Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
6,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted Dec 1st 2006 8:52PM by Brad Linder

CrunchGear is reporting that EchoStar is set to launch some sort of device that will let users archive content recorded on their Dish Netowrk PVRs. Allegedly, you'll be able to have a "virtually unlimited" number of stored programs.

It's not clear if this is some sort of online network storage product or a system for copying recordings onto your PC hard drive.

Any way you look at it, EchoStar could use some good news. This weekend, as many as 900,000 EchoStar subscribers will lose access to ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox signals, with EchoStar under a court order to cease offering distant signal channels. EchStar has signed a deal with National Programming Service, which could allow some customers to recieve network channels from outside of their broadcast area.

-----
Source: http://www.pvrwire.com/2006/12/01/echostar-could-be-working-on-a-pvr-archiving-device/

·
Hall Of Fame
6,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
December 1 Seth Porges

So it seems our good friends at EchoStar are all set to p*ss off some networks. To that, we say "Kudos!" They're set to announce a DVR archiver that will let users of certain Dish Network DVR models create a "virtually unlimited" library of saved shows. No clue if the shows will be on a local hard drive or some external server. Look for this at CES, but who knows when it'll actually hit or what it will cost.

---
Source: http://crunchgear.com/2006/12/01/dish-network-to-unveil-dvr-video-archiver-piss-of-networks/

·
Super Moderator
53,990 Posts
What has been demonstrated so far is external storage for that receiver - not storage on a PC or other device that could transfer the videos to another format.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,868 Posts
James Long said:
What has been demonstrated so far is external storage for that receiver - not storage on a PC or other device that could transfer the videos to another format.
Don't forget PocketDish!

·
Super Moderator
53,990 Posts
harsh said:
Don't forget PocketDish!
I didn't --- "not storage on a PC or other device that could transfer the videos to another format." Transferring videos to PocketDish is one way for viewing only. I suppose technically it is another format, but it isn't a format you can use besides on that PocketDish.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,868 Posts
James Long said:
I didn't --- "not storage on a PC or other device that could transfer the videos to another format." Transferring videos to PocketDish is one way for viewing only. I suppose technically it is another format, but it isn't a format you can use besides on that PocketDish.
I think you're confusing archiving with backup storage. Maybe every PocketDish should come with Groundhog Day preinstalled.

·
Legend
163 Posts
I dont care how we can archive, PC or even External USB.. would be nice to be able to save something offline to watch later .. even if it is on the same box.

It's easy to aquire a few 500 Gig SATA drives and a USB adapter!

e..b

·
Super Moderator
53,990 Posts
harsh said:
I think you're confusing archiving with backup storage. Maybe every PocketDish should come with Groundhog Day preinstalled.
I'm not confusing anything. E* is working on external archiving. They have demostrated external archiving. They are NOT working toward storage on a PC.

You brought up PocketDish ... perhaps you are the one who is confused between what is a "PVR archiving device" and what is absolutely not an archive. If "external storage" is not an archive what is it?

·
Mentor
38 Posts
eatonjb said:
I dont care how we can archive, PC or even External USB.. would be nice to be able to save something offline to watch later .. even if it is on the same box.

It's easy to aquire a few 500 Gig SATA drives and a USB adapter!

e..b
That's how I do it. The HDD in my 942 is now external for ease of drive swapping. An added bonus is the drive runs cooler and internal temps in the box are cooler. It's a win/win situation.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,868 Posts
James Long said:
You brought up PocketDish ... perhaps you are the one who is confused between what is a "PVR archiving device" and what is absolutely not an archive. If "external storage" is not an archive what is it?
Backup is something that you have to restore to the original device to use. An archive is a place where you can go to view material that you have saved for posterity.

Think of it as the difference between a data warehouse and a museum.

I'm not advocating that archiving or backup should be available on personal computers. That would stir up too much tension with the programming producers.

·
Super Moderator
53,990 Posts
I have not used the word "backup" in this thread. I have used the term 'external storage'. You are the one applying the word 'backup'.

External storage and archiving sound like the same thing. The version that E* has demonstrated plays from the external drive. Sounds like what I'm talking about is the kind of archiving you are talking about. The only question is where you are getting the word backup from.

(BTW: Features demonstrated are subject to change before release.)

·
Legend
163 Posts
wrzwaldo said:
That's how I do it. The HDD in my 942 is now external for ease of drive swapping. An added bonus is the drive runs cooler and internal temps in the box are cooler. It's a win/win situation.
but you have to reboot your system every time, so the timers wont work.. for example if I tell it to get all the startreks, then swap drives, the new drive will not know to get the star treks

eaton

·
Super Moderator
53,990 Posts
Sounds like the same issue D* customers are having with the SATA external drives ... D* has gone to a system where the external drive REPLACES the internal and all timers/etc are stored on the drive. One would have to re-create the timers so they existed on any drive in the system.

As far as has been demonstrated, E*'s external drive is NOT a replacement drive. Timers remain on the internal drive and only chosen content is archived.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,868 Posts
James Long said:
As far as has been demonstrated, E*'s external drive is NOT a replacement drive. Timers remain on the internal drive and only chosen content is archived.
I was under the impression that the external drive could be incorporated as opposed to just "offloaded to". I read enough of this stuff that I might well be confusing someone elses feature set. The options as I though I understood them were:

1. TiVo S3: DVR material may be "interleaved" between drives (a bad thing)
2. Dish Network: DVR material may be recorded to either drive
3. DirecTV: External drive replaces internal drive (I suspect this will be "fixed")

Given that Dish is using USB 2.0, I can understand why the external drive may not be available as live DVR storage. Perhaps a USB RAID could be required for live storage.

·
Mentor
38 Posts
eatonjb said:
but you have to reboot your system every time, so the timers wont work.. for example if I tell it to get all the startreks, then swap drives, the new drive will not know to get the star treks

eaton
Yeah it is such a bother to create the timers again. :rolleyes:

But there is a way around this, and when I'm done I may post the procedures. I currently us a Linksys NSLU2 to get around the need to re-create the timers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.