Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have a new version of software.
How many units have the same problems?
There still is a hardware QC problem when a new unit, bought from BB, won't boot.
I don't have "the answer". I'm sure there are still software issues [bugs] to fix.
I do have to ask though: what if you exchange your problem box? Would some of the reboot issues be resolved?
Not everyone seems to have problems with [any] software & others continue to have the same problems.
Just food for thought. I'm no genus. I just have a [bad] habit of continuing to keep thinking of the problem and everything about it until I find a fix [I've been a troubleshooter way too long].

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
veryoldschool said:
There still is a hardware QC problem when a new unit, bought from BB, won't boot.
Well the HR20 has a hard drive in it, which is much more likely to fail than the other components in it. There's always a small chance that a newly purchased computer won't boot either. Sometimes hard drives are just bad.

veryoldschool said:
I do have to ask though: what if you exchange your problem box? Would some of the reboot issues be resolved?
It all depends if the problem is hardware related. Again, a bad hard drive definitely could cause boot issues for the HR20.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would rule anything out until it's fixed. Hard drive, bad boards, bad assembly, take your pick.
If I could only get the returned units on a bench and find out what they did or didn't do.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,060 Posts
veryoldschool said:
So we have a new version of software.
How many units have the same problems?
I don't have "the answer". I'm sure there are still software issues [bugs] to fix.
Not everyone seems to have problems with [any] software & others continue to have the same problems.
Just food for thought. I'm no genus. I just have a [bad] habit of continuing to keep thinking of the problem and everything about it until I find a fix [I've been a troubleshooter way too long].
I'm with you on this one veryold. With the variety of different problems reported, when someone keeps seeing the same problems from release to release and others either clear up or start seeing something else, I'm inclined to start thinking hardware. Which is why I haven't been tempted to replace my box since that first Reset Everything seemed to resolve the major problems. (It ain't broke...)

·
Icon
545 Posts
Not sure if this has been addressed before, but my HR20 says Made in Mexico manufactured date 10/16/06. Is there more than 1 point of origin for the boxes?

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SuperTech1 said:
Not sure if this has been addressed before, but my HR20 says Made in Mexico manufactured date 10/16/06. Is there more than 1 point of origin for the boxes?
PACE, the manufacture, builds all in Mexico [to date]

·
Hall Of Fame
1,335 Posts
The techs I know who actually get these critters to start up when the "won't boot" syndrome is in place -- tell me that 99% of the time, folks are trying to boot up with HDMI only in place.

These critters often come with oem software in place that tells it to expect component hookups -- and nothing else. Have y'all tried booting with component and, then, switching to HDMI?

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ed Campbell said:
The techs I know who actually get these critters to start up when the "won't boot" syndrome is in place -- tell me that 99% of the time, folks are trying to boot up with HDMI only in place.
These critters often come with oem software in place that tells it to expect component hookups -- and nothing else. Have y'all tried booting with component and, then, switching to HDMI?
I can see your point with a "new box", though I don't have the problem with HDMI "booting". Once the box is up & running, there just seems to be different "issues" between different boxes, that we all are "thinking" about why it's so.
The "won't boot" example I used was cured by exchanging at BB.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
Ed Campbell said:
That's how mine worked initially. The tech thought we had a dead box until I changed to component. Good thing I had read about the HDMI issues on this forum, because that was the last HR20 available to him.

Since then, the HR20 has come up fine after reboots on HDMI.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.