DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two shows from British television premiered against each other Thursday night - Eleventh Hour and Life on Mars. As you can read in my comments on the Life on Mars thread, we weren't impressed in our household.

Eleventh Hour, on the other hand, was better than the Brit version. I hadn't expected the American version pilot to be the same plot as the Brit first episode. The Brit first episode description from IMDb:
Hood is on the trail of a doctor attempting to clone humans, and his only clues are burned or buried foetuses across Europe - the failed results.
The American pilot description from IMDb:
When evidence suggests that someone is attempting human cloning, Dr. Jacob Hood, Special Science Advisor to the FBI, is called in to investigate.
And the two scripts had the same basic plot outline. The Brit version from Granada Television ran 90 minutes on ITV which did give more time to develop the plot and characters. But apparently some kind of "artistic differences" at the producer level caused plot changes in subsequent episodes.

The surprise was how much better we liked Rufus Sewell as Hood than we did Patrick Stewart and how ok we were with Marley Shelton in the Rachel Young part played in the Brit version by Ashley Jensen (Christina in Ugly Betty).

Sewell really made the Hood part his own with greater force of personality than Stewart.

For whatever reason, the Brit version only had four episodes. I hope this version will have four seasons and fully realize its potential.

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TedBarrett said:
I was a little surprised by the religious language from the scientist.
I think it's what you do when you have to work with people outside the scientific community to solve problems that cross boundaries.

· Godfather
314 Posts
I missed the first episode but watched it this week. It was certainly better than Life on Mars. I will keep watching it for awhile to see if I like it. There are so many darn cop shows even though he is not a cop. There were many twists and turns in the plot that kept me interested but I am still not sold on the premise of the show. I just read the part about human cloning so I guess this will be the theme for the show.
I don't think that scientist and religious are mutually exclusive!

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rustynails said:
I missed the first episode but watched it this week. It was certainly better than Life on Mars. I will keep watching it for awhile to see if I like it. There are so many darn cop shows even though he is not a cop. There were many twists and turns in the plot that kept me interested but I am still not sold on the premise of the show. I just read the part about human cloning so I guess this will be the theme for the show.
I don't think that scientist and religious are mutually exclusive!
The second episode was better than the first. It was well written in that the interaction between Dr. Hood and the non-scientists characters doesn't go sideways in some sort of power struggle. It works particularly well as Rufus Sewell plays Hood.

· In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09
3,381 Posts
I liked the interaction with Erica Gimpel (sp). I have always liked her since Fame. It was an interesting take for a man of science to give credence to her natural pharmacopia. I thought they had better chemistry than Sewell does with his FBI protector.

The problem with her character is that it seems to be a clone of the agent on Fringe and she seems so one dimensional. Maybe I just need some back story on her or a bit of humor to seep through.

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Supramom2000 said:
I liked the interaction with Erica Gimpel (sp). I have always liked her since Fame. It was an interesting take for a man of science to give credence to her natural pharmacopia. I thought they had better chemistry than Sewell does with his FBI protector.

The problem with her character is that it seems to be a clone of the agent on Fringe and she seems so one dimensional. Maybe I just need some back story on her or a bit of humor to seep through.
Yes, since Fame plus her regular work on Profiler, ER, Veronica Mars, etc. She gets regular work because she is a very good actress. Her performance in this part was a good example.

Regarding the agents, the writers need to watch Criminal Minds to get some ideas for creating an ongoing style for a female agent. We've only seen two episodes and the British version which died after 4 episodes didn't really develop that character. Since she's stuck babysitting a science expert, they could write a great backstory.

For those who are interested, it appears that Eleventh Hour is holding its own in ratings while Life on Mars ratings tumbled at 10:30 this past week.

· Godfather
256 Posts
definitely have enjoyed the first two episodes so far...had some anticipation for this show and its definite met that...seems like im definitely going to have some good shows to watch heading into the winter months...

i flipped to life on mars for a quick second...but i couldnt really get into it and went right back to eleventh hour...

i definitely think there are elements of the agents backstory that will come out in future episodes, but im thinking they want you to feel completely comfortable with hood first..

· Godfather
314 Posts
I must say that his show is getting better or at least I am liking it better. There are so many shows from seasons past that I prefer more like CSI (2 out of 3), House, Lost, Criminal Minds, etc. There are just so many hours in a day to watch television. Some of the new shows that I have never heard of don't get my attention due to only being able to record 2 shows at a time with my dvr.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.