DBSTalk Forum banner

What best describes your feelings about eSATA?

• I'm satisfied with the capacity of my DVR's internal drive.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm dissatisfied with the capacity of my DVR's internal drive and will add an eSATA.

Votes: 18 10.3%
  • I have one eSATA and one HRxx.

Votes: 46 26.4%
  • I have multiple HRxxs and multiple eSATAs.

Votes: 50 28.7%
  • I am concerned about losing my recordings if my HRxx fails and I can't use the eSATa.

Votes: 47 27.0%
  • I don't care if my HRxx fails and I can't access the recordings on the eSATA attached to it.

Votes: 70 40.2%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
I have about 50% of saved programs [on one DVR] that just "sit there" as I can't watch reruns of much of anything. It's just the way "I'm wired", a few sec into something, I remember the complete show and "tune out" quickly.
I don't buy DVDs, tapes, etc. for the same reason.

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rich584 said:
(Mod Edit)

Please take the above poll, thanks.

(/Mod Edit)
Thanx for the help Stuart, first time I tried this and, naturally, I screwed it up.

I do hope that this poll will make more people aware that if the HRxx that you have an eSATA hooked up to goes bad you will NOT be able to access your recordings.

In previous threads we reached the conclusion that the easiest way to solve this problem is to have D* first recognize and support the eSATA function and then allow ANY DVR to play ANY eSATA within an account.

Rich

· EOE
542 Posts
You're trying to ask too many questions.

1) I'm NOT satisfied with the capacity of my DVR's internal drive.

2) I'm dissatisfied with the capacity of my DVR's internal drive and have added an eSATA.

3) I have TWO HR20s, ONE has an eSATA

4) See #3

5) I AM concerned about losing my recordings if my HRxx fails and I can't use the eSATa.

6) I DO care if my HRxx fails and I can't access the recordings on the eSATA attached to it.

D* needs to allow the moving of eSATA drives from HRxx to HRxx.

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
veryoldschool said:
I have about 50% of saved programs [on one DVR] that just "sit there" as I can't watch reruns of much of anything. It's just the way "I'm wired", a few sec into something, I remember the complete show and "tune out" quickly.
I don't buy DVDs, tapes, etc. for the same reason.
I was just thinking, all the 20/21s I have, all with eSATAs, all hooked up to several sound systems and I watch reruns of Law and Order more than anything else. Fortunately, having partied thru the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s, my rememory is so bad that I can watch reruns just as if they were brand new.

Rich

· Hall Of Fame
1,914 Posts
The funny thing aboout e-SATA is I wouldn't need multiple e-SATA drives (1 for each HR20) if MRV was supported.

I wish the internal drive worked in tandem with the external drive. That is an unfortunate waste of hardware. They may as well sell them without internal drives and save themselves money to a customer who requests it. They should charge less upfront if you're going to "bring your own drive".

I remember getting losing the ability to play back my recordings months ago when my HR20-700 was replaced with an HR20-100, despite an in tact connected e-SATA drive. You shold definitely be able to connect to any unit on your account.

After messing around a little, I remember how surprised I was to find out that OTA recordings to play from an e-SATA drive even after you connect it to new DVR.

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
houskamp said:
Have a few with internal 500s which is plenty room for me.. I NEVER count on a harddrive for long term storage..
I don't either, Puddy Tat, but I sure wish I could. That would make the evolution of the 20/21s move along a lot easier.

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mikeny said:
They may as well sell them without internal drives and save themselves money to a customer who requests it.
Do we even know if it is possible to run a 20/21 with the internal drive removed or does it serve some purpose? I've never seen a post that stated that someone had even tried it.

Rich

· Hall Of Fame
8,882 Posts
1) I don't like losing access to what's already on the internal drive

2) I don't like powering a useless drive

3) I would add eSATA if I could move it from machine to machine on the same account.

4) I would add eSATA if we had MRV

And of course, features like moving recordings from internal to external (or vice-versa) would be nice.

I didn't vote because of the additional reasons.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
I answered that I am concerned about losing recordings if the HR2x fails and the eSATA can’t be transferred, but of course that’s no different than issues with the internal drive. Really, I am somewhat dissatisfied with the capacity of my DVR’s internal drive, but I’m not going to add eSATA because I don’t want another STB with another wall wart and more cabling. MRV would solve my needs for more capacity since I have 4 HR20’s which would be plenty of capacity among 8 tuners as long as they all didn’t need to record the same things!

· Registered
2,570 Posts
no answer for me here. My DVR's HDD could be bigger, but that doesn't mean esata is for me. The HR22 has a 500 gb HDD internal. If I don't have enough space on my HRxx than. I will go and buy (or lease) an HR22

· Registered
5,952 Posts
None of the choices actually fit my situation, but I get the "intent" of the poll. I have multiple HR2*'s, but only one of them has an eSATA (an HR20-700), and I love it. When I get around to it, I'll add an eSATA to the HR21-200.

I am concerned about loss of recordings if the box fails, of course, but not enough to not take advantage eSATA working as well as it does with my HR20-700. Hopefully, D* will allow an eSATA with program material on it to be used with any HD-DVR on one's account, at some point in the future. (which seems to be the "agenda" of the poll):)

8 Posts
rich584 said:
(Mod Edit)

Please take the above poll, thanks.

(/Mod Edit)
I just orderded a new esata FreeAgent Pro 1tb drive. my hr20-100 says sata on the connection in the back. Do I need a sata to esata cable or esata to esata cable? Thanks in advance...

· Hall Of Fame
1,764 Posts
Several H2X's with esata.

don;t care if I lose the esata, anything I want to keep for an extended length of time gets run to the DVD recorder that is on the system. Currently DVD recorders and blank dvd's are cheap. When I don;t want them anymore they get dropped in the shredder

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.