DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Mentor
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seeing all sorts of references to types of dishs, boxes etc etc.

As a new customer what is the setup I should be requesting? Whats the latest and best? Im looking to be a long term customer and dont want to have to upgrade again in a year.

Currently looking at 1 HD DVR, 1 HD, and 2 SD. The 2 SD will eventually become HD.

· Godfather
385 Posts
If you wanted to put DVR's in place of any of the SD receivers, it would not cost any more monthly, but it may cost a little more to get the units. My daughter loves her DVR which costs the same to me because I am paying for DVR service anyway.

Welcome to DBStalk. You'll be glad you visit here. Do you need a referral? $50 off plus whatever other deal you get.

· Godfather
385 Posts
The setup should be pretty normal. They'll probably install the newest dish with 5 LNB's for locals and HD and you'll get the DVR they have on the truck. In Boston, you probably get your locals in HD already. I don't get my HD locals thru Directv, so I have an HR20-700 which has a built in OTA. The HR21's don't have the OTA tuner. If you need that you'll need an AM21.

· Legend
329 Posts
I would not ask for SD boxes myself.
Even if you down res the HD box to an SD TV you will have a much better picture then later if you add an HD TV you are already set.

JC

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
The cheapest way to a big system is to start small and gradually upgrade.

By doing that over an 18-month period, I got all the DirecTV equipment in my signature for about $250.

I don't think you can do quite that well now, but you can still save by doing it gradually and calling to see what kind of deal you can get.

· Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
Rabidfool said:
What style dish should I insist on being installed. I'm probably butchering the name, but is a Slimline what I want?
A Slimline is what you will get. THere is a newer replacement starting to appear, same dish, different LNB arraignment. I agree with the others to go for DVR's, your billing will remain the same although the initial outlay will be a bit higher. Also when going for DVR's on the initial install, all of the cabling, multi-switches will be installed and you won't have the headache of upgrading later.

· Godfather
489 Posts
I would agree with the above posts. If going with a new install i would put DVR's in each room if you can afford the upfront cost. Once you have used a DVR (and your family has too) they will be unhappy about standard receivers. If you can't go all HD DVR's then SD DVR's for the extra rooms would be the way to go. Like it was said above you would already be paying the DVR fee so there would be no extra fees for extra DVR's. Additionally you would be paying a $5 fee for each extra receiver anyway so why not have DVR's (more bang for the buck).

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
Other than stating that you want x number of HD-DVRs, y number of HD receivers, etc., you won't really be able to request anything anyway.

DirecTV's ordering system builds your order based on the TYPE (not the MODEL) of receivers you order. You cannot "request" one type of dish or another; you'll get the dish that gets you the content needed for the receivers and programming you order.

And the ordering system does not specify model numbers. If you order an HD-DVR, you'll get whatever HD-DVRs are currently in your local DirecTV warehouse at that time. There's no way to request one model or another, because there would often be no way to fulfill those requests anyway, and DirecTV does not want to have to deal with receiver requests down to that level of detail.

Anyway, if you order any HD equipment, you will get a Slimline dish, because that is the ONLY dish for HD in the continental US. There are several different LNB options for that dish, and you'll get one that is appropriate for your equipment, but again, there's no way to request one or the other at this time.

· Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
Rabidfool said:
What is the new LNB for MPEG4 that people are referring to?
Slimline3 (SL3)

SL3 and SL5 (Slimline5) both receive MPEG4 but the SL3 does not have LNB's for sats 110 or 119.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.