DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep getting error 22 when i try to connect to the internet for "direct tc on demand" setp

I have an HR 20 700, with the cat 6 Ethernet cable running direct into my D link router. The IP address on the direct tv menu 192.168.0.199 matches the IP address in the d-link menu. The direct tv menu says:

IP address 192.168.0.199 OK
subnet mask 255.255.255.0 OK
Default gateway 192.168.0.1 OK
DNS: 192.168.0.1 OK
Network: Connected
Internet: Not connected to the internet (22)

I know its not the cable or the connection. if i plug my computer into the ethernet cable instead of the HR 20, i can connect to the internet with my computer. Also my dlink routher shows the following in status, so obviously the network is connected to the reciever since "directtv-stb" is now on the list see below from dlink staus:
LAN Computers
IP Address Name (if any) MAC
192.168.0.196 DBLN9631 00:18:f8:a5:2d:88
192.168.0.197 Owner-PC 00:1f:3b:46:3b:31
192.168.0.198 00:20:00:2b:b1:d0
192.168.0.199 DIRECTV-STB-94FC799F 00:50:94:fc:79:9f

I tried unplugging everything including the HR 20. i plugged in the modem, then the router, and the the hR 20 and let it reboot. I tried letting it sit overnight and then rebooted everything (tried for 2 days).

I know little about networks - i expected this to plug and play -- can someone help me?

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Is the DNS setting the same one as your computer? You might want to specify the DNS server manually.

Does your router have DHCP? If so, you might want to reset the HR20's network settings and try it again.

Also, just to point out, the Network:Connected setting just means that there's some sort of signal on the line, nothing more. It doesn't mean the HR20 can see the router.

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stuart Sweet said:
Is the DNS setting the same one as your computer? You might want to specify the DNS server manually.

Does your router have DHCP? If so, you might want to reset the HR20's network settings and try it again.

Also, just to point out, the Network:Connected setting just means that there's some sort of signal on the line, nothing more. It doesn't mean the HR20 can see the router.
this is from my laptop so dns is the same:

Description: Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
Physical Address: 00-1F-3B-46-3B-31
DHCP Enabled: Yes
IPv4 IP Address: 192.168.0.197
IPv4 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 6:02:47 PM
Lease Expires: Thursday, July 24, 2008 9:01:07 PM
IPv4 Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
IPv4 DHCP Server: 192.168.0.1
IPv4 DNS Server: 192.168.0.1
IPv4 WINS Server:
NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled: Yes

i did try restoring defaults on the hr20. no luck. unplugged and rebooted with no luck. im not sure what else to do.

also i dont understand networking, but if the hr20 doesnt 'see' the router, it looks like the router 'sees' the hr20 since its on my dlink status menu.

· Mentor
48 Posts
Check your D-link logs to make sure nothing is being blocked by the router's firewall rules. It's possible that the ping the DVR is sending to the 'net is being blocked either outbound or on the reply.

You could quickly test to see if it's a firewall/access problem by making the DVR a DMZ computer in the DLink config. On my Dlink, that configuration parameter is found in the Advanced...Firewall...DMZ Host menu. Keep in mind that while in the DMZ, there's no firewall in front of your DVR.

-c

· Registered
2,158 Posts
justman said:
I keep getting error 22 when i try to connect to the internet for "direct tc on demand" setp

I have an HR 20 700, with the cat 6 Ethernet cable running direct into my D link router. The IP address on the direct tv menu 192.168.0.199 matches the IP address in the d-link menu. The direct tv menu says:

IP address 192.168.0.199 OK
subnet mask 255.255.255.0 OK
Default gateway 192.168.0.1 OK
DNS: 192.168.0.1 OK
Network: Connected
Internet: Not connected to the internet (22)

I know its not the cable or the connection. if i plug my computer into the ethernet cable instead of the HR 20, i can connect to the internet with my computer. Also my dlink routher shows the following in status, so obviously the network is connected to the reciever since "directtv-stb" is now on the list see below from dlink staus:
LAN Computers
IP Address Name (if any) MAC
192.168.0.196 DBLN9631 00:18:f8:a5:2d:88
192.168.0.197 Owner-PC 00:1f:3b:46:3b:31
192.168.0.198 00:20:00:2b:b1:d0
192.168.0.199 DIRECTV-STB-94FC799F 00:50:94:fc:79:9f

I tried unplugging everything including the HR 20. i plugged in the modem, then the router, and the the hR 20 and let it reboot. I tried letting it sit overnight and then rebooted everything (tried for 2 days).

I know little about networks - i expected this to plug and play -- can someone help me?
I am having the same problem; I've tried everything and still no resolution.

The only difference is that I still am able to d/l DOD; which doesn't make any sense to me. I fail on the internet test; and yet I can still d/l DOD.....hmmmm

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cruxer said:
Check your D-link logs to make sure nothing is being blocked by the router's firewall rules. It's possible that the ping the DVR is sending to the 'net is being blocked either outbound or on the reply.

You could quickly test to see if it's a firewall/access problem by making the DVR a DMZ computer in the DLink config. On my Dlink, that configuration parameter is found in the Advanced...Firewall...DMZ Host menu. Keep in mind that while in the DMZ, there's no firewall in front of your DVR.

-c
i tried the dmz - no luck. i unplgged and rebooted the box and still error 22.

why is this so hard?

· Legend
205 Posts
Have you guys tried to manually enter the DNS information from the modem as opposed to the system automatically configuring for you? It should be an IP address totally differet from your Network's IP Scheme.

7 Posts
I'm having the same problem with Error 22.

I've searched all over, but no joy :(

I have a HR21-100. I flashed my Buffalo WBR-G54 with tomato and set it up as a Wireless Bridge.

I have no problem connecting my laptop to it and getting to the Internet but neither (I have two) of my HR21s can see the internet.

I can ping them from my computer on the wireless network.:confused:

I tried the DMZ, but nothing.

Do I have to forward ports or something?

Thanks for any help.

Ray

· Legend
205 Posts
RayinMaui said:

I have a HR21-100. I flashed my Buffalo WBR-G54 with tomato and set it up as a Wireless Bridge.

I have no problem connecting my laptop to it and getting to the Internet but neither (I have two) of my HR21s can see the internet.

Thanks for any help.

Ray
Try manually entering the DNS address provided by your ISP instead of the IP address of the router.

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
justman said:
i solved my problem - i switched to opendns on my dlink router and now it works. i have no idea what that means but now it is working.
Good that this worked, but it may have been coincidental as this does not appear to be related to any networking issues.

· AllStar
108 Posts
RayinMaui said:

Thanks for any help.

Ray
I'm suddenly having the issue as well. Everything was working fine, then one day it wasn't. It's not just on one of my HD-DVR's, but all 3. The router sees the DVR's, but my DVR's can't connect to the Internet. My 3 PCs that are all connected to the same switch/router/modem can all connect to the Internet just fine. I'll keep trying...

· Godfather
454 Posts
There are numerous messages about this problem in several threads.

I think there is a software problem in 0X255. My internet connection was consistently good until the 255 update.

Now the box tells me it can't connect.

I'm using a static IP in the box and I can ping it consistently and reliably.

I'm using DTV supplied Powerline adapters and get consistent and reliable 85MBps transfer rates.

I can download using DOD despite the unable to connect message.

My setup is Linksys WRT54G -> Powerline Adapters -> HR-21

· Legend
234 Posts
oldengineer said:

Iwas fine until I installed the new linksys if this model. I am calling Linksys on Monday to see if they might have any ideas. The old linksys router I have still works fine.

· Legend
205 Posts
oldengineer said:

I think there is a software problem in 0X255. My internet connection was consistently good until the 255 update.

Now the box tells me it can't connect.

I'm using a static IP in the box and I can ping it consistently and reliably.

I'm using DTV supplied Powerline adapters and get consistent and reliable 85MBps transfer rates.

I can download using DOD despite the unable to connect message.

Have you hard coded the IP, Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS into your DVR to verify if it is or is not a software issue?

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
groove93 said:
Have you hard coded the IP, Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS into your DVR to verify if it is or is not a software issue?
This one may be in the software .. It's uncertain at the moment .. There is, however, no need to change any of your home network settings .. especially if it did work before and it seems to be working now.

· Cool Member
25 Posts
Doug Brott said:
This one may be in the software .. It's uncertain at the moment .. There is, however, no need to change any of your home network settings .. especially if it did work before and it seems to be working now.
Mine quit working as well I have a software installed called network magic and shows all the devices connected to the network. It says the power line is offline which makes absolutely no sense. Is there a sleep mode on these things?

One other thing I tried changing the DNS in advanced setup on the D21 receiver and it keeps reverting back to the default gateway address 192.168.0.1.

· Godfather
454 Posts
groove93 said:
Absolutely.
IP 192.168.1.110 (fixed)
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1
DNS either 192.168.1.1 or 204.x.x.x. (MY ISP Primary DNS) - both work

I pointed this out in another thread:
I saw a thread on the DIRECTV Tech forums. Lots of users are reporting this exact problem. One user did an IP trace of the connect transaction. Its destination IP is a DIRECTV server (in Texas AFAIR) which is rejecting it. Therefore the "no connection" message despite the fact that DOD still works. This looks more like a DTV network problem than a 0x255 problem now.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.