DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Icon
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im starting this thread because some of the other forums i saw on this topic are old or outdated, was wondering if anyone could help me with the following questions for current day inquiry...with a telephone line and the ethernet connection.

Is a phone line still needed to pull down guide data? Can the ethernet pull down guide data? Now that the ethernet has side apps. Some of the older posts show their age in which the right direction button didnt used to pull side applications as it didnt exist :)

2nd question

for PPV's can your ethernet connection sub for a phone line, since it was always imperative that a phone line be plugged in for PPV orderings. Can the ethernet port relay info so you can order PPV's or is the phone line the only way to go here ?

thank you:)

·
Icon
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Go Beavs said:
The guide data doesn't come from a phone line, it comes from the SAT feed. It's always been that way. So, you don't need a phone line (or ethernet) to get guide data.

The box will report PPV purchases over the internet, so the only reason to have both ethernet (with internet) and a phone line is to get Caller ID on your TV.
This is great news!! I had my phone line split and ran a long cord for the phone line to the box..but my PC is closer to D*'s reciever so an ethernet cable is easier for me to do.. This weekend i will re-coil that moster phone line I had hooked up to it and retire it!! thanks!!

·
Icon
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cabletech said:
WAIT WAIT WAIT It sounds like you are now asking about connecting a DISHNET system. Is this correct?

DTV does not need a phone line EXCEPT for caller ID. Depending on how you set the system up, you can do every thing EXCEPT caller ID thru the internet.

AS far as DISHNET, I belive that they due require a phone line and NO internet ablity.
yeah my title and grouping within the boards is clearly for D* not E*

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.