DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Legend
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I've got a Seagate 750 Gb drive installed in an Antec MX-1, ready to be installed on my DVR.

I've read the installation procedure, and I'm curious. If I have a power outage, will the esata drive have to be reinstalled (ie, power the DVR off, plug in the drive, etc), or when the power recycles, will it automatically work?

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
tgr131 said:
Greetings,

I've got a Seagate 750 Gb drive installed in an Antec MX-1, ready to be installed on my DVR.

I've read the installation procedure, and I'm curious. If I have a power outage, will the esata drive have to be reinstalled (ie, power the DVR off, plug in the drive, etc), or when the power recycles, will it automatically work?

Thanks,

David
You shouldn't have to unplug and reconnect every thing. Worst case you may have to reboot the DVR. Sometimes, if power is lost, the DVR will boot and not recognize the eSATA because it hasn't spun up yet and so it boots the internal drive.

·
MRVing
4,117 Posts
There is no substitute for a UPS!!

Besides keeping your recordings intact the UPS will also keep your DVR from rebooting when the power glitches.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
tgr131 said:
Yep, got the UPS, but if the power outage outlasts it, I wanted to understand the possible outcomes.

Thanks!

David
A couple different scenarios might occur. They might boot up and you will be on the eSATA. They might boot up and be on the internal drive.

If you are on the internal drive the best thing to do is unplug the power cord on the eSATA, unplug the power cord on the HR. Don't do anything to the eSATA to eSATA jumper cable.

Plug in the eSATA's power cord and place your hand on it. You will feel the HD ramp up. When it is running steadily (should take a few seconds), plug in the power cord of the HR. When the rebooting process is over you will be on the eSATA rather then the internal drive. Don't do the power cord plugins simultaneously. Take a minute or so between plugging in the power cord of the eSATA and the power cord of the HR. Make sure you plug in the HR last.

Rich

·
Hall Of Fame
3,862 Posts
tgr131 said:
Greetings,

Thanks,

David
Even for the initial installation, you don't have to power off the DVR unless you are having problems getting the DVR to recognize the external drive.

In most cases, to switch to an external drive, just plug it into the eSATA connector, power it up, and reboot the DVR.

From then on, to switch between the internal and external, just power the external off or on and reboot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.