DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by this post and many others that have requested this feature, I decided to have a little fun the other day and make something to ILLUSTRATE what we all want from Dish.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, I'll catch you up. Currently, when you go to make a timer on your DVR, one of two things will happen. If you have "record plus" turned off, the timer you create will be recoded on the TV you make it on. So if you are watching TV1 and create a timer, it will record on TV1. But like most people, we have "record plus" turned on, So no matter what TV you create the timer on, it always gets pushed to TV2. The problem is, there is no way to MANUALLY tell the receiver what tuner you want something to record on. For example, You want to record a show from 9:00pm - 10:00pm on a channel. You create the timer, and it gets set for tuner 2. It's now night time and you're lying in bed watching a good movie that isn't set to be over until 9:30pm. Its now 8:59pm and you get the countdown clock on the screen that means the channel is going to change so it can record the other show. You're nice and cozy in bed and the only way to finish the movie it is if you went downstairs to watch it on the big screen, but you don't want to do that. Sure, you could create a timer to record the end of the event, but then it would record on TV1 because TV2 was already set before hand. The only way to prevent all this is to cancel BOTH timers, then first set the one for your movie upstairs on TV2, then recreate your old timer that would be set for TV1. By the time you do all this, you just spent more time than if you were just able to WATCH the last few minutes of the movie and go to bed.

The solution? Create an option PER timer that lets you choose what tuner you want it on. That way if you have a timer set for late at night that would go to TV2, and you know that your going to be watching TV2 at that time, you could tell it to do it on TV1 because no one would be watching it at that time.

Also, there could be a "smart" option added so the receiver doesn't choose the tuner to record it on UNTIL the event starts. That way, if the receiver sees that TV2 is in use, then it would AUTOMATICALLY start the recording on TV1 - and vice versa. An even better idea would be to create a way to "transfer" programs/tuners. That way, if you turn on a TV and it is currently recording, a message would come up to say that a recording is in progress and that it can either be transferred to the other TV that is not in use (swap tuners), stopped, or you could could push cancel and it would continue recording on the same tuner it was when it started.

Now for the pictures. I am in no way a pro at Photoshop, so please excuse my bad editing job.

The first pics is what currently comes up, the second pic is what SHOULD come up in the future.
~
~

~
~

~
~
So what do you guys say? Is my logic right in all this? I say we send this to the developers at Dish so they could work on this and hopefully release a software update to enable such features.

If you agree, please reply! Lets get this thread full of pages of people saying they would like to see this!

Also, if anyone would have the appropriate email address to send this to at Dish, please PM me.

Thanks!
Scott

Attachments

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
Is this a problem you experience in dual mode? I ask because running in single mode I never experience what you are describing unless I have multiple timers firing at the same time or overlapping times.

In single mode, timers (regardless of how defined) will fire on the first unused tuner. When in doubt, bring up PiP when a timer is within a minute of firing.. it will ask you whether you want to use the PiP window OR the main window to start the timer. If you don't choose anything it will use the "other" tuner not the main one.

I've never had the receiver force a channel change unless the tuner I'm watching was needed (happens for any OTA timer when you are watching a different OTA channel OR when a 2nd sat timer is about to fire off while another sat recording is in progress).

· Registered
2,396 Posts
HDMe said:
Is this a problem you experience in dual mode? I ask because running in single mode I never experience what you are describing unless I have multiple timers firing at the same time or overlapping times. ...
HDMe,
It's really noticeable in Dual Mode while watching TV2. Any time a Sat Timer fires TV2 will either watch that show as it records or you can Opt to watch a recorded show. If only one timer is going to fire, you can set a new timer to record the live show you had been watching and opt to watch that recording while the previously timer is firing.

I don't view it as a problem in my situation.

As you say, in Single Mode the same thing occurs if two sat timers are firing simultaneously. (ATSC would, however, remain an option for additional viewing in addition to existing recordings.

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
That's what I was thinking... that is was primarily a dual mode issue. I think the problem here is that the receiver has no real way of determining when a tv is in use or not except by turning that tuner "off" when in dual mode.

Since dual mode is intended to function as if you had two separate receivers (without actually having the 2 receivers) then I don't know a good way around this... because if you are in dual mode and a timer fires, it may be fine for that moment to have it go to the other tuner that is not in use... but as soon as someone else comes home then they will be the one forced to watch what is being recorded and it may not be their timer that is going.

In my opinion, when this becomes a major problem the viewer probably really needs to have a dual tuner receiver at each viewing location instead of the shared dual-mode configuration.

I, unfortunately, can't think of a "fix" for this scenario that wouldn't screw the viewer at the other tuner.

· Godfather
396 Posts
The whole issue is trying to reduce the effect on the usage of DVR's from effecting each other when in Dual mode.

The real solution would be to make each DVR independent.

Might make more since to have an advanced setup option.

(X) Enable Dual Mode <= Would be nice to do this without the physical button
(X) TV1 and TV2 tuners are not shared
( ) Only allow recording from TV1

If we are set to Dual Mode and the 'not shared' option is now set then TV1 will act like a single tuner DVR. Also TV2 with also act like a single tuner DVR.

TV1 would always record to tuner-1 and TV2 would always record to tuner-2 in this mode.

Even this method would be very complex to add.
The timers would need to deal with case changes.
We setup our timers using Single mode then we change to Dual mode.
In this case the 'who owns' the timer (TV1 or TV2) comes into play.

When we have program timer conflicts this even get worse.
We have two programs to record at the same time. Now we changed from SINGLE MODE to DUAL MODE. We will no longer be able to record both programs if the tuners are setup as not shared. Now if we return to SINGLE MODE we have to re-resolve those events.

The more you look at it the more what Dish did makes since.

Really the bottom line is:
If you record then get a second HD receiver or DVR for the secondary room.

I have two 622's which I run in SINGLE MODE.
Since my mother-in-law moved in with us 'now there are three here' I reactivated a DP311 for my mother-in-law. Seems we are always recording one or two shows at a time on both 622's. Dual mode just did not fit our use case here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.