DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if E* is holding off on transferring locals from 110/119 to the spotbeams is on hold? They were starting to slowly transition locals when a outage occurred with the Austin stations. That's when the transfer stopped. Here's what I'm reading as of this morning:

1 - Normal signal (still on CONUS)
3 - No signal (not active for NorCal)
5 - No signal (slated for NorCal)
7 - 125 and used for San Francisco "main" stations
9 - No signal (not active for NorCal)

I'm wondering if E* is just holding off until after May 22nd (end of sweeps) until transferring more stations over.

·
AllStar/Supporter
88 Posts
The impression I got during the Tech Chat was that they were going to wait for E*8 before moving any more because it will be easier to shuffle channels around. I could have misinterpreted what was said though.

·
DBSTalk E* Spot Beam Guru
443 Posts
They are probably taking a short break to finish up Grand Rapids and add Honolulu and Anchorage. The only city that really needs moved at this point is Kansas City. They could finish transfering Miami too.

It just seems like E* is doing one thing a week. This week Grand Rapids, next week maybe Honolulu & Anchorage, week after probably a couple more moves. E* could surprise us like a couple weeks ago and move a few cities at one time.

·
AllStar/Supporter
88 Posts
Randall - Definitely not too far! Just curious, what's your thoughts on the merger? I'm curious which way subs in our area are leaning. :hi:

Bryan - Has there been any spotbeam changes lately? I noticed transponder 1 still appears to be CONUS.

Just a piece of info, we appear to be barely inside the Carolinas (Spotbeam 14) spot here in upper East Tennessee because I receive signal from transponders 5 & 7 that fluctuates between 39 and 59 (I assume the fluctuation is from the figure 8 orbit pattern?).

G

·
Well the merger has its advantages and disadvantages. If dish and directv were to merge we'd finally have WJHL, WCYB, WEMT, and WKPT and our WB and UPN stations on satellite. The disadvantage is that there would be no competition and prices on programming would rise. As far as the spotbeams i get between a 59 and sometimes up to 90 percent on the signal reading. I subscribe to the Greenville locals and the picture usually stays pretty good. I also have Nashville and when they go on the spot beam I just wonder if the signal will drop in and out. By the way do you know if Kansas City, Pittsburgh, and Boston are going spotbeam. I also have them and I hope they go national. It would make sense if at least Boston stayed national since its the 3rd largest market I believe. Somebody said over on the forums that Pittsburgh was gonna stay conus. I hope that is true. Oh, I am able to get all these locals because I "moved" if you were wondering. By the way J Rath, are you able to qualify for any locals in Kingsport, down here in Telford before I "moved" I got waivers for FOX and ABC but WJHL or WCYB wouldnt grant any waivers.

·
AllStar/Supporter
88 Posts
I don't know about Pittsburgh and Boston, but from what Bryan posted earlier it sounds like Kansas City is going to be on a spot. Pittsburgh (if it doesn't stay CONUS) will probably be on one of E*8's spots (looks like either spot 28 or 16). We'll see if Bryan knows.

As far as waivers, I had gotten one for CBS when I lived in SW Virginia and automatically qualified for ABC and FOX. WCYB never would grant a waiver (I believe I tried twice). I haven't tried to waiver ABC, NBC or FOX since moving to Kingsport so now I only get CBS (I guess they let me have it since I already had a waiver on file for it)

G

·
The way it seems WCYB is being greedy because I dont thnk they will grant waivers whether you can pick them up OTA or not. Im suprised that WJHL granted you a waiver, I called them and begged them to grant me a waiver and they never would and I told them, "well even if I could get your reception OTA I wouldnt watch your station anyway" and hung up on them. Not long after that, I "moved" and picked up what I am getting now. You could "move" too if you want to get the rest of the stations, ABC, NBC, and FOX.

·
DBSTalk E* Spot Beam Guru
443 Posts
J Rath, Pittsburgh going on spot#16 is very doubtful. Although there will be some bleedover into the area putting it on #16 will probably cause many reception problems. The -5db contour is predicted around Johnstown. Pittsburgh itself nearly borders West Virginia.

If I had to guess I would say that Cleveland and Pittsburgh nets (including PBS) will stay CONUS with WB & UPN and Cincy going to the spot.

·
Icon
731 Posts
A follow-up on Pittsburgh locals - a map I was pointed to (from Feb. 2001) that showed one plan of a "Spot #28" covering the Pittsburgh DMA. Any new info since April on if this may happen?

BTW, the site that has the E*8 spot map on www.stratuswave.net is down - can somebody supply a different link to this info?

Also, is Dish necessarily in a rush to get locals currently on E*5 to a spot beam? What will they use the extra channels for, as I have read says that they plan to broadcast all non-local content on E*7 and E*8?

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
JR...the site has been yanked by the ISP due to other concerns dealing with the DMA site. But as soon as Bryan gets it back up somewhere he will post the info and he has agreed to let me mirror the spot beam pages.

See ya
Tony

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.