DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Legend
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JohnH, thanks a lot. I have been trying to find this satellite in Mexico City using a 6 foot dish (1.8 mts) without any luck so far.

I was hopping that with the new EchoVIII working together with Echo V at double-power, that maybe something would show up, but, so far, the SSLoral satellites have been way too weak in Mexico, much unlike the Lockeheed Martin Sats, that do have an acceptable signal strength in this area. So I can almost be certain that even at double-power (when EchoVIII, an SSLoral Sat, is finally up), we still won't be able to receive anything from 110.

Tomorrow, when I try again to find Echo V using transp.12 or 14, if I cannot find this satellite, I'll be certain that whatever Dish has in that spot will remain unreachable for us.

Thanks again,

Wrate

G

·
I don't think E* has any full conus birds with a foot print going as low a Mexico City (even with BUDS). I believe E* had asked the FCC for permision to point one of the new spot beams toward Mexico but not for programming.

·
Legend
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dish doesn't have a conus footprint for Mexico. That is why we use 6 foot dishes instead of 18 inches :) Strange thing is that only Loral Space Sats don't reach us with enough power to be received with a 6 footer. Every satellite (DTV or Dish) can be received in Mexico City with a 6 footer, except Loral Space Sats:
Echo VI and Echo V. Out of Echo VI we could get what I suspect were the few transponders that were double-powered.
We could not get 119W transp. 2,3,6,10,11,14 and 18 when they were coming off Echo 6.

But, I cannot be certain the few transponders we did receive out of Echo VI were the ones at double power, because I was never able to find out which transponders were at double-power, I just knew some were. So I am guessing.

In any case, if the few transponders off of Echo VI that we did get, were the ones at double power, then there is still hope for us. :)

Wrate

·
Hall Of Fame
7,802 Posts
Rather than a maunfacturer thing, I suspect it is a result of better pattern control capabillity associated with additional years of research. Remember the satellites you can receive are also older, so far.

·
Legend
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John,

Where are you located? I though people in Northern Canada were the only ones affected by the new Echo VII footprint.

Also, is there a way to be absolutely certain that this two transponders, 12 and 14, at 110W are in fact at double-power?

I had heard that the only way in which Echo V could go into double power was if another satellite (Echo VI was supposed to do this) took over half of the transponders there. This is why I ask. I have also read in several posts that the difference in power between 110 and 119 that people throughout the U.S. have been experiencing (mostly reflected in rain fade problems) was due to the fact that Echo V was not transmitting in double power, while EVI at 119 was.

I tried for the fifth time to find Echo V in Mexico City now using this two transponders (12 or 14). Still nothing.

Wrate

·
Hall Of Fame
7,802 Posts
EchoStars V and VI are capable of delivering 32 full power, 16 double power or practically any combination in between which utilizes the same number of tubes. Since they are using only 29 Tps at 110, it would seem they could double power 3 Tps. However, receiver readings indicate only 2 are in this condition.

I am now receiving on average about 3-5 points (upper 125 scale) less from EchoStar 7 than I did from EchoStar 6 or EchoStar 4. We still get more on Tp 1. My location is in the posts and is close to Philadelphia.

·
Legend
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
John,

It is definitely a matter of footprints. While Space Loral sats can be viewed with an 18 inch dish almost anywhere in Canada, the new Echostar VII cannot. I have read posts from people in the northern territories that cannot get Echo VII even with a 4 foot dish.

So, while Space Loral sats footprints do include most of Canada, Lockheed Martin's new Echo VIII doesn't but, in turn, seems skewed to the south

I can only hope that EchoVIII will have a stronger signal in Mexico than it predecesors. :)

Again, thanks for your comments.

Wrate

·
Icon
643 Posts
I am now receiving on average about 3-5 points (upper 125 scale) less from EchoStar 7 than I did from EchoStar 6 or EchoStar 4.
Out here in Northern California, we are getting significantly greater signal strength from EchoStar 7 than from any previous 119 satellite

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.