DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Legend
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain why is it that Echo 8 will help picture quality?

One could think that Dish will move some channels from 119 to 110 once Echo 8 is operational. But, they could actually do that now since Echo 5 has some space in it now from some locals that have moved to the spotbeams at 119W.

Also, one could think that the Dish will move some of the spots from 119 to 110 once Echo 8 is operational, but that would mean that some of Echo 7 transps. would not be able to work at double power. Right? So this probably won't happen.

I wonder what the plans are for transponder use once Echo 8 is up.

· Hall Of Fame/Supporter
2,818 Posts
Well 110 has a lot of LIL on it now. They would be moved to E8 spot beams. There are about 15 transponders used on E8 for LIL that will probably move to spot. This means that 15 national transponders will be replace by 5 spot beams. So, 10 National transponders would be freed up (5 spot beam take over 5 National freqencies).

There are also 2 transponders not used on 110 right now (they are where the spots will go).

This will leave 12 free national transponders. They can then spread out some of the national transponder loads to these freed up ones. So, there will be fewer channels per transponder, which will lead to more bits per channel, and that should result in better PQ.

· Hall Of Fame/Supporter
2,818 Posts
Well it depends on how many channels they move from 119 to 110. The can move those from ATA 150 to 110 because they say you have to have dish 500 to get ATA 150. Right now this includes music channels, encore westerns, outdoor channel, etc.

I do not know what else they could move, but it will be clear that there are a lot of transponders on 110 that could get national programming. Dish would probably like everyone to get Dish500 so that they could move channels around like crazy.

It would be nice if they moved E7 to 110 also, and just have 110 do LIL on 10 transponders (E7 does 1,3,5,7,9 and E8 does 2,4,6,8,10). 110 could become the locals and 119 could do nationals.

· Legend
106 Posts
Do you really think they're going to use that extra bandwidth to improve picture quality? I suppose it's possible, but my guess is they'll just add more local markets, or perhaps go to 3/4 FEC on the rest of their transponders to reduce rain fade...
I could be wrong... did anyone hear that they WOULD be improving picture quality?

· AllStar
89 Posts
"I could be wrong... did anyone hear that they WOULD be improving picture quality?"

after the
MergerMergerMergerMergerMergerMergerMe
gerMergerMergerMergerMergerMergerMerger

Every problem DISH has will be sovled instanly after the MERGER.

· Hall Of Fame
2,584 Posts
I already jumped (see other thread). I had expected w/ E*7 things would get better. They have not. I hold no expectation for E*8. Seems they have cities lined up for E8. I wished for better PQ and more DD5.1 on premiums...never happened so off to cable land.

· Hall Of Fame/Supporter
2,818 Posts
Well after doing some calculations, E8 does not hold out much hope of improving PQ a lot. To get quality up they need to get down to about 8 channels per transponder. That would require them to move about 32 channels off of 119 to 110 to get the channel count down. It is very unlikely that they could move that many channels because it would mean that a lot of people still on dish 300 would have to be upgraded to 500.

· Godfather
318 Posts
It's strange that this hasn't been mentioned, but I've noticed that the PQ on Dish is at least as much a function of the feed from the content provider as the capacity of the satellite.

When I was able to get national PBS on 61.5W, it was clearly superior PQ to TV5 (on Int'l a la carte). Checking around with folks who know, it became clear that, aside from dropouts, which have a very distinctive and transient visual effect, the general PQ is determined by the bandwidth of the feed to the uplink. As long as you've got a lock (and therefore no dropouts), the bandwidth of the downlink doesn't change, and often exceeds what was fed to E*.

Some providers simply deliver a better signal to E* than others, and I am far from happy with the low quality of the poorer ones, but the best are fairly decent (compression artifacts being minimal and relatively unobtrusive). But to reinforce what another person said (DarellP, I think), a good clean analog signal is still superior to anything I've seen on E*, D*, or any digital cable. When we used to get analog Kband in Europe (HotBird and others), the PQ was awesome, and you could replay recordings in slow motion and see beautiful detail. Don't bother trying that with anything you record from E*. I await HD with great anticipation, and will be mightily pissed if any of the material shows the poor quality of many of E*'s sources. That would be utterly inexcusable.

x

· Hall Of Fame/Supporter
2,818 Posts
It all comes down to a matter of bits. As demonstrated by HDTV, you send enough bits out you get a great picture.

Dish at its worst had 12 channels on every transponder or about 2.5mbit/sec. Right now they are running about 10 channels per transponder on 119 or about 3mb/sec. With 8 channels (they are running some of the transponders down this low) you get 3.8mbit/sec. The ones with 8 channels per transponder have noticably better picture.

I do not think anyone would complain if they got down to 7 channels per transponders. At almost 4.4mbit/sec they would approach DVD quality.

· Legend
126 Posts
I really don't think there is much wrong with the PQ, but feeds do differ, some are better than others, E* need to concentrate on getting perfect signals at the uplink and that would solve 90 percent of the problem. Also always use s-video to feed your TV, there is a huge difference between that and analogue and if you can't use s-video there is still a big difference between analogue and composite video via the RCA connectors. Really, if you get it right in the installation the PQ is pretty good.

· Godfather
318 Posts
Originally posted by Mike123abc
It all comes down to a matter of bits. As demonstrated by HDTV, you send enough bits out you get a great picture.
I agree with you on that, but it's the bandwidth of the feed to E* that makes the difference. If it's a highly compressed feed, it doesn't matter what the bandwidth of the bird to your receiver is.

True, higher capacity on the sat *allows* providers to send more data, but not all will do so. If you have providers sending garbage that is at a lower data rate than what the bird can handle, adding capacity won't get these laggards to improve their feed - until and unless E* charges them less, assuming that figures in at all.

x

· Godfather
318 Posts
Originally posted by johnsmith22
Also always use s-video to feed your TV, there is a huge difference between that and analogue and if you can't use s-video there is still a big difference between analogue and composite video via the RCA connectors.
I do use the s-video output, and it can't do anything about compression artifacts except make them even more visible. At least there are a few really good providers - usually the PBS stations (though not all). And PPV seems to be pretty good.

x

· Godfather/Supporter
286 Posts
I upgraded to a 46" HDTV monitor so PQ is atrocious at this point.

I WILL jump back to cable if they can offer HD, an HD PVR, and better PQ. But since my cable company is corrupt, bankrupt, under investigation Adelphia, I consider myself lucky its still working.

BTW, I already use cable internet so have to pay for basic cable anyway. Comes in handy during storms to watch for the tornado warnings when I am under rain fade.

· Icon
643 Posts
I wished for better PQ and more DD5.1 on premiums...never happened so off to cable land.
AFAIK, Dish has as much DD5.1 on premiums as exists. Are there DD5.1 channels that Dish does not carry in DD?

· Godfather/Supporter
281 Posts
I remember that long time ago, before Echo 7 was launched, Charlie said that Echo 7 would NOT improve PQ or signal strength but Echo 8 will improve the signal strength and PQ.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.