DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Mentor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum but certainly not new to TiVo as I wrote the DirecTV HR10-250 FAQ over at TiVoCommunity (tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=151443).

Can anyone suggest some up-to-date threads that would give me an impression of the HR20 vs. TiVo? I see they have released a series of updates, making any Overview or Comparison thread which has not recently been updated rather obsolete. Should I start by reading the R15 topics?

I was surprised to see that the HR20 is only $299 and it is now quite tempting. I would attempt to get OTA locals and only failing that would I switch to the MPEG-4/Spaceway HD locals.

TiVo Series 3 and switching to cable would certainly be the most expensive option.

Adding an ATSC card to my home theater PC would be the cheapest option.

If the HR20 is bearable and gives me 95% of the TiVo functionality without a lot of bugs and annoyances, I might be tempted.

·
AllStar
77 Posts
I'm not touching this one.......lol

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Feldon...

Welcome to DBSTalk...
To anyone out there.... Listen to this guy when it comes to different aspects of DirecTV, how to set it up, what the TiVo does, ect.....
Feldon's Multiswitch diagrams taught most of us "old-timers" how it all worked.

He might be new to the HR20, but he is not new to the game....

Here is one of the most recent comparison threads;
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=71834&highlight=HR10-250

Some things to note.

OTA is now starting to role out, it is not every where yet, but it is available in some places.

Three biggest features not in the HR20 (compared to TiVo)

Dual Live Buffers (no toggle between tuners)
Moderate to advanced Wishlist functions.
Suggestions

Past those three, you can do just about everything else.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
feldon30 said:
I am new to this forum but certainly not new to TiVo as I wrote the DirecTV HR10-250 FAQ over at TiVoCommunity (tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=151443).

Can anyone suggest some up-to-date threads that would give me an impression of the HR20 vs. TiVo? I see they have released a series of updates, making any Overview or Comparison thread which has not recently been updated rather obsolete. Should I start by reading the R15 topics?

I was surprised to see that the HR20 is only $299 and it is now quite tempting. I would attempt to get OTA locals and only failing that would I switch to the MPEG-4/Spaceway HD locals.

TiVo Series 3 and switching to cable would certainly be the most expensive option.

Adding an ATSC card to my home theater PC would be the cheapest option.

If the HR20 is bearable and gives me 95% of the TiVo functionality without a lot of bugs and annoyances, I might be tempted.
I'll touch, but only via RF remote control...;)

But first, welcome to the forums! :welcome_s

Likely one of the best is the Unofficial Tips and Tricks guide and the accompanying HR10 to HR20 survival Guide found in this post.

Another thread of comparison (with S3).

Otherwise its sprinkled everywhere throughout these threads.

Note: the $299 is almost always a lease price. You will not own the box, Directv does. Monthly fees are the same as the HR10.

The HR20 has the promise to be a great box and for some people its solid. For others, the HR20 has had more problems than we'd like to see. Several of us, especially in the earlier software releases claimed that we were beta testers (or alpha testers) given the number of problems we experienced. You may be a lucky one or a beta tester with us. Can't tell until you try, alas.

My standing recommendation is to jump on the HR20 when you get the deal you like. Many HR10 owners and other longstanding Directv customers have arranged very favorable deals (like free or minimal shipping charge.) Others are now reporting that free is very hard to get these days. YMMV

Good luck,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
And also note.... Based on your DirecTV history, you may be able to get it for a lot less then $299

·
Legend
206 Posts
Welcome Feldon30:

:hi:

Your insight would be greatly appreciated into the improvements that D* can put in to this box. I am coming off of a D* Tivo Gen one box and this box- frankly- still does not compare but is slowly becoming passable.

You may want to check out the following threads:

OTA
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=71767

HR-20 Wishlist Thread
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=68183

and
Milomindbenders most recent tips and tricks guide - its 6 pages in PDF format of what the HR20 will (AND STILL NEVER WILL) do.
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=72648

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
feldon30 said:
Can anyone suggest some up-to-date threads that would give me an impression of the HR20 vs. TiVo?
Welcome Feldon! I just today updated the New HR20 Tip & Tricks! Now with OTA Setup & Use. It is a compilation of the past several thousand HR20 posts that offered ideas. The TiVo to HR20 Survival Guide is up to date as should be the other links. I would be interested in hearing what you think. Nice to meet you, Craig

·
11 Posts
I'd like to weigh in on this as a new user to DVRs. I used a Tivo for the first time two months ago at a coworkers house and just purchased the HR20 this week for myself.

Having been exposed to both both for a short amount of time I really can't tell any distinct differences. In general they both seem to do the same thing. I know that the HR20 may not have some advanced options but I actually prefer the HR20s interface much more. Maybe it's because I was using the DirecTV HD receiver previously. I'm not sure there is a need for Tivo with DirecTV now that this is out. What do others think ?

There is one feature that I think Tivo's have that would be ideal for this. I like how you can go to an online programming guide and set up a recording via the web. Is that possible with the HR20 ?

·
AllStar
57 Posts
Datoupee said:
There is one feature that I think Tivo's have that would be ideal for this. I like how you can go to an online programming guide and set up a recording via the web. Is that possible with the HR20 ?
Currently this is not possible on the HR20.

If I recall, it is not possible on any DTiVo either, only on cable S2 and S3.

It is a feature many beg for.

It is on the HR20 Wishlist

HR20 Wishlist Survey

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
DirecTV has said that the ability to schedule a recording via the web is coming next year. It's supposedly already being tested.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
459 Posts
Datoupee said:
I'm not sure there is a need for Tivo with DirecTV now that this is out. What do others think ?
I've been a TiVo user since the very first standalone unit. Suffice it to say, I'm sort of biased towards the TiVo interface. :D That said, I also have an HR20, and although (to me) it's not as elegant as TiVo, for the most part, it gets the job done. Kind of like comparing an iPod to other MP3 players -- the iPod sets the standard. Of course, there will always be those who disagree -- heck, some people prefer a command-line interface to a GUI -- so really, one size does not fit all.

I can live with the HR20 as long as it does what it is supposed to do -- namely, record things that I ask for. If it misses them, I get mad. That was a real problem up until a month or so, but it hasn't missed a recording since. I know others are still having that problem (as well as a host of others).

Anyway, I still have two HR10 TiVos, but have been contemplating selling one and replacing it with another HR20. I figure I can at least break even and maybe even make a profit depending on what the market will bear if/when I decide sell it.

To answer your question though, if DirecTV came out with an MPEG-4 capable DVR that was TiVo based, I'd lap that up in a minute. For me, that would be the best of all worlds.

·
Mentor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome, folks!

I will read all the threads you have pointed me to.

For old time's sake I'll have to take one of my old diagrams and update it for 5 LNBs. It will probably look like a Christmas tree. :)

http://feldoncentral.com/TiVo/direcTVmultiswitchHDTiVo3dishes.gif

Believe it or not, I don't have a real HDTV at the moment. I watch a lot of DVDs on an LCD projector in my home theater and would love to start recording Heroes, Law & Order, etc. in HD. I intend to replace my projector with a more modern, cooler (heat-wise), DLP projector with a resolution sufficient to showcase HD recording.

I have been waiting to see what shakes out in the DVR world before making any kind of investment. If there had been a series 3 TiVo for DTV, I would have switched to that by now. Before I saw the $299 pricetag on the HR20, I'd been considering going to the dark side. :)

So I will read what you guys have posted and maybe jump on board with the HR20. What is the return policy if I find it's not mature enough for my needs?

I don't make much use of Wishlists or Suggestions or dual live buffers, so it will come down to the spit-and-polish of the unit and hopefully a bug-free experience. I've rejected software before for its poor user interface so we'll see how big a deal that is.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
I was one of those people that was ready to drop D* when the word came that TiVo was out of the picture. Feldon, I love my HR20. I really do. I'm still waiting for the dual buffers (big football fan) but otherwise I've really enjoyed it. I'm looking at taking my HR20 out of development and rolling it out onto my other three televisions sometime after Christmas when the bank account can support it.

·
9 Posts
Im also looking into the HR20. The Dual buffers issue: Does that mean you can not go back and forth between tuners. Like pausing one show, switching tuners to watch another show then go back to your paused show? I do this daily!

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
unk said:
Im also looking into the HR20. The Dual buffers issue: Does that mean you can not go back and forth between tuners. Like pausing one show, switching tuners to watch another show then go back to your paused show? I do this daily!
That is exactly what it means.

·
Mentor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There's a big poll about it. Looks like the #1 feature request at this point based on what I've seen so far.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
unk said:
The tips link link tells how to simulate dual buffers. You need the new version at this link not the old version that is still posted. It works great for how I use my HR20 but not for others.

The wishlist survey thread (link below) will help you see a number of features people are asking for.

- Craig

·
Mentor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can I buy (lease) the HR20 from DirecTV/Best Buy/whomever and if I don't like it, send it back without penalty? Or does the leasing system make that impossible?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,670 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Three biggest features not in the HR20 (compared to TiVo)

Dual Live Buffers (no toggle between tuners)
Moderate to advanced Wishlist functions.
Suggestions

Past those three, you can do just about everything else.
You left out the ability to record and playback tv shows (TiVo - Yes, HR20 - Sometimes).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.