DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mentor
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With college football and basketball behind us for the season, I wanted to gather the opinion of those that subscribe to the Sports Pack to see if it's worth the extra cash for the games provided through the ESPN College Extra channels. Did you find a lot of value in what was available, or are they games that I would have already had available through the WatchESPN/ESPN3 app, that I can stream to my television as part of my current subscription?

Thanks in advance for any insight that anyone can provide!

·
Legend
386 Posts
WatchESPN is the webstream of all ESPN owned networks and ESPN3. And ESPN College Extra is pretty much a PPV package that came to be when ESPN retired the GamePlan (college football PPV package) and Full Court (college basketball PPV package) PPV packages and merged the two together.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

·
AllStar
2,189 Posts
B. Shoe said:
With college football and basketball behind us for the season, I wanted to gather the opinion of those that subscribe to the Sports Pack to see if it's worth the extra cash for the games provided through the ESPN College Extra channels. Did you find a lot of value in what was available, or are they games that I would have already had available through the WatchESPN/ESPN3 app, that I can stream to my television as part of my current subscription?

Thanks in advance for any insight that anyone can provide!
Willh said:
WatchESPN is the webstream of all ESPN owned networks and ESPN3. And ESPN College Extra is pretty much a PPV package that came to be when ESPN retired the GamePlan (college football PPV package) and Full Court (college basketball PPV package) PPV packages and merged the two together.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk
No, not at all. ESPN College Extra is part of the Sports Pack (not separate subscriptions), is HD (not only SD), and it is simply the "ESPN3 on TV" content we were promised. I don't know the details, but it allows bars and business accounts access to online content they didn't have the rights to show publicly previously. And it's SOO much better than hooking up a TV to a computer.

There are also games that ESPN has the rights to on watchESPN/ESPN3 that they don't on TV. Look at the ACC Network for example. Same with ACC games on Fox RSNs.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
It doesn't include everything ESPN3 does. It is just a renaming of the old football and basketball packages that were once worthwhile but IMHO became worth far less than the price they are charging due to the rise of conference networks. It isn't a solution to the "ESPN3 on TV" problem at all.

·
AllStar
2,189 Posts
slice1900 said:
It doesn't include everything ESPN3 does. It is just a renaming of the old football and basketball packages that were once worthwhile but IMHO became worth far less than the price they are charging due to the rise of conference networks. It isn't a solution to the "ESPN3 on TV" problem at all.
I am well aware of that. The old packages were SD and not included with the Sports Pack. The new one is. Before the announcement, we didn't have access to the ESPN3 programming on TV without paying more. Now, we do, and it's part of the Sports pack. If you can't see that it is the ESPN3 on TV, then, I don't know what to tell you...

·
AllStar
357 Posts
In my opinion the extra ESPN channels were not worth it by themselves, but they provide extra value for the sports pack itself.

I subscribe to the sports pack anyway, as I really enjoy the regional pre game shows for NHL games that are part of Center Ice. I also really enjoy some of the high school football games as well as some of the other weird sports programming like air racing and the like. I enjoyed the ESPN channels during football season, and I found that a lot of the Div II games in particular were quite entertaining.

But I certainly wouldn't consider paying for the sports pack just for the ESPN channels.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

·
Mentor
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, everyone! I appreciate your thoughts on everything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.