DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. & RESTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 27, 2006--EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) and its DISH Network(TM) satellite TV service today announced that its subsidiary, EchoStar Fixed Satellite Services Corporation (EFSSC), has entered into a contract with Sprint Nextel (NYSE: S) to provide domestic Ku-band Fixed Satellite Services (FSS) capacity. The long-term contract will provide full-time, part-time, and on-demand satellite capacity to support the Sprint Nextel Emergency Response Team (ERT) and Engineering Sales Support (ESS) programs.

Unique to Sprint Nextel, the ERT works side by side with public safety agencies and other customers to coordinate communications during emergencies and other large-scale events. The Sprint Nextel ERT has provided communications support for over 700 federal, state and local public safety and military agencies in over 300 deployments including 23 presidentially declared disasters and emergencies.

"We are extremely pleased to expand our relationship with Sprint Nextel," said Michael Kelly, executive vice president of Commercial and Business Services for EchoStar. "We tailored this solution to fit a very unique set of requirements and appreciate the confidence Sprint Nextel has shown in EchoStar by selecting us to provide these services."

EFSSC will provide transponder restorable and satellite restorable FSS bandwidth from EchoStar 9 at 121 degrees west longitude and AMC 2 at 85 degrees west longitude. In addition to the satellite capacity, EFSSC will also provide engineering resources to support these programs.

"Sprint Nextel leads the nation in creating, deploying and operating a dedicated Emergency Response Team that offers essential, interoperable emergency mobile communications services to businesses and government agencies," said Matt Foosaner, director of the Sprint Nextel ERT. "The recent contract with EchoStar further strengthens Sprint ERT's capability to provide critical communications and connectivity virtually anywhere and at anytime."

The full-time and part-time services provide Sprint Nextel with dedicated satellite capacity allowing the company to purchase satellite capacity as needed, and were designed to support future requirements.

Source

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Okay.. so which transponders at 121º are out of commission for Dish channels. :)

I also never realized that Dish controlled bandwidth at 85º.

See ya
Tony

·
Icon
928 Posts
Nope! you keep dropping my #(@$%*@ call!

·
Legend
125 Posts
you have got to be plucking kidding me! just goes to show you where dish has its priorities at, at one turn they are in trouble with the courts for distant networks (claiming they cant provide locals to the people with distants, and then they make deals like this with their "extra" space

·
Premium Member
21,657 Posts
They had been moving stuff off 121 for a while, and phasing out SuperDish anyway... so I see no surprise that they would try and make some money back by selling the space/usage to someone else.

This is a good thing... as it means instead of a boat anchor, they are getting revenue from the satellite... and can use that in the future for other things like launching another one!

Oh, and this also points out how Dish does have extra bandwidth... for the folks who worry that DirecTV will be hard to compete with next year. While DirecTV has had to take channels down to show their Sunday Ticket lineup on Sundays... Dish has so much free bandwidth they can sell to others and make a profit!

422 Posts
Richard King said:
Can you hear me now?
Actually, that's Verizon's (more specifically Verizon Wireless) slogan. The Verizon phone company, which is a separate entity from Verizon Wireless, has a "partnership" with DirecTV.

Anyway, so I guess all those people that haven't migrated from 121 yet will lose their channels in the future, but I hope DISH is giving them at least a year to do this. The 121 to wing dish and 118.7 conversions for the international customers hasn't taken a year yet. I bet some that have programming at 121 still have time left on their DHA commitment.

·
Super Moderator
53,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They didn't say that 121 would be entirely leased to Sprint/Nextel. Plenty of room on the satellite for many different types of signals. IIRC they even have had an analog transponder there in the past.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,802 Posts
E* has had an analog "shingle" on E*9 tp 23 and AMC2 Tp 24 for some time now. Of interest may be there was no mention of AMC 15 in the press release. E* has had an analog and digital "shingle" there for a while. All 3 of these locations were used quite heavily for election newsfeeds on election night. One scan of AMC2 on that night revealed about 75 feeds.

AMC 2 continues to be used for sportsfeeds, mostly The Mountain and CSTV, but also some FSN and other stuff.

EchoStar 9 seems to have a digital sideline feed for the MNF on ESPN. Also, an unknown feed on Tp 32.

AMC 15 seems to be somewhat a ghosttown since the election.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,901 Posts
Posted Nov 28th 2006 12:01PM by Maura McCormack

The news from Theflyonthewall.com (subscription only) sees the Sprint (NYSE: S) and Echostar (NASDAQ: DISH) deal as leading to more business deals in 2007.

EchoStar announced this morning that it has entered into a contract with Sprint for EchoStar to provide domestic Ku-band Fixed Satellite Services capacity to Sprint Nextel. The long-term contract will provide satellite capacity to support the Sprint Nextel Emergency Response Team and Engineering Sales Support programs.

Theflyonthewall says look for more deals between satellite and terrestrial wireless companies. The combination of the supply-and-demand of satellite transponders and new technology that will allow satellite and ground-based wireless systems to work together could create more business relationships...

---
( The entire article is at the following source: http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2006/11/28/the-flys-eyes-look-at-wireless-spectrum-deal-action/ )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.