DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the threads, I have a couple of questions.

1. Installing and eSATA Drive

Power down the HR20, install the eSATA drive and power-up. The drive will be formatted and loaded. I have a lot of recorded programming on the factory installed drive. What happens when I power down and unplug the eSATA drive? Is it going to format my existing factory installed drive or keep it intact. That is the million dollar question.

2. If I elect to keep the eSATA drive connected and record programming to that drive, threads state that the recorded programming cannot be read. This is a true statement considering that the data is encrypted. However, being pretty experienced in the Linux world, I have a bootable Linux CD that can read eSATA drives. If I can find a utility to decrypt the data, then "Presto", I have a backup. Any recommended utilities. There is a lot out there.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
1) No, it will boot up with your original internal drive and everything that was there will still be there. It only formats if the file system on the drive doesn't match what the HR20 is looking for.

2) You won't get any help decrypting the drive contents, that's a no-no here. Best you could probably do is clone the entire drive with Norton Ghost or something if you wish to do some archiving.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PoitNarf,

Thanks for the quick response. As long as I know that switching back will keep my info intact, I'm OK with that. It's a bummer that you can't get your recorded content off the drive. You can record to DVD/VCR but until the $$ of a HD-DVD or Blue-Ray recorder is affordable, your pretty SOL. All HD will have to be recorded as SD :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.