DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
AllStar
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the HR20, and got a letter a month or so ago saying Nov. 1 the HD DNS from NY will be shut off. I also got these letters in the past and nothing happened. Anyone else get this letter? WIll it be shut off tomorrow?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
I got the letters earlier in the year.
Then got a phone call and a letter saying it was a mistake.

Then the HR20 was released.... with LIL.
So... Guess we will find out tomorrow.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
rstokas said:
did you ever get a letter saying Nov. 1?
The first letter was August 1st.
I don't think I ever got one that said November 1st.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
35 Posts
I never got any letter, but with the HR20, my Fox national feed is gone, I noticed it on Sunday when I really didn't want to watch the Bears game past 5 minutes. I have yet to call and see if this was just an error, or if I lose it because of the LIL.

·
Banned
686 Posts
Since I have two other boxes that don't do MPEG4, I will be hopping mad if they try this on me. Especially since OTA doesn't even work on the HR20 yet.

To the OP: You really should call and let D* know how you feel about this.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
While you are at it...

Call your local Congress Person.... as the fact that we even have to go through this game of DNS and waivers, is because of the laws/authority given to the FCC to enact these.

You can bet that DirecTV is going to tred very carefully with any DNS issues, given what has happen to Dish Network.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
If they pull the East Coast HD DNS channels, then there will be strong consideration of dumping D* in my house, as those are the only reliable network HD channels for recording. The locals stink (sound/video dropouts, 8MM effect on CBS and NBC, etc.) right now. I guess I will call to complain, but if they don't relent, I will start seriously looking at E* and the 622, or, dare I say it, Comcrap. It keeps getting worse and worse on the D* HD front.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
tstarn said:
The locals stink (sound/video dropouts, 8MM effect on CBS and NBC, etc.) right now.
I agree. They shouldn't shut them off until all HD LIL markets have received the upgrades that eliminate those bugs.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
DNS - Distant Network Service
LIL - Local In Locals

DNS relates to getting a set of "local" channels, from a distant network. Such as Chicago getting New Yorks

LIL is Chicago get Chicago locals

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
You can bet that DirecTV is going to tred very carefully with any DNS issues, given what has happen to Dish Network.
Not related. D* provided the HD DNS to O&O's on a contract basis. ie the networks gave D* waivers to provide NY/LA HD feeds into O&O markets.

Part of that agreement was that when HD LIL was available the NY/LA feeds would be removed. It is that reason they are going away.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Herdfan said:
Not related. D* provided the HD DNS to O&O's on a contract basis. ie the networks gave D* waivers to provide NY/LA HD feeds into O&O markets.

Part of that agreement was that when HD LIL was available the NY/LA feeds would be removed. It is that reason they are going away.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

·
Legend
183 Posts
Just so I understand this correctly, they may be turning 80, 82, 86 & 88 off tomorrow? I'm assuming that the MPEG-4 locals will stay intact. Looks like I might need to get on the ball with putting up my AT-9 dish.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,320 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
While you are at it...

Call your local Congress Person.... as the fact that we even have to go through this game of DNS and waivers, is because of the laws/authority given to the FCC to enact these.

I tired calling my congressman many years ago when originally DTV provide all networks east and west coast feeds and to no avail. I got some nice thank you we will look into it thing ,appealed to local CBS, and ABC at the time and also no luck so for years didnt bother watching CBS and ABC programming. Started watching CBS and ABC again when locals were on DTV and have enjoyed the OTA HD signal for each in the past. Now my local ABC and NBC only provide HD ( Fox and CBS do not ).

My NBC east west survived and now my ABC and NBC HD exist hopefully they dont go away tomorrow since alot of my recording is off them versus the HD locals. Wish I could get CBS and FOX HD DNS feeds since I live in ACC country and during spring only see ACC basketball versus some of the golf on CBS. One would think they could free up the DNS if its showing different programming than your local.

·
Banned
614 Posts
rstokas said:
I have the HR20, and got a letter a month or so ago saying Nov. 1 the HD DNS from NY will be shut off. I also got these letters in the past and nothing happened. Anyone else get this letter? WIll it be shut off tomorrow?
Could you please scan a copy of the letter with your scanner and post it. If you can post it don't forget to hide id information.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Rob55 said:
Just so I understand this correctly, they may be turning 80, 82, 86 & 88 off tomorrow? I'm assuming that the MPEG-4 locals will stay intact. Looks like I might need to get on the ball with putting up my AT-9 dish.
Yes, those are the channels in question.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Rob55 said:
Just so I understand this correctly, they may be turning 80, 82, 86 & 88 off tomorrow?
If you are in northern NJ and are in the NYC DMA, then you shouldn't lose anything.

They aren't turning them off, just restricting who can get them.

OTOH, if I am wrong, then there are 8 MPEG-2 slots open for more national HD channels.:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.