1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Icon
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a letter from Dish informing me that as of
August 1, the cost of distant nets would increase $1
dollar a month. I'm not going to quote the entire
letter here but it also said that if eligible, the national
PBS feed would be available to me at no extra charge.
Pricing for one distant net package (NBC,CBS, ABC
and FOX) will be $5.99 a month. Two is $8.99
a month and three (for me this means Atlanta, NY and
LA) is priced at $11.99 a month. Obviously, you save
a little by subscribing to all three.
Anyone else receive a letter like this?

· Hall Of Fame
2,585 Posts
Are you currently getting three distant nets, or is Atlanta considered a local package? Per SHVIA, you can only receive 2 distant nets. I would think this really breaks down as:

1 Distant=$5.99
2 Distant=$8.99
2 Distant + Supers=$11.99

You can live within a DMA and still be considered in a "white area" allowing you both the LIL Atlanta and 2 distant nets and supers. Don't know what the price for all of that would be.

· Icon
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike W.

You are correct. Atlanta is a local package for me. I also
subscribe to the Supers. Pricing is as stated. I live
just inside the Atlanta DMA, maybe ten miles from
the Greenville S.C. DMA.

· Fromer Member
1,113 Posts
So it's going up by $2 to $11.99? I'm not sure what I pay now. The super stations (excluding the Denver one) use to be part of the average programming package a few years ago.

· Icon
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think some clarification is necessary. The letter says
the price of two distants packaged with my locals (Atlanta) will
increase to $11.99 August 1...one dollar for each (NY, LA ). By subscribing to all three E* claims I am saving
$ 5.98. Supers are included in the price increase. Sorry for any confusion in the earlier posts.

· Icon
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most likely you are in a Grade "A" or "B" signal, and under
the law you are not eligible.
Distant nets are offered only to those in so called "white areas",
areas too far from network tv station towers to receive a
watchable signal.
Where I live OTA signals are highly variable, from great
to horrible, day to day and hour to hour.

· Banned
11,498 Posts
So are the supers going up or not? :confused:

· Hall Of Fame
2,585 Posts
Got the letter today and boo :mad: they will also be removing all the extra channels (i.e. Dallas UPN/WB/PBS/IND). I knew this was coming, but hoped it wouldn't be until after the merger. I even purchased a couple of SW21s and hooked them up to my old DirecTV Dual LNB dish to pick up the stuff on 148. Oh well, at least I'll still have the International Promo Channel. The only thing I'll really miss is the Texas Rangers on KDFI.

· Hall Of Fame
2,585 Posts
All-Here's the letter:

Starting August 1st, the price of the Distant Network and Superstation packages will be increased by one dollar. Your August billing statement will reflect the price change for Distant Network packages or Superstations.

Additionally, if you qualify for the National PBS and you are taking a Distant Network package, National PBS (channel 249) will automatically be included in the package on August 1st. Also, in your Distant Network package you are receiving additional network channels along with your 4 major networks that we are required by law to remove. In the coming weeks, you will no longer receive network channels other than ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX.

In order to simplify your pricing for these packages and provide you the best value, we have created the following pricing discounts for our local channels, Distant Networks and Superstations. If you qualify for and subscribe to multiple packages, you will receive a discount on the second and/or third service.

One package: $5.99
Two packages: $8.99
Three packages: $11.99

Dish network is committed to providing you with the best value...yada yada yad and look forward to serving you for years to come.

· Hall Of Fame
2,585 Posts
After some thought, here's my analysis of who saves and who doesn't.

Currently, I get Dallas, Denver and Supers. It's $4.99 for each package. I pay $14.97/month. I will save $2.98.

Folks who subscribe to NY/LA/Supers pay $9.99 per month. They'll pay an extra 2 bucks a month.

· AllStar
62 Posts
Originally posted by Pete K.
I received a letter from Dish informing me that as of
August 1, the cost of distant nets would increase $1
dollar a month. I'm not going to quote the entire
letter here but it also said that if eligible, the national
PBS feed would be available to me at no extra charge.
Pricing for one distant net package (NBC,CBS, ABC
and FOX) will be $5.99 a month. Two is $8.99
a month and three (for me this means Atlanta, NY and
LA) is priced at $11.99 a month. Obviously, you save
a little by subscribing to all three.
Anyone else receive a letter like this?
I have SF locals, Distant East & West. I guess the CSE made a mistake. I've had them for 6 months.

· Banned
11,498 Posts
Darn! Another buck goes to E*! I love the supers and I guess an extra dollor is better then no more supers at all.

· Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
I got my letter as well. Only problem is that the price quoted for "any two packages" of $8.99 is what I pay now for my locals and supers. So I dont think we are getting an increase.

· Arcane Movie Trivia King
1,806 Posts
but...but...but...i thought that the merger was going to keep the cost of programming down???(even a dollar)-you don't think ...naw...not another E* show job(and before anyone starts shooting, a price increase of a dollar is just that-a price INCREASE-and they don't go away-)

· AllStar
62 Posts
Originally posted by jrjcd
but...but...but...i thought that the merger was going to keep the cost of programming down???(even a dollar)-you don't think ...naw...not another E* show job(and before anyone starts shooting, a price increase of a dollar is just that-a price INCREASE-and they don't go away-)
The merger hasn't happend yet. Who knows it might not.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.