DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,146 Posts
Well here is the mess. The HR54 does not power through the power port of the SWM 4 way splitter and the PI doesn't power through the power port of the SWM 8 way splitter. In this photo I have moved the PI cable back to the DC/PWR port.

View attachment 32483
I have a Suggestion --Replace your LNB with Swm LNB (one Down Lead) Supports 21 swm Channels +1 for the guide data--then remove the SWM-16 and connect a the Down lead to a swim 8 (single port) on top and the Hr54 to the Swm 8 (red port 1) then run on lead to each other receiver (ports 2-8) and get rid of all the useless wire.

Example below --Just replace the LNB --No need to re-align
DirecTV SWM3 LNB DSWM3 3D2LNBR0-02 NEW DSWM reverse band slimline dish 2 lot | eBay

· Registered
4,146 Posts
Also I have 9 locations but only 7 receivers but I would like to have all 9 working for when we move a TV to a different spot in 2 rooms. Can I just add a 4 way splitter connected to a port on the 8 way splitter so I can have all 9 locations active all of the time?
The one in my link is an RB - Since you only use 7 Receivers --Hook up the 7 Receivers --And when you wish to move a TV to another room --Remove the rg6 and replace it with the rg6 in the room you moved it 2.
Reminder -Cap all unused ports on the splitter --If you connect a RG6 to a ROOM that does not have a TV --Use a Cap + a Barrel connector in that room.

You can add another splitter if you choose Just to be sure to cap all unused ports at the unused room ends.
That way you have a closed system --and no TV drips on the floor :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
4,146 Posts
Yeah I somehow glossed over your link and the info that the dish doesn't have to be re-aligned again. Thanks for the info. The thing is I don't know which of all those wires go to which rooms and at my age I don't feel like going on an adventure exploring in the crawl space of the house. If I can manage to be home by myself at some point where no one else is watching tv I need to unplug one cable at a time and see what receiver it is controlling and label the cables so I know what cables go where. Probably wouldn't hurt to rep out every cable under there and put in all new ones but that is big job. DirecTV installers ran most cables on the outside of vinyl siding and plastic connectors are all weathers and starting to break and some cablews are hanging loose so if I do that I probably need to get the house resided. One small chore leads to several bigger ones. :(

So my wife wanted to re-arrange furniture in the bedroom so now I need to replace the LNB, rip out all old cables, put in new cables and get new siding on the house. :oops: And the garage because it needs to match the house!
Get one of these (type) tester --Attach a Color coded Coax adapter -to one rg6 in a room (disconnected from the receiver) -Then test the other mess of wires -One at a time till the color on the receiver lights up

The current cables are fine --Just check the end and if they look clean --leave them -if not just put new ends on

Tester-Southwire M500CX4 Coax Continuity Tester/Mapper, Durable Design, Auto Power-Off, Double-Molded Housing, Easy-to-Understand LED Display, Includes 4 Color-Coded ID Remotes - - Amazon.com

The cables you have running up the siding (from the Dish) Leave them- when you ID the ONE (of the four) you're going to use for New LNB-attach it to the top port of the swm8 (located at the swm16) --Do not remove the old wires --(you cannot see them from inside) LOL
I'm located in VA --if your close -I'd be glad to come by had help you at your convenience

1 - 3 of 3 Posts