DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
AllStar
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earl do you know what the -s means on the HR20-700?
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you don't think there could be any hardware differences?
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
798 Posts
mckeemike505 said:
you don't think there could be any hardware differences?
---------
Nope....all box mnfs build their box to D* specs...only diff. is color and
some software diff. (the way the guide appears etc)
and color of unit. Some units may have a differant OTA tuner.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mcl said:
Sucktacular. Comcastic was trademarked.
ok I get it. Was looking for something serious. :)
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,873 Posts
moonman said:
--------
S=Silver
B=Black
I know this is making the rounds, and is logical, but do we know this for certain?
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
I'll have to ask... I have not seen anything other then a -S
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since I have one with and one without an -s I was hoping that there is some hardware explanation for it. But everyone is probably right and it is for silver.


Thanks,
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
I have not received a reply yet... it is the weekend after all.

I have seen two plausable theories...
But I don't know if either is correct.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
I have not received a reply yet... it is the weekend after all.

I have seen two plausable theories...
But I don't know if either is correct.
:grin: sorry forgot about that
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
I just got my HR20 installed today and the installer for what it is worth said there was going to be a black receiver released.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
147 Posts
moonman said:
---------
Nope....all box mnfs build their box to D* specs...only diff. is color and
some software diff. (the way the guide appears etc)
and color of unit. Some units may have a differant OTA tuner.
Then how do you explain the differences among the R-15 models if there are no hardware difference? There are three R15 models, two of which are basically the same size, and one which is smaller.

All the boxes coming from the same manufacturer should have the same internal components. (So if the current manufacturer releases a black color later, in theory the internals should be the same still.) If another manufacturer enters the picture, you can't gurantee the internal hardware is going to be exactly the same. Will they both have the same features? Yes, but they might use different hardware to get it done (harddrive from vendor A as opposed to vendor B).
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
40 Posts
There are lots of conflicting stories out there. I spoke with someone in D* Retention when I was ordering my HR20 and he doubted there would be a black one. He said that silver has been chosen as the new corporate color for all products in their foreseeable future.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
798 Posts
White_Horse said:
Then how do you explain the differences among the R-15 models if there are no hardware difference? There are three R15 models, two of which are basically the same size, and one which is smaller.

All the boxes coming from the same manufacturer should have the same internal components. (So if the current manufacturer releases a black color later, in theory the internals should be the same still.) If another manufacturer enters the picture, you can't gurantee the internal hardware is going to be exactly the same. Will they both have the same features? Yes, but they might use different hardware to get it done (harddrive from vendor A as opposed to vendor B).
----------------
Competition is always good and now it is pretty much gone. Directv has sort of eliminated this. Now and in the future, when Directv gives receivers away, they will be built cheaply. The upside of this is that they do not have to stock
100's of differant brands as replacments. The downside is that if one maker
makes a error in placement of parts (witness the recent overheat problem
of one makers box as opposed to other makers units which do not have this
problem due to placement of power supply) Size, color or H/D maker are
not specs for the box in general. In short, where the parts are arranged in
the box does not matter....what they put in them does. Unfortunately for
us, as we become aware of these differances among makers and perceived
problems with them, we cannot choose which brand we want with D*. They
ship whatever brand they have in stock.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
82 Posts
White_Horse said:
Then how do you explain the differences among the R-15 models if there are no hardware difference? There are three R15 models, two of which are basically the same size, and one which is smaller.

All the boxes coming from the same manufacturer should have the same internal components. (So if the current manufacturer releases a black color later, in theory the internals should be the same still.) If another manufacturer enters the picture, you can't gurantee the internal hardware is going to be exactly the same. Will they both have the same features? Yes, but they might use different hardware to get it done (harddrive from vendor A as opposed to vendor B).
In my experience I can think of at least 2 reasons.

1. During production of a unit, manufacturing will continue to tweak the design in order to reduce cost.

2. Production may need to modify a design if the early units are having problems in the field.

Manufacturing is not set-in-stone once it has begun. There is a prove-out process for any changes, but once proved out these changes can move into production. It's entirely possible that the first unit produced at a manufacturer is different from the last unit.

Snewo
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
728 Posts
One thread is never enough to ask the same question, Runner, you should know that by now :D Look at how many OTA threads there are. It's like a bad case of deja vu. :ewww:
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,496 Posts
Threads merged, same subject from the same poster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,158 Posts
Bottom line....what difference does it make what the S stands for.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top