Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earl,

Now that 3 release candidates have been sent to various portions of the public but not released nationally, I begin to wonder what Directv's goal is for the next national release? Please understand, I am not complaining and apologize if I sound as such. I guess I'm just trying to set my expectations in line with Directv's strategy.

Clearly there have been changes in the release strategy over the life of the HR20. Indeed, nothing surprising about that at all. And I very much appreciate the opportunity for downloading release candidates so I can, when I have time available, help Directv make the next national release better. And so I can experiment with new features. In lieu of a more formal "gamma testing program", the windowed releases are a great interim technique.

But now I'm sensing a seachange in how the releases go from gamma to national. Before it seemed that if things didn't break any more badly than the previous release, a release candidate was sent national. Now we've seen 3 candidates that seemed to not only not break things, but add new features and be likely more stable for more people not get sent out nationally. So I guess the strategy or release criteria have changed.

Is it that all lockups, partials, unwatchables, etc. must be gone before national release? Is it that all the new features are better integrated? Are there more features that need to be in place?

Again, I am not complaining nor frustrated, but curious so as to set reasonable expectations.

Thanks for all your help,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Their goal for the next national release.... Basically:

To have as stable of a product for the general consumer... that does not decrease the reliability of the unit.

Are they going to wait for every last lockup, crash, freeze, ect to be out of the box... Gosh I hope not, as we won't see another national release for a while.

Yes, this last week... they have taken a chance to tap into the a "public" beta test of the system. And so far that chance has played out.

0xFA is a very stable release for the general consumers... problems... yes; but overall it is a very stable release.

They NEED to make sure the next one is JUST as stable, if not more so.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
tibber said:
But now I'm sensing a seachange in how the releases go from gamma to national. Before it seemed that if things didn't break any more badly than the previous release, a release candidate was sent national. Now we've seen 3 candidates that seemed to not only not break things, but add new features and be likely more stable for more people not get sent out nationally. So I guess the strategy or release criteria have changed.

Is it that all lockups, partials, unwatchables, etc. must be gone before national release? Is it that all the new features are better integrated? Are there more features that need to be in place?

Again, I am not complaining nor frustrated, but curious so as to set reasonable expectations.
I can't speak for Earl or D*, but I think that maybe what we're seeing now is a more realistic timeframe for updates. I think because D* was chasing some nasty little gremlins from jump that they were rolling out new updates as quickly as the programmers little fingers could bang them out. It seems they were given a once over, then released to the West Coast, and if nothing major blew up in their faces, roll it out nationally. I think that because the issues were so big and so prevalent that perhaps the updates were getting rolled out quicker than they should have been.

I think now the attitude might be that they have many of the major bugs restrained to the point where they can take a little more time thoroughly testing the release candidates before initiating a widespread release.

I could be completely off the mark, but that's kind of the feel I get. Because I haven't encountered any bugs to this point, I haven't thoroughly investigated any of them, so I've been mostly an interested observer.

On a lighter note. I know I've spent too much time here in the forums when the phrase "release candidate" creeps into my vocabulary. I'm a bit of a geek by hobby, but not by profession, certainly, so that's a phrase I'd never have encountered if not waiting with baited breath for the latest good news from Earl on software updates. :)

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both, Earl and Sharkie_fan. Confirms some of my thinking.

Thanks,
Tom

Oh, Sharkie_fan, you sling the lingo quite well for a hobby geek. :) Glad you're here with us.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
0xFA is a very stable release for the general consumers... problems... yes; but overall it is a very stable release.

Very stable? I guess if you are comparing it to some of the incredible crappy prior releases, but since 0xFA came out the software has not been able to run 24 days with out with out some kind of lockup issue. I have 2 or 3 lockups since the 11/22nd release that required the RBR. I would hardly call that very stable. Even just one lockup over the past 22 days it would not be considered stable, maybe just 1 lockup in 365 days could be called sort of stable. Stable to me is you don't lock up. And lets not forget that this "very stable release" still has the unwatchable and unplayable bugs and does not correctly support manual recordings. While it may be an improvement over some of the crap eggs the turd bird has laid it is hardly "very stable"

Think about this when it comes to stability, RBR has become an acronym that people use and recognize. Rebooting is so normal with the HR20 that we have created a TLA for it. The TLA was first used under 0xD1 but only under 0xFA did the use of RBR explode. 0xFA stable... I say no but at least it works most of the time.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
561 Posts
btmoore said:
Very stable? I guess if you are comparing it to some of the incredible crappy prior releases, but since 0xFA came out the software has not been able to run 24 days with out with out some kind of lockup issue.
This may be an isolated incident with your box (and possibly a few others). My box has not had any problems, even before 0xFA and hasn't required a reset. Both of my HR20's have been okay, as well as two others I know of. We may be an isolated group of users who don't have problems. The only resets we've had is when we forced the update to 108 and 10B

·
AllStar
77 Posts
I hope they don't screw up pinky. I live for pinky.

·
AllStar
57 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
...... Yes, this last week... they have taken a chance to tap into the a "public" beta test of the system. And so far that chance has played out.........They NEED to make sure the next one is JUST as stable, if not more so.
I honestly think the public has been used as Beta testers since the HR20-XXX firsat shipped. Not that I mind, but they should have at least acknowledged as much.

·
RBR Hitit tillit bricksit
266 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

Earl, Just a freindly disagreement here...
Mine locked up in 5 minutes after the installer left. Required a RBR. How is this concidered a very stable release?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
redfiver said:
This may be an isolated incident with your box (and possibly a few others). My box has not had any problems, even before 0xFA and hasn't required a reset. Both of my HR20's have been okay, as well as two others I know of. We may be an isolated group of users who don't have problems. The only resets we've had is when we forced the update to 108 and 10B
I agree. My unit has had VERY few lockups if any. Maybe 1 in 6 weeks.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
btmoore said:
Very stable? I guess if you are comparing it to some of the incredible crappy prior releases, but since 0xFA came out the software has not been able to run 24 days with out with out some kind of lockup issue.
As Earl said, there are still problems, but after FA was released the number of problem posts around here dropped quite a bit. I rarely see posts of problems on the other big forums anymore either, just here.

So they squished a good number of bugs. Certainly a few remain and certainly a number of people still have issues, but for the vast majority it is now a stable platform. And I can see them being a little weary of releasing another major update that could change that.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Brantel said:
.....Mine locked up in 5 minutes after the installer left. Required a RBR. How is this concidered a very stable release?
O.K. Fine. What about since? I've had two HR20's since Sept. Maybe I use mine differently, but I just haven't that many problems.

·
Legend
201 Posts
redfiver said:
I have to agree with redfiver on this one. I also had a few lockups with the oFa release but not to the point I wished I hadn't jump in so early. Since my 10B release unit seems ro be more stable with some issues with color shifting from all appearences fixed. Is it stable enough for National release? I would say YES. Do they still have more tweaking to do? Of course they do but so long as people realize this and just exercise a little more patience with the knowledge there are bound to be bumps in the road then National could come quicker. You have to remember this is basically no different than a computer and if you have a bunch of impatient key mashers out there you are going to have lockups same as you would with a computer. I can't say for sure but I suspect National release could actually be realized before the new year.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
Mrmiami said:
I have to agree with redfiver on this one. I also had a few lockups with the oFa release but not to the point I wished I hadn't jump in so early. Since my 10B release unit seems ro be more stable with some issues with color shifting from all appearences fixed. Is it stable enough for National release? I would say YES. Do they still have more tweaking to do? Of course they do but so long as people realize this and just exercise a little more patience with the knowledge there are bound to be bumps in the road then National could come quicker.
I would say that with the exception of one more pass on addressing some specific market DMA signal issues, 10B is ready as a national release as well.

All recordings and playbacks (now 21 tested in various configurations - scheduled, manual, OTA, etc.) worked perfectly. The updated GUI seems to be a bit faster (once the guide is fully loaded), and the nominal changes are improvements.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Yes, there are plenty of you that have had issues with 0xFA

BUT... the real question is... what happened to the entire forest, not what happened to some of the trees.

If the overall forest got healthier, and less individual trees where effected...
Then yes... the release is a lot more stable then it was.

The forum world is not the only point of information they get, they also evaluate their CSR call volume... and their own automated internal testing.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,606 Posts
Very few hickups here, I think that the last 2 beta versions that we got this week have this box right up where it needs to be.

Only issue Ive seen is when trying to view some photos everyonce in a while it will say unable to access, and reverts back to live tv.

And once my wife left with photos playing and came home a few hours later and it was stuck on a picture and couldnt control the HR20 from the box or remote had to reset, but as far as sat tv or ota, NO PROBLEMS. I love this box.

I wish Directv would release the last one nationally so if we check for a update that we want loose are OTA.
Im for one am not going to touch that 02468 screen until we are safe to do so.

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
I have an extensive IT background and jump on every Alpha, Beta, Release Canidate, etc that I can. Computers and their problems I fully understand.

Most people, and when I say most I am referring to those that do not read this forum, only want their HR-20 to do two things, allow them to watch D* and record programs when they can't watch. D* realizes this and I think they are making that their main focus. Releasing the software nationally when they feel that it will be stable and usable for the most people. That being said I really like the Santa visits that they have been offering to the adventurous ones out there. It allows those that wish to see the future the oppurtunity to do so. I can't wait to see the new changes once the update goes national, but am currently enjoying my stability and consistancy that I currently have.

Clayton

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
I have to agree that the level of chatter on 0xFA was a fraction of th earlier releases. 0xFA is stable to the point that more testing can work out the kinks that might be in any new development. It is unfortunate that the gap occurred at a time when a highly-desired feature was being implemented. However, the methodology is good and I welcome the change.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.