DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Godfather
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what games from Gameplan are in HD? The Raycom games for the SEC and ACC certainly weren't today. They look horrendous. I thought Raycom was all HD this year? Is D* not carrying the HD feed?

I hope this is fixed by next weekend.

·
Up The Irons!
5,775 Posts
ESPN Gameplan is NOT HD. It never has been and I don't expect it to be ever and with the SEC contract with Raycrap ending after this season it won't matter much anymore anyway. This just isn't a D* thing, HD feeds in Gameplan have never been made available.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,224 Posts
DCSholtis said:
ESPN Gameplan is NOT HD. It never has been and I don't expect it to be ever and with the SEC contract with Raycrap ending after this season it won't matter much anymore anyway. This just isn't a D* thing, HD feeds in Gameplan have never been made available.
Here's a question though, is that D*'s fault or ESPN's? If D* can make HD games for everything else available except ESPN's products, one would have to think it might be ESPN's fault.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
Probably most of the games picked up by Game Plan are not produced in HD anyway. Last weeks Gator/Hawaii game was a Raycom broadcast in HD and a local independent station picked it up and aired it in HD. I believe GamePlan had it around the rest of the country in SD.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,572 Posts
That's one of the reason's I decided not to order ESPN Gameplan this year. The games are not in HD. I'll just watch the games on ESPN, ESPN2, ABC, Big 10 Network, and CBS. ESPN Gameplan is just not worth it to me anymore when I have all those choices on the other networks. ESPN's continuous scores at the bottom of the screen along with ABC's keep me updated on all the games anyway. ESPN Gameplan just isn't worth the extra $100 on my DirecTv bill.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,322 Posts
Being Im from Alabama and now live in Va, GP is great for me. I tried the Sports Pack, but its offering sucks.

With GP, Im able to watch Auburn, Alabama and FSU today when I would have not otherwise. Well worth $120 for the season if you dont live near your teams and would like to see as many games as possible.

Id rather have them in SD than watch a ticker.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
elwaylite said:
Id rather have them in SD than watch a ticker.
Me, too. But it does rankle when the games that are available in HD are not shown that way in Gameplan. Especially given the awful quality of the overcompressed SD games.

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
davring said:
Probably most of the games picked up by Game Plan are not produced in HD anyway. Last weeks Gator/Hawaii game was a Raycom broadcast in HD and a local independent station picked it up and aired it in HD. I believe GamePlan had it around the rest of the country in SD.
I wouldn't say that's true. A lot of times you get games on Gameplan that are the big games of the day that are regional. For example, I'm an Oklahoma fan, but I live in NC, so nearly every time they are playing regionally, I get something else from the east coast.

Gameplan overall is a very unimpressive service. There aren't many games, they aren't in HD, but hey, the price isn't terrible. Hell, I paid $30 last week for the Oklahoma game on PPV. $100 to see them a few more times when I wouldn't have been able to, and to get a bunch of other games, isn't too bad of a deal to me. I would like to see an upgrade on it someday. Hopefully more games and HD. There are a lot of packages that include a LOT more games, and HD, for not much more expensive.

But yeah, complain to ESPN. DirecTV doesn't have any control over the content. If enough people complain maybe they will look at upgrading the program soon. I think the popularity of HD will get people asking ESPN more why they aren't getting HD, especially when DirecTV sends HD for other packages.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
The NFL is in HD because every game is produced in HD by one of the major networks, ESPN buys whatever locally produced (SD) college games they can to complete their Game Plan package.

·
4 Posts
bwaldron said:
Me, too. But it does rankle when the games that are available in HD are not shown that way in Gameplan. Especially given the awful quality of the overcompressed SD games.
I wish I would have paid more attention prior to the season start, as D* insists there's no way to cancel a sport package for a pro-rated refund. I haven't seen the need to do so any time before this---and I've been online since '96.

It does aggravate me to no end that I can see highlights in HD on ESPN, but the GamePlan games are only in SD. That happened today with GT @ BC and So. Miss @ Auburn. If ESPN has highlights in HD, then wouldn't it be a D* limitation, and not an ESPN problem? That's how I'm viewing it.

Now, for Central Mich. @ Georgia, I see that it's broadcast in HD on FSSHD and SunHD (646 & 653), but in crappy SD on GamePlan.

As usual, the c/s staff were less than helpful or informed. I just hope there's a REALLY interesting game yet in the season that is worth watching in SD.

ugh.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,224 Posts
elwaylite said:
How long has NFL SF been all hd? Not that long I dont think.

It also depends on subs, there may not be enough people to justify it. ESPN's HD quality hasnt been that great lately anyways.

Speaking of price, I still cant get over how much people pay for the NFL package.
I believe 2005, before that there were 2 or three years when there were 4 games avalable in HD. The point I (and others are making) is Directv CAN show the games in HD NOW, it's ESPN dragging their feet. Yes, obviously if a game is not produced in HD, they can't manufacture it into High Def; but the regional ABC games are in HD I believe, so are Raycom or whatever they are called also. At the very least, they could make those available to subs and it would be more than they are offering in HD now.

·
Up The Irons!
5,775 Posts
Teutonaddict said:
I wish I would have paid more attention prior to the season start, as D* insists there's no way to cancel a sport package for a pro-rated refund. I haven't seen the need to do so any time before this---and I've been online since '96.

It does aggravate me to no end that I can see highlights in HD on ESPN, but the GamePlan games are only in SD. That happened today with GT @ BC and So. Miss @ Auburn. If ESPN has highlights in HD, then wouldn't it be a D* limitation, and not an ESPN problem? That's how I'm viewing it.

Now, for Central Mich. @ Georgia, I see that it's broadcast in HD on FSSHD and SunHD (646 & 653), but in crappy SD on GamePlan.

As usual, the c/s staff were less than helpful or informed. I just hope there's a REALLY interesting game yet in the season that is worth watching in SD.

ugh.
No, again its an ESPN Gameplan issue/limitation not D*. If it were a D* limitation I guarantee you that you'd see E* and cable advertise the hell out of it that they were the only carriers to have GP in HD while D* did not.

·
Godfather
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, answer me this question.. who is responsible for the terrible picture quality? Is D* compressing it to all hell, is it ESPN, or both? Something needs to be done. We can "live" with SD, but not the blurry crap that's on there now.

·
Up The Irons!
5,775 Posts
Now that's the magical question.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,042 Posts
zimm7778 said:
Here's a question though, is that D*'s fault or ESPN's? If D* can make HD games for everything else available except ESPN's products, one would have to think it might be ESPN's fault.
ESPN will not provide any of the games in HD currently as part of Game Plan

·
AllStar
62 Posts
DCSholtis said:
Actually, I believe the new SEC agreement will make it more likely that ESPN will make GamePlan available in HD. The new agreement peels off 13 games for ESPNU, but there will also be at least one game available each week via ESPN+/GamePlan. I am guessing that the SEC would have used its leverage to negotiate making these games available in HD.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.