DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,502 Posts
The DCPWR port is for power only. It is NOT an output. You need to move the PI cable up to the SWM1/PWR port if you're committed to hanging a receiver off of the PI.

26,502 Posts
Next question. The power port on the SWM 8 port splitter as shown here has nothing plugged into it.
This is why your HR54 isn't able to power the system. Any device that is intended act as the PI must be on the DC power pass line.
Will it work if I just move the PI cable into the power port of the SWM 8 port splitter?
Yes, but that's probably not the ideal way. If all of this stuff is in the same room, you can just move the cable that is currently connected to the "TO IRD" port of the PI to the SWM2 port of the switch and walk away. The ideal is to minimize the number of connections to get to the switch (insertion loss) and the PI puts its downstream gear two connections further away.

If the ultimate goal is to get rid of the SWM switch (ie. you want to use a SWM LNB), then you would want to move the PI to the DC power pass port as you surmised but that still leaves some equipment downstream of the PI which isn't optimal for satellite IF or MoCA.

26,502 Posts
Because the PI isn't in the picture (it appears to be in the bundle of six cables going up and to the right), I'll assume that it is relatively far away

You need to go with a completed version of your solution:
1. plug the PI into the DC passing port of the 8-way splitter (since the PI is performing double duty -- powering the switch and forwarding a signal).
2. Swap the PWR/SWM1 and SWM2 cables (since the PI must be on the PWR/SWM1 port).
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Plant Wood Electrical wiring

You cannot use the PWR port because you're expecting the PI to pass a satellite signal.

A P Smith suggests, it appears that either the HR54 isn't providing PI power or there's something wrong with the 4-way's DC power passing function.

26,502 Posts
I have a Suggestion --Replace your LNB with Swm LNB (one Down Lead) Supports 21 swm Channels +1 for the guide data--then remove the SWM-16 and connect a the Down lead to a swim 8 (single port) on top and the Hr54 to the Swm 8 (red port 1) then run on lead to each other receiver (ports 2-8) and get rid of all the useless wire.
A diagram would be helpful.

Given the "future expansion" requirements, I'm guessing that a 2-way splitter will be required.

26,502 Posts
So either the built-in PI in the HR54 is dead or the power port on the SWM 4 way splitter is dead.
You could perform some tests as P Smith suggested, but does it really matter?

While it is possible that the 4-way acted as a fuse and blew that connection, I'd suspicion that the HR54 isn't performing its PI function. I would point out that this will only be an issue if your PI fails and it is easier to stock a spare PI than a spare Genie.

Just replace the LNB --No need to re-align
Does the dish have to be re-aligned when you replace the LNB?
Answered before you asked.

26,502 Posts
I asked about adding another 4 so all 9 access points could be live even though I would only be using 7 at a time.
The ideal situation would be to just use an 8-way and re-connect cables as you move STBs around (unless this happens frequently). You may benefit from using HDMI extenders rather than having extra coax connection options and shuffling things around.

Having lots of free ports spreads the signals (both satellite IF and MoCA) kinda thin.

26,502 Posts
I might go with the disconnect one and use the other as necessary once I figure out what cables under the house go where. I know a couple of them but not the rest.
You can get a coaxial cable toner for under $20 that will allow you to do this easily. They have more sophisticated (and more expensive) toners that will allow you to map multiple cables.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts