DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Legend
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 500gb WD Essentials EHD that is currently formatted to NTFS. It came as FAT32 but I reformatted it to NTFS because I was thinking of using it as a PC backup. Can someone tell me what my 622 will format this drive to if I decide to use it as a program archive and about how long it takes for the 622 to reformat if it needs to go back to FAT32? The EHD is currently empty.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,130 Posts
shortspark said:
I have a 500gb WD Essentials EHD that is currently formatted to NTFS. It came as FAT32 but I reformatted it to NTFS because I was thinking of using it as a PC backup. Can someone tell me what my 622 will format this drive to if I decide to use it as a program archive and about how long it takes for the 622 to reformat if it needs to go back to FAT32? The EHD is currently empty.
It will reformat it. I don't think anyone officially has said what the format is but it is not FAT32 or NTFS.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
15,556 Posts
It is formatted using Linux ext3. It normally takes a few minutes for the drive to be formatted and the encryption info to be put in place. If you're seeking more information you can read the posts on this Yahoo Group.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the responses. The reason I asked was that perhaps I could reformat the thing faster on my PC if I knew what format was used by DISH. On second thought, maybe not since it took nearly three hours to reformat it the first time from Fat32 to NTFS.
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
205 Posts
shortspark said:
Thanks to all for the responses. The reason I asked was that perhaps I could reformat the thing faster on my PC if I knew what format was used by DISH. On second thought, maybe not since it took nearly three hours to reformat it the first time from Fat32 to NTFS.
Fortunatly/unfortunatly it won't matter if you format it or not. As soon as you hook it up to DISH it will format it no matter what.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
15,556 Posts
shortspark said:
On second thought, maybe not since it took nearly three hours to reformat it the first time from Fat32 to NTFS.
Yeah, I had to do that to four drives last Christmas. What a drag.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,130 Posts
phrelin said:
Yeah, I had to do that to four drives last Christmas. What a drag.
Reformatting shouldn't really be slow. Conversion (saving the data) is slow. The more data the slower it is.

As stated the reformat to DISH to whatever format it is (linux ext3 apparently) is fairly fast and always done the first time a drive is attached to one of your receivers. Assuming household key you can then switch it between your various receivers.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
15,556 Posts
tnsprin said:
Reformatting shouldn't really be slow. Conversion (saving the data) is slow. The more data the slower it is.

As stated the reformat to DISH to whatever format it is (linux ext3 apparently) is fairly fast and always done the first time a drive is attached to one of your receivers. Assuming household key you can then switch it between your various receivers.
The Dish reformat isn't slow. But I reformatted four empty USB drives from FAT32 to NTFS to put family pictures and movies on to give to family members at Christmas. Man was that reformatting a slow process.:eek2:
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top