DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
According to DIRECTV: You’ll see DIRECTV error code 775 when the signal between your receiver and satellite dish is interrupted.

In a bedroom I have two satellite coax connections. Both have worked in the past for satellite recption to a TV. The TV has been on one and a power inserter has been on the other. The power inserter is applying power to the system. It has worked fine. I liked have the power inserter separately in this location because it is easy to get to if I need to unplug and plug it back in. I know the power inserter is working because if I unplug it all receivers in the house go out. I decided to mount the TV on the wall where the power inserter is located. Then I connected an RG6 cable from the open port on the PI (to IRD) to the HR24 SAT 1 port. Now I get the error 775. All other receivers are working fine. The only thing changed was moving the one TV in the bedroom over where the PI is located. The PI is working so why is my HR24 getting the error 775?

Light Circuit component Font Line Office supplies

There is also a 4 way and an 8 way SWM splitter hooked up to this. It is a real spaghetti mess of wires. But somehow everything was working great until I moved the TV. Everything is still working except for that TV.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,868 Posts
The DCPWR port is for power only. It is NOT an output. You need to move the PI cable up to the SWM1/PWR port if you're committed to hanging a receiver off of the PI.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll give it a shot at first light tomorrow. I assume you mean the port right next to where it is attached in now. It is marked as SWM1/PWR CH1-8 and it is the red port? There is already something attached there.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As shown in the screen grab above the cable from the PI is plugged into the DC/PWR port. The two ports next to it have coax on them, SWM1/PWR CH1-8 is going to the IN port on the SWM 4 port splitter and the SWM/CH9-16 is going to the IN port on the SWM 8 port splitter. I do have an HR54 with the built in PI that is on the power port on the SWM 4 port splitter as shown here. First question: If I unplug the PI I lose picture on all receivers. Why doesn't the HR54 power the system when I unplug the PI? Does the system sense there is a separate PI on the system and disable the builtin PI in the HR54?

Circuit component Passive circuit component Electronic component Font Electronic device

Next question. The power port on the SWM 8 port splitter as shown here has nothing plugged into it.

Wheel Automotive tire Toy Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Will it work if I just move the PI cable into the power port of the SWM 8 port splitter?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,868 Posts
Next question. The power port on the SWM 8 port splitter as shown here has nothing plugged into it.
This is why your HR54 isn't able to power the system. Any device that is intended act as the PI must be on the DC power pass line.
Will it work if I just move the PI cable into the power port of the SWM 8 port splitter?
Yes, but that's probably not the ideal way. If all of this stuff is in the same room, you can just move the cable that is currently connected to the "TO IRD" port of the PI to the SWM2 port of the switch and walk away. The ideal is to minimize the number of connections to get to the switch (insertion loss) and the PI puts its downstream gear two connections further away.

If the ultimate goal is to get rid of the SWM switch (ie. you want to use a SWM LNB), then you would want to move the PI to the DC power pass port as you surmised but that still leaves some equipment downstream of the PI which isn't optimal for satellite IF or MoCA.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Taking your word about "spaghetti", I would re-check if it's true. Also, I would swap 4port and 8port splitters to verify DC pass circuit of the 4port one
Well here is the mess. The HR54 does not power through the power port of the SWM 4 way splitter and the PI doesn't power through the power port of the SWM 8 way splitter. In this photo I have moved the PI cable back to the DC/PWR port.

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Wheel Grass Gas

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is why your HR54 isn't able to power the system. Any device that is intended act as the PI must be on the DC power pass line.
Yes, but that's probably not the ideal way. If all of this stuff is in the same room, you can just move the cable that is currently connected to the "TO IRD" port of the PI to the SWM2 port of the switch and walk away. The ideal is to minimize the number of connections to get to the switch (insertion loss) and the PI puts its downstream gear two connections further away.

If the ultimate goal is to get rid of the SWM switch (ie. you want to use a SWM LNB), then you would want to move the PI to the DC power pass port as you surmised but that still leaves some equipment downstream of the PI which isn't optimal for satellite IF or MoCA.
See photo and post above. What would be the optimal way to get it working? I cannot use the cable on the other side of the room. It would have to run across doorways in both direction to get to the TV.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I moved the PI to a different unused location and plugged that cable in the DC/PWR port and it did power up the system. Then I moved the cable where the PI was to a port on the SWM 4 way splitter. Now that receiver is getting an error 776 and says a satellite dish hardware upgrade is required which makes absolutely no sense.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Well here is the mess. The HR54 does not power through the power port of the SWM 4 way splitter and the PI doesn't power through the power port of the SWM 8 way splitter. In this photo I have moved the PI cable back to the DC/PWR port.

View attachment 32483
I have a Suggestion --Replace your LNB with Swm LNB (one Down Lead) Supports 21 swm Channels +1 for the guide data--then remove the SWM-16 and connect a the Down lead to a swim 8 (single port) on top and the Hr54 to the Swm 8 (red port 1) then run on lead to each other receiver (ports 2-8) and get rid of all the useless wire.

Example below --Just replace the LNB --No need to re-align
DirecTV SWM3 LNB DSWM3 3D2LNBR0-02 NEW DSWM reverse band slimline dish 2 lot | eBay

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a Suggestion --Replace your LNB with Swm LNB (one Down Lead) Supports 21 swm Channels +1 for the guide data--then remove the SWM-16 and connect a the Down lead to a swim 8 (single port) on top and the Hr54 to the Swm 8 (red port 1) then run on lead to each other receiver (ports 2-8) and get rid of all the useless wire.

Example below --Just replace the LNB --No need to re-align
DirecTV SWM3 LNB DSWM3 3D2LNBR0-02 NEW DSWM reverse band slimline dish 2 lot | eBay
Also I have 9 locations but only 7 receivers but I would like to have all 9 working for when we move a TV to a different spot in 2 rooms. Can I just add a 4 way splitter connected to a port on the 8 way splitter so I can have all 9 locations active all of the time?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,868 Posts
Because the PI isn't in the picture (it appears to be in the bundle of six cables going up and to the right), I'll assume that it is relatively far away

You need to go with a completed version of your solution:
1. plug the PI into the DC passing port of the 8-way splitter (since the PI is performing double duty -- powering the switch and forwarding a signal).
2. Swap the PWR/SWM1 and SWM2 cables (since the PI must be on the PWR/SWM1 port).
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Plant Wood Electrical wiring

You cannot use the PWR port because you're expecting the PI to pass a satellite signal.

A P Smith suggests, it appears that either the HR54 isn't providing PI power or there's something wrong with the 4-way's DC power passing function.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,868 Posts
A diagram would be helpful.

Given the "future expansion" requirements, I'm guessing that a 2-way splitter will be required.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Because the PI isn't in the picture (it appears to be in the bundle of six cables going up and to the right), I'll assume that it is relatively far away

You need to go with a completed version of your solution:
1. plug the PI into the DC passing port of the 8-way splitter (since the PI is performing double duty -- powering the switch and forwarding a signal).
2. Swap the PWR/SWM1 and SWM2 cables (since the PI must be on the PWR/SWM1 port).
Thanks. That worked and everything is working other than not knowing why the HR54 doesn't power everything when the PI is unplugged. I mean I know it won't work now because that splitter is connected to the SWM2 port but it wasn't powering it when it was connected to the SWM1/PWR port. So either the built-in PI in the HR54 is dead or the power port on the SWM 4 way splitter is dead.

Might go the route that WestDC proposed and get rid of some cables and maybe get brand new splitter(s) too. Does the dish have to be re-aligned when you replace the LNB? I ask because I don't do dish alignment.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,868 Posts
So either the built-in PI in the HR54 is dead or the power port on the SWM 4 way splitter is dead.
You could perform some tests as P Smith suggested, but does it really matter?

While it is possible that the 4-way acted as a fuse and blew that connection, I'd suspicion that the HR54 isn't performing its PI function. I would point out that this will only be an issue if your PI fails and it is easier to stock a spare PI than a spare Genie.

Just replace the LNB --No need to re-align
Does the dish have to be re-aligned when you replace the LNB?
Answered before you asked.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You could perform some tests as P Smith suggested, but does it really matter?

While it is possible that the 4-way acted as a fuse and blew that connection, I'd suspicion that the HR54 isn't performing its PI function. I would point out that this will only be an issue if your PI fails and it is easier to stock a spare PI than a spare Genie.

Answered before you asked.
Thanks. Didn't catch that or the link the first time through.

·
Save the Clock Tower!!
2,221 Posts
Thanks. That worked and everything is working other than not knowing why the HR54 doesn't power everything when the PI is unplugged. I mean I know it won't work now because that splitter is connected to the SWM2 port but it wasn't powering it when it was connected to the SWM1/PWR port. So either the built-in PI in the HR54 is dead or the power port on the SWM 4 way splitter is dead.

Might go the route that WestDC proposed and get rid of some cables and maybe get brand new splitter(s) too. Does the dish have to be re-aligned when you replace the LNB? I ask because I don't do dish alignment.
The built in power inserters are meant to power a SWM LNB, not a SWM multiswitch.

"If you are using an external multiswitch, which can let you use your HR54 DVR along with many other receivers, you must power the multiswitch using the power inserter. It cannot be powered by the DVR itself."

1 - 20 of 32 Posts