. regardless if there is no updates from the company. As you aware they did stop informing customers about many things long time ago ...

·
Super Moderator
53,904 Posts
Take a USB powered hard drive, connect it to your Hopper 3, let us know if it works.
(And by works, I mean able to record and play back content.)
Until then, I'll rely on the published specs - which beat speculation any day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts