DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Icon
Joined
·
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last several years, I have had various equipment upgrade offers on the DTV account web page under the "MyEquipment" tab. Usually its been for dollars off or even a free HDDVR upgrade. I've never taken them up on it,I've got all the DVR's I need. I noticed about a month ago, these offers are no longer there,replaced with an ad about bundling Directv with other services. Does anyone else still get equipment offers on their account page? Has DTV stopped doing this practice of equipment discounts to long term subscribers? Just curious....thanks!:rolleyes:
 

· I used to be a rocket scientist
Joined
·
11,448 Posts
bnwrx said:
For the last several years, I have had various equipment upgrade offers on the DTV account web page under the "MyEquipment" tab. Usually its been for dollars off or even a free HDDVR upgrade. I've never taken them up on it,I've got all the DVR's I need. I noticed about a month ago, these offers are no longer there,replaced with an ad about bundling Directv with other services. Does anyone else still get equipment offers on their account page? Has DTV stopped doing this practice of equipment discounts to long term subscribers? Just curious....thanks!:rolleyes:
I have no idea what their system does or why it does it, but I just checked and right now I can get an HDRVR for $99, or an HD receiver free. I've been a subscriber since 1997, but I'm currently out of commitment.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LameLefty said:
I have no idea what their system does or why it does it, but I just checked and right now I can get an HDRVR for $99, or an HD receiver free. I've been a subscriber since 1997, but I'm currently out of commitment.
I had that same offer in Jan and Feb this year. No, no offer....I guess I offended them somehow...:eek2:
 

· Icon
Joined
·
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sigma1914 said:
Have you or are you receiving any current discounts?
Yes, but I had several discount occurring in Jan and Feb also...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
14,539 Posts
Richard said:
just be aware, the HDDVR you will receive for that $99 "offer" will be a refurbished one.
Correction... the HDDVR you will receive for that $99 "offer" couldbe a refurbished one. You get whatever is on the shelf.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
881 Posts
"Richard" said:
why are you "correcting" me? I didn't ask you to. You will get a refurb, try it and see. I really don't appreciate being "corrected".
You may not appreciate being corrected, but it's no certainty that you'll get a refurb.

I got a free DVR add-on last year and it was a brand-spanking new HR24.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
14,539 Posts
Richard said:
why are you "correcting" me? I didn't ask you to. You will get a refurb, try it and see. I really don't appreciate being "corrected", especially when it is you that is incorrect.
Because you're flat out wrong. You get whatever model they have next in line. They can't control which model you get unless you're ordering a Tivo or HR34.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
7,054 Posts
I've ordered 2 through the website at different times in the past when they showed as discounted or free, both were brand new units. Sigma was absolutely right to correct you Richard. Please don't mistake your anecdotal evidence as facts when posting here. If you would have said " I've always gotten refurbs so don't expect a new one" that would have been more accurate.
 

· Always Searching
Joined
·
1,940 Posts
bnwrx said:
For the last several years, I have had various equipment upgrade offers on the DTV account web page under the "MyEquipment" tab. Usually its been for dollars off or even a free HDDVR upgrade. I've never taken them up on it,I've got all the DVR's I need. I noticed about a month ago, these offers are no longer there,replaced with an ad about bundling Directv with other services. Does anyone else still get equipment offers on their account page? Has DTV stopped doing this practice of equipment discounts to long term subscribers? Just curious....thanks!:rolleyes:
I've never figured out the rhyme or reason to this one; they seem to come and go regardless of whether I'm under commitment or not. There does seem to be a timeline though...maybe a supply/demand thing... I'll check one day and there's a free HDDVR offer -- then it will disappear for a few weeks or so, only to reappear or be replaced by a $99 HDDVR offer.

I did have a free offer a month ago, so it seems it's still happening. I just looked and that offer is no longer there though.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
930 Posts
2 possibilities....1. the promotions on your account have changed and the website hasnt caught up yet. 2. you have reached your credit limit for the year and any discounts will be discretionary in nature
 

· Icon
Joined
·
1,083 Posts
$99 for a DVR for me as well. One thing that did change is that for some reason, up until recently it was MORE expensive to order one for self install than if I wanted it pro-installed. Guess someone recognized the mistake because it is corrected now.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
884 Posts
I just managed to exchange a couple of HR20s for a couple of HR24s under the protection plan today. Had to pull teeth to get them, too. No free AM21Ns, just a refund for purchasing one, and program credits for the other.

The installer told me that Direct has tightened up a LOT on freebies since the first of the year. Frankly, I feel fortunate to get what I got.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mnassour said:
I just managed to exchange a couple of HR20s for a couple of HR24s under the protection plan today. Had to pull teeth to get them, too. No free AM21Ns, just a refund for purchasing one, and program credits for the other.

The installer told me that Direct has tightened up a LOT on freebies since the first of the year. Frankly, I feel to get what I got.
Your last sentence is probably closest to the truth. There was a Forum post here many months ago about DTV's CEO saying the company needed to "tighten its belt" so to speak in regards to promo offers. Can't quote it properly here, been to long ago, but reducing these hardware discounts is certainly one means to that end.

Thanks for all your inputs....
 

· Grouch Extrordinaire
Joined
·
1,237 Posts
bnwrx said:
There was a Forum post here many months ago about DTV's CEO saying the company needed to "tighten its belt" so to speak in regards to promo offers. Can't quote it properly here, been to long ago, but reducing these hardware discounts is certainly one means to that end.
That is exactly the sense I got from an e-mail I received from Ms. Filipiak last week.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top