Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
6,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EchoStar Rolls out High-Speed Internet Service

Business Editors

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 19, 2006--EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) today launched "DISH Network High-Speed Internet powered by WildBlue," a satellite-delivered broadband Internet service. Now, consumers can bundle the lowest-priced, all-digital TV service in the nation with the convenience and speed of broadband Internet access.

DISH Network High-Speed Internet powered by WildBlue is a two-way satellite service that provides an always-on, high-speed data connection. Available packages are up to 30 times faster than dial-up, so there are no similar delays accessing the Internet and no worries about busy signals or being disconnected.

"Our customers living in rural communities have endured the slower speeds of dial-up simply because they haven't had choices when it comes to high-speed Internet service providers," said Jim DeFranco, executive vice president at EchoStar. "With DISH Network High-Speed Internet powered by WildBlue, they now have access to affordable broadband Internet via satellite with speeds comparable to DSL or cable modem - without the need for an additional phone line."

"There is a large demand for an affordable satellite broadband solution from homes and small businesses that haven't been able to enjoy high-speed benefits in the past," said Dave Leonard, CEO of WildBlue. "We're excited to work with a powerful distributor like EchoStar to make high-speed Internet services powered by WildBlue available to their customers across the country."

Consumers can sign up for service through authorized DISH Network retailers. Packages start at $49.95 per month and include multiple email addresses, web hosting space, and 24/7 DISH Network technical support. A separate satellite dish is required to receive the high-speed Internet service; however an additional phone line is not necessary.

For more information or to subscribe to DISH Network or DISH Network High-Speed Internet powered by WildBlue, contact a local DISH Network retailer or visit www.dishnetwork.com.

About EchoStar

EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) serves more than 12.46 million satellite TV customers through its DISH Network(TM), the fastest growing U.S. provider of advanced digital television services in the last five years. DISH Network offers hundreds of video and audio channels, Interactive TV, HDTV, sports and international programming, together with professional installation and 24-hour customer service. Visit EchoStar's DISH Network at www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

Kathie Gonzalez, 720-514-5351
[email protected]

SOURCE: EchoStar Communications Corporation ( http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=68854&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=918977&highlight= )

·
Hall Of Fame
1,518 Posts
Kind of funny that you can get internet without a phone line, but if you don't have it for the PVR, we're going to charge you every month. How would you like to be the CSR explaining that to a customer. "ok, so you'd like internet and satellite TV. No phone line, well, we'll need to charge you monthly for the TV........" click....."Hello"

·
Legend
134 Posts
"Our customers living in rural communities have endured the slower speeds of dial-up simply because they haven't had choices when it comes to high-speed Internet service providers," said Jim DeFranco, executive vice president at EchoStar."

Huh? Did Jim forget about the partnership Dish had with Starband about 6 or 7 years ago? With that fiasco if I were him I'd forget also!

·
AllStar
67 Posts
Don't get overly excited over the Wild Blue partnership. I have both, Wild Blue and Dish, and pay separately. Wild Blue is a suitable alternative only, but does not compare to cable or DSL broadband. My experience to date is that Wild Blue is adequate for it's purpose - rural areas with no other choice.

·
Legend
126 Posts
thopki2 said:
Don't get overly excited over the Wild Blue partnership. I have both, Wild Blue and Dish, and pay separately. Wild Blue is a suitable alternative only, but does not compare to cable or DSL broadband. My experience to date is that Wild Blue is adequate for it's purpose - rural areas with no other choice.
Doesn't Wild Blue download thru the satelite and upload thru the phone line.

·
Mentor
48 Posts
I thought they were going to offer better pricing if you had dish and Wild Blue. You can go through anyone and get the $49.95 pricing. So when they talked about it on the Charlie Chat, You really could have ordered then because the pricing is the same as it was then.

·
Godfather
359 Posts
I checked the WB site and it says that I currently don't qualify due to "overwhelming demand" in my area. I have heard that WB was putting up a new satellite and I'm assuming that's when I'll be eligable again to receive sat internet.

Anybody heard when the new satellite is supposed to be up/running? I live in rural area and BellSouth says no DSL until (at least) '08, and cable company refuses to run out to our area (neighborhood even had county government involved). Anyways... I know satellite isn't like DSL or cable, but if you were sitting out here with my blazing 21.6Kbps connection, you would understand! I will feel like it's the mid 1990's!!!!!!

·
AllStar
67 Posts
tedb3rd said:
I checked the WB site and it says that I currently don't qualify due to "overwhelming demand" in my area. I have heard that WB was putting up a new satellite and I'm assuming that's when I'll be eligable again to receive sat internet.

Anybody heard when the new satellite is supposed to be up/running? I live in rural area and BellSouth says no DSL until (at least) '08, and cable company refuses to run out to our area (neighborhood even had county government involved). Anyways... I know satellite isn't like DSL or cable, but if you were sitting out here with my blazing 21.6Kbps connection, you would understand! I will feel like it's the mid 1990's!!!!!!
I know the feeling. Prior to signing up for Wild Blue, I experienced blazing high speeds of 19.2 max on dial up.
Wild Blue is an improvement, but as mentioned, not the ultimate solution.

·
Godfather
289 Posts
Presence said:
Have you ever noticed that when a broadband company compares their speed to "dial-up" they are always basing it on a 28.8 modem speed? What the hell is up with that? :nono:
If you are rural, 28.8 is as good as it gets. A 56k connection has the same 3 mile distance limitation to a digital switch that DSL has. If you can get a 56k modem connection, you can probably get DSL.

·
Legend
164 Posts
BaldEagle said:
I have Clearwire for internet. Plan to eliminate my land phone line soon with Voip.
Yep I CUT my landline over a year ago when I got UNLIMITED coast to coast calling ANYTIME for 49.99 month with my cell provider. Had 3200 minutes usage last month...good thing Minutes dont count anymore!

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Damn that's 2 1/2 days worth of talking in a month. :eek2: According ro my Nextel Online account I've used less then 1000 cellular minutes and nearly 500 walkie talkie minutes since I got the account is September 2003.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.