DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a satisfied Dish Network customer. And now I'm even happier with them.

Last February we received the 1 year Platinum free as our Dish 30th Anniversary celebration gift. Today we received an email saying:
Thanks for helping us celebrate our 30th Anniversary. We hope you have enjoyed your DISH Platinum channels at no cost to you.

This programming expires on 2/1/12 and will be automatically removed from your account. To continue enjoying great HD programming like this, call us at 800-333-DISH (800-333-3474) for an exclusive offer.

Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer.
Very reluctantly because I hate calling, I called and got buried in the phone menu system. So I reverted to my preference, the Online Chat which went as follows:
(CSR): Hi, my name is (CSR). How may I help you?
(CSR): Hi (ME), how are you today?
(ME): I received an email saying: (I pasted in the email text)
(ME): What offers are available?
(CSR): I will be happy to assist you with your Dish Platinum offers request.
(CSR): Blockbuster Movie Pass includes over 100,000 titles available with unlimited movie, TV show and game rentals by mail and unlimited in-store exchanges with a 1 Disc at a time plan. You'll also get over 20 great entertainment channels and stream thousands of movies to your TV or PC.
(CSR): Movie pass, included all the channels of Dish Platinum and Blockbuster by mail.
(ME): And what's my "exclusive offer" as that's been available for awhile at $10 a month.
(CSR): Please give me a moment to research this for you.
LONG WAIT.
(CSR): I appreciate your patience.
(CSR): I will offer you Blockbuster free for 3 months on your account.
(CSR): You'll also receive the Blockbuster Movie Pass for 3 months, normally $10/month. An HD receiver is needed to receive all channels included in the Blockbuster Movie Pass. In order to stream content to your PC or HD DVR receiver you must remain constantly connected to the internet at a speed of 3MBPS or higher. An HD DVR is needed to stream online content to your TV. After 3 months, you'll continue to receive Blockbuster Movie Pass at the then current price unless you cancel. Disconnection or pausing of service will forfeit your offer.
(ME): Sounds great! Let's do go ahead with it.
(CSR): Certainly (ME).
(CSR): I have added the Blockbuster Movie pass free for three months. (A long list of channels and movie info plus instructions followed.)
(CSR): Is there anything else I may assist you with?
(ME): Yes. I just received an email:
You have successfully removed Paperless Billing from your DISH Network account.
(ME): This is an error!
(CSR): Would you like to continue with paperless billing on the account?
(ME): Yes
(CSR): I have updated the account with paperless billing and I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.
(ME): Great, no problem.
(CSR): Thank you (ME).
(CSR): Do you have any other questions for me?
(ME): No, this is great. Thank you.
(CSR): Thank you for using DISH Network chat and have a great day!
(CSR) has disconnected.
So except for that little glitch on the paperless billing change, it went very well.

I'm getting the Blockbuster thing free for three months following the Platinum free for 12 months.

· Legend
155 Posts
phrelin said:
I'm getting the Blockbuster thing free for three months following the Platinum free for 12 months.
I got the same email, have not called yet. I have little interest in the Blockbuster streaming thru the DVR box. The DISH Internet Demand UI is almost unusable. It really is horrible, not to mention s l o w. Netflix has nothing to worry about Blockbuster beating them on streaming.

But hey, it is free for 3 months and the Platinum channels are almost worth $10 by themselves. If you do not like Blockbuster Pass, make sure you cancel before 3 months as it seems it will go on automatically.

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lazy Senior said:
I got the same email, have not called yet. I have little interest in the Blockbuster streaming thru the DVR box. The DISH Internet Demand UI is almost unusable. It really is horrible, not to mention s l o w. Netflix has nothing to worry about Blockbuster beating them on streaming.

But hey, it is free for 3 months and the Platinum channels are almost worth $10 by themselves. If you do not like Blockbuster Pass, make sure you cancel before 3 months as it seems it will go on automatically.
To keep the cost down I've always tried to get the premiums, trying to alternate when Showtime and/or Starz weren't offering series programming. When they were I could record movies I'd missed.

I don't stream much even though I have a computer hooked up to my "home theater" system. Mostly just when a power outage or other failure screwed up my planned recording.

The three months is really just an extension on the free Platinum for me. But as you say, it's three months!

· Legend
155 Posts
I just called about my "Exclusive Offer" for the End of Anniversary. I was not offered a 3 month free Blockbuster pass. Instead I was offered half off the Platinum package for 6 months. The CSR said it would be $5 a month. I thought this was odd since the Platinum package has been discontinued. I asked her to repeat the offer, thinking I got it wrong. Nope, half off 6 months of Platinum. There was no mention of a Blockbuster package.

I said no thanks. Makes me wonder if the CSR knew what she was talking about?

· EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
Platinum still exists as Blockbuster Movie Pass which is being rebranded as Blockbuster @Home. That's something the CSR should have known, or at least be able to recall with the clues you gave her.

The different offers you and phrelin got both work out to $30 over time. I'd jump on either.

· Legend
155 Posts
BobaBird said:
Platinum still exists as Blockbuster Movie Pass which is being rebranded as Blockbuster @Home. That's something the CSR should have known, or at least be able to recall with the clues you gave her.

The different offers you and phrelin got both work out to $30 over time. I'd jump on either.
I just had Platinum for a year free. I know what it is. Blockbuster Pass is different. It includes Blockbuster streaming and DVD service, plus the old Platinum channels.

phrelin got offered a better deal than I - - over a 3 month time period.. :lol:

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I can, I avoid calling at all. I like the online chat where I get a transcript to print and save, though even before I print it I highlight and copy the text into Notepad.

Try a chat to see what will happen.

· Legend
155 Posts
CeeWoo said:
I wonder if the offers can vary depending on a customers history (ie: how long they've been a customer without dropping service)
I have been a customer for 23 months. I am probably going to switch to Directv in a month so. This is why I did not take the half off for 6 months. Free for 3 months would have cost me $0. Half off for 6 months would cost me $5.

· Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery
3,148 Posts
phrelin said:
If I can, I avoid calling at all. I like the online chat where I get a transcript to print and save, though even before I print it I highlight and copy the text into Notepad.
and here I thought I was the only nutter who did that. :)

· AllStar
100 Posts
The email I received was slightly different from Phrelin's

This programming expires on 2/1/12 and will be automatically removed from your account. To continue enjoying Starz, call us at 800-333-DISH (800-333-3474) for an exclusive offer

I haven't called/chatted yet

· Godfather
359 Posts
russ9 said:
I called and got an offer to get HBO for three months. I asked about the Blockbuster offer and was offered 1 year of the package free, with a 2 year Dish commitment. They did thank me on my almost 15 years with Dish.
I'm curious Russ---were you on Blockbuster Movie Pass prior to them saying they can give it to you for a yr with a committment...or would it have been an add on?

My yr of starz should also be ending soon (I haven't rec any email notification yet though) and have been considering adding HBO...I may hold off now-just in case

· Godfather
391 Posts
CeeWoo said:
I'm curious Russ---were you on Blockbuster Movie Pass prior to them saying they can give it to you for a yr with a committment...or would it have been an add on?

My yr of starz should also be ending soon (I haven't rec any email notification yet though) and have been considering adding HBO...I may hold off now-just in case
No, I was coming off the Starz free year.

· Icon
678 Posts
BobaBird said:

Theres a good chunk of people who got the platinum for a year that didnt transition over to having BBMP when it was introduced a few months back, thats why the CSR didnt mention it.
edit:
Also just throwing this out there, for you guys who have recieved the Starz package free for a year if you call in before it rolls off you can get it for 6 months at 6$ per month.

· Legend
158 Posts
If you took Dishes offer to change to HBO & Cinamax for the last 3 months of the 1 year free anniversary deal it does not auto cancel. You have to go to your account and my offers and select "do not continue". I chated and that is what the rep said to do. He was right !! I was also offered Starz at 1/2 price for 6 months.

· Godfather
347 Posts
phrelin said:
I have been a satisfied Dish Network customer. And now I'm even happier with them.

Last February we received the 1 year Platinum free as our Dish 30th Anniversary celebration gift. Today we received an email saying:
Very reluctantly because I hate calling, I called and got buried in the phone menu system. So I reverted to my preference, the Online Chat which went as follows:
So except for that little glitch on the paperless billing change, it went very well.

I received free 3mos of BBMP also, thanx to Ray, but let it expire as the turnaround slowed down immensely after the first month. But, I guess I was just comparing it to Netflix which lost me with its 60% rate increase. DVR'd several movies over the weekend with the free HBO/CINEMAX. Added to my stable of others recorded already I should be good for quite a while.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.