Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
AllStar
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought people would find this interesting:

I bought a ViP622 receiver new from the internet. Mounted a 2nd dish aimed at 61.5. Hooked up receiver and found DishHD free demo channel to confirm it worked. Called *E to activate receiver and the CSR told me the computer required a Dish 1000 at 129 to activate and that she wouldn't be able to activate until I schedule an install. Of course, from DbsTalk, I know this is false.

After several minutes of debating and trying to tell me the computer knows if I have a Dish 1000 or not (even if I got a Dish 1000 from eBay and installed it myself), I told her to cancel my entire account if she couldn't activate the receiver before we hung up because of all the trouble I went to in getting it all setup and calling Dish multiple times to confirm I could do it with 61.5. Suddenly, she put me on hold and came back to tell me she "tricked" the computer and got me all activated.

Anyone else have a similar story?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
crackasmile said:
Thought people would find this interesting:

I bought a ViP622 receiver new from the internet. Mounted a 2nd dish aimed at 61.5. Hooked up receiver and found DishHD free demo channel to confirm it worked. Called *E to activate receiver and the CSR told me the computer required a Dish 1000 at 129 to activate and that she wouldn't be able to activate until I schedule an install. Of course, from DbsTalk, I know this is false.

After several minutes of debating and trying to tell me the computer knows if I have a Dish 1000 or not (even if I got a Dish 1000 from eBay and installed it myself), I told her to cancel my entire account if she couldn't activate the receiver before we hung up because of all the trouble I went to in getting it all setup and calling Dish multiple times to confirm I could do it with 61.5. Suddenly, she put me on hold and came back to tell me she "tricked" the computer and got me all activated.

sounds like you got a ID10T cert CSR and when you told her that you weren't going thru w/ it she went to supper and found out how stooopid she had been. So rather than loose the "sale" she stopped the bull and got U up and running. CSR's aren't really hired for their brains just to fill orders. :hurah:

·
Legend
212 Posts
Probably because you added HD programming (didn't you?), the CSR's computer wouldn't let her continue with the process until she told it that you had 129 (or a Dish 1000), because that's what you would normally use for Indiana.

You probably could have saved yourself some time and hassle by saying, "YES, I have 129!", even if you really had 61.5. It's just easier to tell the CSR's what they want to hear, than to try to 'educate' them. lol

Congrats on the succesful upgrade.

·
AllStar
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did upgrade to HD.

I did tell them I had 129, but she said their records never showed an install for Dish 1000. So, I told them I put up a 2nd dish at 129 and she still wanted me to get a Dish 1000, charging me $49 install fee. I refused it and she offered to waive the $49 fee, but I still didn't want to because of all the trouble I went to in putting up the 2nd dish at 61.5 and also because I've read 61.5 gets better signal.

Oh, well, it's all good now. Real happy with HD content so far even though it's about $0.80 extra per channel, which I believe is pretty expensive in contrast to how many SD channels you get for their base price without any HD programming.

chainblu said:
Probably because you added HD programming (didn't you?), the CSR's computer wouldn't let her continue with the process until she told it that you had 129 (or a Dish 1000), because that's what you would normally use for Indiana.

You probably could have saved yourself some time and hassle by saying, "YES, I have 129!", even if you really had 61.5. It's just easier to tell the CSR's what they want to hear, than to try to 'educate' them. lol

Congrats on the succesful upgrade.

·
Icon
538 Posts
crackasmile said:
Back when I added the old Voom package, the system wouldn't allow it because it said I didn't have 61.5.
I told the CSR I did since I needed it at the time for the Atlanta minor locals.
But since Dish was not the ones who installed it (self-installed), the computer didn't have it loaded.
I then got sent over to tech support (aka. an American) who then (after verifying I could turn to a 61.5 channel) said he would "trick" the system into believeing I had 61.5 and proceeded to activate the Voom package.

·
Cool Member/Supporter
82 Posts
I will go one better. I have gone from dish 6000 to 942 and then added a 622. I get the unit call dish, get receiver on the account but there is no HD? Check the 942, yep voom there. Call back to dish, give them my story, CSR checks account, They do not see a 61.5. I say but I have Voom? CSR asks me to tune in a Voom ch....CSR adds a 61.5 to the account all is well. Why would the 622 care and the 942 did not?

now to call dish over a billing issue? this months bill is 169. last months was 92?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,476 Posts
There are lots of configurations where the Dish system thinks it's giving the correct information but actually is somewhat confused.

For example, I had CBS-HD from New York (on 61.5), using a Dish 300 for 61.5 and a Dish 500 for 110 and 119. When I got my 622, they told me that they were going to install a Dish 1000 for 110, 119 and 129, but that I would still need the other dish pointed at 61.5. I argued that, because the Chicago locals had all moved to 129 (including the new HD locals), this was untrue, but the computer insisted it was. Why? Because it felt I still needed CBS-HD from New York, even though I was now going to have CBS-HD from Chicago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.