DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mentor
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this annoying loud electric humming (I'm not talking about the fan) with my HR-20 (I've owned it about a month). It is worse on certain stations. Even after turning the power off on the unit it is still there. Obviously, when I unplug it the hum disappears.

I'm wondering if this is just normal with these, because I had two HR-10's that were the same way. Even if this is not normal, I can't exchange it, because no Best Buy's in Minnesota have any in stock.

I've even been tempted to try one of those expensive PS Audio units like this: http://www.pspower.com/products/upchb.asp to solve my issues.

Any comments welcome. Thanks.

-Peter

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
No, that is not normall.
You should not be hearing any type of electrical hum from the unit

·
Icon
716 Posts
Quattro said:
I have this annoying loud electric humming (I'm not talking about the fan) with my HR-20 (I've owned it about a month). It is worse on certain stations. Even after turning the power off on the unit it is still there. Obviously, when I unplug it the hum disappears.

I'm wondering if this is just normal with these, because I had two HR-10's that were the same way. Even if this is not normal, I can't exchange it, because no Best Buy's in Minnesota have any in stock.

I've even been tempted to try one of those expensive PS Audio units like this: http://www.pspower.com/products/upchb.asp to solve my issues.

Any comments welcome. Thanks.

-Peter
I heard the same kind of humming from mine, which I believe caused by the hard disc. One thing I found out was that the surface I had it sitting on was not level (or the unit itself's feet were not level). I wedged something under the center front of the unit, slightly picking it up off its front feet and most of the humming sound went away. I can still hear it slightly, but not that noticable away from the front of the unit. Don't know if your problem is the same, but probably worth a try.

·
Mentor
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
69hokie said:
I heard the same kind of humming from mine, which I believe caused by the hard disc. One thing I found out was that the surface I had it sitting on was not level (or the unit itself's feet were not level). I wedged something under the center front of the unit, slightly picking it up off its front feet and most of the humming sound went away. I can still hear it slightly, but not that noticable away from the front of the unit. Don't know if your problem is the same, but probably worth a try.
I'll give that a try tonight. I'm pretty sure the unit is sitting level. But, I'll give anything a try!

Otherwise, if that fails, I'll call DirecTV tomorrow and at least get my complaint logged in the computer, so, that when HR-20's are available, I can exchange it for a new one.

-Peter

·
Godfather
267 Posts
Mine does the same thing. "hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...." I can hear it through the wall even on a quiet morning. Our bedroom is right behind the wall where the HR20 is located. I figured it's just the drive.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,020 Posts
My access card was viberating and I placed a rubber foot from an old computer router right under where the access card door is and it seemed to give that part of the unit abit more support and I have not had a hum in the month since.

·
Mentor
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mavrick said:
My access card was viberating and I placed a rubber foot from an old computer router right under where the access card door is and it seemed to give that part of the unit abit more support and I have not had a hum in the month since.
The fact that the hum that I'm hearing actually has different volume levels when I change to differnt channels makes me think that my noise is not coming from any vibration (if that was the culprit, the noise level should be constant). Maybe I have some RF noise getting in there, and a power conditioner would clean it up.

·
AllStar
83 Posts
Since the HR-20 is a two prong unit without a ground, I had to plug my Sat cables into my Monster HT 3500, this method eliminated the hum from my system.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.