DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eastern Arc

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  bigglebowski 
#1 ·
A friend had Dish installed today and had he a spot picked out for the eastern arc. The installer told him that Dish was going to decommission the eastern arc and was moving customers off of it, and that he could only install a dish for the western arc..
Anything to this.

#5 ·
garys said:
All I've heard on EA, is a dish for just 61.5 and 72 for those who do not need 77.
Can someone at Dish confirm this, heard it a couple times but reps at Dish I have asked cant confirm.

Would that mean that we are unlikely to see "national" type programming on 77. In other words will 77 just be for various local markets and the Spanish programming.

Would a 61/72 dish just be different LNB but same reflector?

#7 ·
bigglebowski said:
Can someone at Dish confirm this, heard it a couple times but reps at Dish I have asked cant confirm.

Would that mean that we are unlikely to see "national" type programming on 77. In other words will 77 just be for various local markets and the Spanish programming.

Personally, I would NOT accept a partial eastern arc install like that even if Dish would do it.

Why not?

Well... Dish history is littered with partial installs and mixed arc (all the people who got 110/119/61.5 because 129 was hard to see) and then a year or two later Dish moves some channels around and you are screwed.

Even if technically nothing you watch is on 77... I can't think of a good reason not to take a full eastern arc install so that you will be set for whenever you know eventually they will need to put things on 77.

#8 ·
There is a very good reason. I get higher higher readings on the other two sats and is now comparable to my WA install to very little rain fade.
However, your point is well taken, nothing says at some time 77 won't be needed but it sure seems they have other plans for that satellite....

#10 ·
Stewart Vernon said:
Personally, I would NOT accept a partial eastern arc install like that even if Dish would do it.
This one is a little different.

The past "error" of putting people on 119/110/61.5 was before DISH knew they would be using 72.7 and 77. The current decision to use 61.5/72.7 is being made knowing that 77 exists.

There are physical limitations on receiving the signal from 77. DISH must protect Canadian reception at 82. Moving national channels to 77 would be problematic in the northern US where the signal is intentionally weaker to protect Bell's Canadian coverage. Most of New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine cannot receive a reliable signal from 77.

That doesn't mean that the new satellite at 77 cannot be replaced by one with a different footprint - and something can't be negotiated with Bell TV to allow the increase in coverage. But as it stands, 77 cannot carry "National" channels (although the DISH Latino channels are on 77).

Yes, DISH has changed their mind on orbital locations in the past ... but this decision might be easier to trust. I would not replace an existing working Eastern Arc dish with a new 61.5/72.7 dish - but if I were having problems getting 61.5 or 72.7 I'd go with a dish that would improve those signals, even if it meant "losing" 77. The only markets that need 77 are those with their locals on 77 (and DISH Latino customers).

#11 ·
I'm just nervous about these sorts of configs.

I remember when I first got Dish it was 110/119 only... then I added 61.5 when I first got HD because that's where all the HD was.

Then I upgraded receivers to an HD DVR and was "assured" that Dish was going to put my DMA HD LiLs on 129 so they moved my 61.5 dish to 129... Of course Dish actually put my DMA on 118.7!! So that required them to come out and replace everything on the roof anyway!

I moved again recently and am now on eastern arc... I also have read the stories about people with 110/119/61.5 who had their locals moved or similarly people with eastern arc who now need a 500+ dish because the internationals are moving off 61.5.

It can be like pulling teeth to get Dish to pay for a satellite upgrade when it is because they decided to repurpose their satellites... so I figure better safe than sorry now and stick with the full arcs.

That said... IF you are putting up your own equipment, it's a horse of a different color since you are paying for the hardware and doing the work yourself... and then it makes sense to do just the needed stuff. IF Dish was footing the bill, I'd want them to do the full arc proper so they can't later say "you wanted something special" which you just know they would say.

#12 ·
James Long said:
This one is a little different.

The past "error" of putting people on 119/110/61.5 was before DISH knew they would be using 72.7 and 77. The current decision to use 61.5/72.7 is being made knowing that 77 exists.

There are physical limitations on receiving the signal from 77. DISH must protect Canadian reception at 82. Moving national channels to 77 would be problematic in the northern US where the signal is intentionally weaker to protect Bell's Canadian coverage. Most of New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine cannot receive a reliable signal from 77.

That doesn't mean that the new satellite at 77 cannot be replaced by one with a different footprint - and something can't be negotiated with Bell TV to allow the increase in coverage. But as it stands, 77 cannot carry "National" channels (although the DISH Latino channels are on 77).

Yes, DISH has changed their mind on orbital locations in the past ... but this decision might be easier to trust. I would not replace an existing working Eastern Arc dish with a new 61.5/72.7 dish - but if I were having problems getting 61.5 or 72.7 I'd go with a dish that would improve those signals, even if it meant "losing" 77. The only markets that need 77 are those with their locals on 77 (and DISH Latino customers).
I was asking because on commercial properties we put up 30" dishes for each orbital slot. When recently a commercial piece of equipment was having an issue when pumping 119/110/61.5 into it as a split arc. We were advised that it must give it WA or EA no mix. Since 311's were being used for analog channels 110/119 needed to stay. So we added 72.7 and 77 dishes. So a dozen of these properties now have a 77 dish just in case something moves to 77. Im just wondering as we have many more properties to do in the future and would be good to know.

By the way assuming you are the same James Long that has the .name website with all the sat/channel info thank you for that site. That might be the single best technical website on a specific subject I have ever seen. Simple to use with maximum info with no fluff its a real elegant site.

Thank you

#13 ·
bigglebowski said:
I was asking because on commercial properties we put up 30" dishes for each orbital slot. When recently a commercial piece of equipment was having an issue when pumping 119/110/61.5 into it as a split arc. We were advised that it must give it WA or EA no mix. Since 311's were being used for analog channels 110/119 needed to stay. So we added 72.7 and 77 dishes. So a dozen of these properties now have a 77 dish just in case something moves to 77. Im just wondering as we have many more properties to do in the future and would be good to know.
You could probably do without 77 unless the HD locals were there but it certainly doesn't hurt having it in place. And with separate dishes the spare could be turned to the next satellite location DISH starts using, if needed.

By the way assuming you are the same James Long that has the .name website with all the sat/channel info thank you for that site. That might be the single best technical website on a specific subject I have ever seen. Simple to use with maximum info with no fluff its a real elegant site.
Yep ... that's mine and you're welcome. I set it up to keep my notes in order and to be able to share what I know. The http://uplink.jameslong.name/ side is mostly automated ... the regular http://jameslong.name/ side is manual. I still have some updates that need to be done on the manual side. But it is all there to share.

#14 ·
bigglebowski said:

Thank you
Out there in Charlotte - you probably have gotten by with just adding a 129 dish (assuming all the properties can see that) instead of needing the Eastern Arc Dishes. But it should work just as well to use the Eastern Arc as well.

#15 ·
bigglebowski said:
garys said:
Probably a modified Dish500 or Dish500+.
Actually it is a new EA Twin LNB for the 1000.2 dish. This allows full use of all the specialized mounts that Dish allows. (Gable, Soffit, Railing, etc.)

I have yet to actually see one of the LNBs yet though, but I'm in a market where we rarely have to use EA.

#16 ·
"scooper" said:
Out there in Charlotte - you probably have gotten by with just adding a 129 dish (assuming all the properties can see that) instead of needing the Eastern Arc Dishes. But it should work just as well to use the Eastern Arc as well.
Two properties that had HD locals off antenna went that route. The other locations we went EA because locals for all markets we do are on 61.5. So these places have a 77 dish just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.