DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Save the Clock Tower!!
2,222 Posts
Also I have 9 locations but only 7 receivers but I would like to have all 9 working for when we move a TV to a different spot in 2 rooms. Can I just add a 4 way splitter connected to a port on the 8 way splitter so I can have all 9 locations active all of the time?
You should really limit the number of splitters in your system. With your current splitters you have 12 ports, so why do you need to connect another splitter?

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Also I have 9 locations but only 7 receivers but I would like to have all 9 working for when we move a TV to a different spot in 2 rooms. Can I just add a 4 way splitter connected to a port on the 8 way splitter so I can have all 9 locations active all of the time?
The one in my link is an RB - Since you only use 7 Receivers --Hook up the 7 Receivers --And when you wish to move a TV to another room --Remove the rg6 and replace it with the rg6 in the room you moved it 2.
Reminder -Cap all unused ports on the splitter --If you connect a RG6 to a ROOM that does not have a TV --Use a Cap + a Barrel connector in that room.

You can add another splitter if you choose Just to be sure to cap all unused ports at the unused room ends.
That way you have a closed system --and no TV drips on the floor :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The built in power inserters are meant to power a SWM LNB, not a SWM multiswitch.

"If you are using an external multiswitch, which can let you use your HR54 DVR along with many other receivers, you must power the multiswitch using the power inserter. It cannot be powered by the DVR itself."
Thanks for info!

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
You should really limit the number of splitters in your system. With your current splitters you have 12 ports, so why do you need to connect another splitter?
I was asking that if I were to replace the LNB and remove the multiswitch. I would have 8 ports with the 8 way splitter plugged into the LNB, I asked about adding another 4 so all 9 access points could be live even though I would only be using 7 at a time.

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The one in my link is an RB - Since you only use 7 Receivers --Hook up the 7 Receivers --And when you wish to move a TV to another room --Remove the rg6 and replace it with the rg6 in the room you moved it 2.
Reminder -Cap all unused ports on the splitter --If you connect a RG6 to a ROOM that does not have a TV --Use a Cap + a Barrel connector in that room.

You can add another splitter if you choose Just to be sure to cap all unused ports at the unused room ends.
That way you have a closed system --and no TV drips on the floor :ROFLMAO:
Yeah I somehow glossed over your link and the info that the dish doesn't have to be re-aligned again. Thanks for the info. The thing is I don't know which of all those wires go to which rooms and at my age I don't feel like going on an adventure exploring in the crawl space of the house. If I can manage to be home by myself at some point where no one else is watching tv I need to unplug one cable at a time and see what receiver it is controlling and label the cables so I know what cables go where. Probably wouldn't hurt to rep out every cable under there and put in all new ones but that is big job. DirecTV installers ran most cables on the outside of vinyl siding and plastic connectors are all weathers and starting to break and some cablews are hanging loose so if I do that I probably need to get the house resided. One small chore leads to several bigger ones. :(

So my wife wanted to re-arrange furniture in the bedroom so now I need to replace the LNB, rip out all old cables, put in new cables and get new siding on the house. :oops: And the garage because it needs to match the house!

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Yeah I somehow glossed over your link and the info that the dish doesn't have to be re-aligned again. Thanks for the info. The thing is I don't know which of all those wires go to which rooms and at my age I don't feel like going on an adventure exploring in the crawl space of the house. If I can manage to be home by myself at some point where no one else is watching tv I need to unplug one cable at a time and see what receiver it is controlling and label the cables so I know what cables go where. Probably wouldn't hurt to rep out every cable under there and put in all new ones but that is big job. DirecTV installers ran most cables on the outside of vinyl siding and plastic connectors are all weathers and starting to break and some cablews are hanging loose so if I do that I probably need to get the house resided. One small chore leads to several bigger ones. :(

So my wife wanted to re-arrange furniture in the bedroom so now I need to replace the LNB, rip out all old cables, put in new cables and get new siding on the house. :oops: And the garage because it needs to match the house!
Get one of these (type) tester --Attach a Color coded Coax adapter -to one rg6 in a room (disconnected from the receiver) -Then test the other mess of wires -One at a time till the color on the receiver lights up

The current cables are fine --Just check the end and if they look clean --leave them -if not just put new ends on

Tester-Southwire M500CX4 Coax Continuity Tester/Mapper, Durable Design, Auto Power-Off, Double-Molded Housing, Easy-to-Understand LED Display, Includes 4 Color-Coded ID Remotes - - Amazon.com

The cables you have running up the siding (from the Dish) Leave them- when you ID the ONE (of the four) you're going to use for New LNB-attach it to the top port of the swm8 (located at the swm16) --Do not remove the old wires --(you cannot see them from inside) LOL
I'm located in VA --if your close -I'd be glad to come by had help you at your convenience

·
Save the Clock Tower!!
2,222 Posts
I was asking that if I were to replace the LNB and remove the multiswitch. I would have 8 ports with the 8 way splitter plugged into the LNB, I asked about adding another 4 so all 9 access points could be live even though I would only be using 7 at a time.
A 2-way would be better than a 4-way. It all depends on how long the cable runs are.

If you had a client in a fixed location, I'd recommend a NAS 9501 diplexer and the 8-way splitter.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,904 Posts
I asked about adding another 4 so all 9 access points could be live even though I would only be using 7 at a time.
The ideal situation would be to just use an 8-way and re-connect cables as you move STBs around (unless this happens frequently). You may benefit from using HDMI extenders rather than having extra coax connection options and shuffling things around.

Having lots of free ports spreads the signals (both satellite IF and MoCA) kinda thin.

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
As I mentioned previously when you said I should just use a longer cable to reach the other TV location...both rooms that have two connectors in them have them for a reason. They both have doorways in both directions from the connections opposite each other. I do not run cable either under a rug in the doorway or up over the doorway.

I might go with the disconnect one and use the other as necessary once I figure out what cables under the house go where. I know a couple of them but not the rest.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,904 Posts
I might go with the disconnect one and use the other as necessary once I figure out what cables under the house go where. I know a couple of them but not the rest.
You can get a coaxial cable toner for under $20 that will allow you to do this easily. They have more sophisticated (and more expensive) toners that will allow you to map multiple cables.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts