DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Icon
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This appeared on my HR24 this morning. I'm sorry I can't remember the exact error code. Here's what I did.

- Tried a soft reboot, as that was the only on-screen option available. No luck.

- Tried an RBR. No luck.

- Tried unplugging the unit for 30 minutes. No luck.

- I then forced a DL of the national release, but after it downloaded, same problem. I called and they sent another receiver today.

- I have a 1.5TB external hard drive that I've used in the past. The only other option I can think of is trying to connect it via esata. Might this work?

What if I were to swap the internal drive?

·
Super Moderator
14,044 Posts
It would be better if you knew what the error code was.

An external should work. Assuming you have an owned HR24 internal would be fine too.

If you get to the point where you see the "Running receiver self-check" message at initial start up you can hit the Select button to enter the BIST (Built in Self Test) menus. There are tests you can run on the hard drive that should give us some more info about what's wrong.

Mike

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
Bet it is code 14. This NR has been triggering a fair amount of those. It's dead.

·
Godfather
502 Posts
RobertE said:
Bet it is code 14. This NR has been triggering a fair amount of those. It's dead.
I think I got hit with that. My reliable hr20-100 went belly up last night after moving it across the room to a new location (actually a whole room reconfiguration) and it won't go out of self check. It says error 15-992 which I believe to be a non-recoverable hard drive fail. I think the 992 might point to the HD controller on the mainboard maybe? Either way, it died. Of course, timing being everything, that DVR had the full seasons of Boardwalk Empire, Shameless, and the current Game of Thrones plus other shows we keep an eye on. :nono2:

It's a pity that they can't make a DVR with swap out capable drives so that when one fails, justs swap out the drive for a new one and off you go. I know why they don't because of copyright, but still...:icon_lame

·
Icon
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, on Fri, 5/4 after finding out a tech wasn't available for 2+ weeks, I just had them send a replacement. 2-5 days...fine.

I called Monday evening to get a tracking #. After 20 minutes on hold, they said that no order was placed. I finally got the order placed. An HR24 arrived last Thursday. I connected a 1.5TB external drive, and it's hummin' along. Ironically, my ancient HR20-100 hasn't given me a single problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.