DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bumping this thread up. While the SpaceFlightNow link is still stuck at June 22nd, we have a new launch date of late August.

·
AllStar
82 Posts
Will this satellite help offload some of the programming on the other satellites and help with the compression which leads to poor picture quality?

·
Hall Of Fame/Supporter
2,818 Posts
It should help with the compression quite a bit. There are about 16 transponders on 110 that should move to spot beams. There will be 5 transponders on 110 used for spots, so there should be a net gain of 11 transponders.

Right now most of the ATA150 is 10-12 stations per transponder, they can easily go back to 7-8 per transponder. This would give about 4 Mbit per station. About 4mbit/sec is what is needed for what most people consider excellent quality.

·
God Bless America!
2,538 Posts
Are they going to do in-orbit testing @ a seperate slot (possibly 129?) or are they just taking it straight up to 110 and hoping for the best to avoid further delays?

·
God Bless America!
2,538 Posts
I REALLY doubt that advanced tech had a clue. Why? Two reasons:

1.) 129 is NOT setup for DBS service, so a different type of LNBF (and likely a larger dish) is needed
2.) Echostar doesn't have any space at 129 (though they were granted permission, I believe, to use it for in-orbit of E*8) - they are leasing everything they got there.

·
God Bless America!
2,538 Posts
A new DISH, that is the advantage 129 does have - 110, 119, and 129 can all be picked up with a single trifocal dish.

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Gah! trifocal dishes now!

And I thought I was cool with my dish 500/extra 61.5

But you could also add a dish to go to 129, right?

·
God Bless America!
2,538 Posts
Correct, you could. But that's not what DISH is doing. BTW, DirecTV has had trifocal dishes for a long time now, but most people only use them with two LNBFs (the dish is for 101/110/119 - but there's no reason for 99% of DirecTV subs to see 110)

·
God Bless America!
2,538 Posts
No, they aren't giving an extra DISH for 129. They ARE using a trifocal dish originally intended for Starband

DISHPro is a stacked LNBF system that eliminates the whole 13/18 Volts Odd/Even transponder thing -all transponders are sent down all the cables all the time. The only thing that has to be switched is satellites. It makes multiswitches much simpliler devices and overall eliminates much of the hassles from a satellite installation.

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From another post.... (with due acknowledgement)

EVIII now scheduled for launch 1:30am ET Tuesday 8/20.

That's Monday night 8/19 for a lot of us.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.