DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Godfather
311 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
OTA is now starting to role out, it is not every where yet, but it is available in some places.
Is there a webpage or single source that is updated with who OTA has been rolled out to (without having to read through a 20 page thread to search for the info)?

·
Mentor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
islesfan said:
You left out the ability to record and playback tv shows (TiVo - Yes, HR20 - Sometimes).
I'm taking full note of all the problems that you and others have had. Basically, I am going to record everything I want to watch on my two DTiVos (4 tuners, baby!) and then also set some shows to record on the HR20. If the HR20 decides to record a show completely and play it back properly, I'll be overjoyed, but I won't count on it to record anything. It will be in the home theater while the DTiVos will stay in the living room.

My big question is can I get the $299 (or less) back if I find it's a total turkey, the interface is just too user hostile for me, or it breaks? I guess since DirecTV is now leasing these boxes, we don't have to pay for them to be repaired and it's in THEIR best interest for us to have a functioning box? Or am I misreading the situation? If an HR20 breaks, who pays to fix it?

·
Mentor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
MikeekiM said:
Is there a webpage or single source that is updated with who OTA has been rolled out to (without having to read through a 20 page thread to search for the info)?
There's been a flurry of thread closings. I'm not sure if there's one "Got it -- Don't got it" thread for OTA.

·
Mentor
49 Posts
I have started looking into the new DirecTV DVRs. I've been using a DirecTiVo since the Series 1 Hughes and now using a Series 2. I love the TiVo interface and I like having the ability to modify it to my liking.

One of my main issues is being able to bypass the daily call, I do not have a phone line, so I don't know if the HR20 will ***** about not being able to make a daily call or if it's necessary (for the DVR side, the DirecTV side I already know doesn't care). Anyone know?

I'm also not too happy about paying $299 for a box, although it's a good price considering how much an HR10 is going for on eBay. I know that the HR20 is in high demand and it's a little hard to come by, so I went online to directv and found I could get an HD receiver for free, so I ordered it Wed night and yesterday evening it was already there (I was really surprised). I could not activate it though because I called in kinda late and their system was down for "maintenance" WTF. I'm thinking now that I might have blown my discount by getting this HD receiver when I could have maybe gotten the HR20 for maybe $200 instead of $299 (since the HD receiver is sold at $99). Anyone know if that would have been the case? Can I return the HD receiver I got and exchange it for an HR20?

The priority registration page on DirecTV.com says:
•New customers who leased an HD receiver or DIRECTV Plus DVR during this priority registration period may exchange that receiver for a DIRECTV Plus HD DVR for only $200.

I wonder if I could get the "new customer" deal too. I'll have to call up and check.

I will also read up on all the suggested threads to compare the DirecTiVo to the HR20.

·
Mentor
49 Posts
I took the plunge and bought an HR20 from Circuit City. I got it yesterday and installed it. Lucky me 10B was out on the stream so I forced the download and after several retries it started downloading (the DVR came with the oldest version on it 0xBE I think). I had to switch back to IR on the remote and use component (maybe I was just not punching in the numbers at the right time).

Anyway. The first minutes of usage were with the old version and I thought the unit was slow. The upgrade came and I didn't notice much of a speed improvement. Guide browsing is slow, jumping to different pages on the remote code list is slow! Now, it is possible that the DVR is still indexing or doing something part of the first few days after initial power up (DirecTivos would be sluggish for the first few days while they indexed data) so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now.

I only have one tuner right now and no OTA antenna hooked up yet. I was watching Identity and was trying to program the remote for my AV equipment in the meantime. I wasn't recording it. I punched in the codes and screwed up and hadn't moved the switch to AV1 so the DVR changed the channel. I lost the buffer (I had paused the show earlier) so I missed a couple of minutes. Tuned back to the channel and started recording to avoid that. I left the show paused, got some dinner and came back to watch the rest of it.

First run of commercials show up. Oh wow. I was really disappointed with the 30 second slip. I had read on the survival guides that instead of the screen "going blank" you get 30 second FF in 1.5 seconds. In the guide it was worded like an awesome feature. Not really. Why would I want to watch 1.5 seconds of commercials?? This has probably been complained about before (I never read about it though) but I like TiVo's way a lot better! 5 30 second skips and I'm there, if I over jumped I just hit replay a couple of times and I had that jump method down real well. 2 to 3 seconds on a TiVo to jump to the show again takes 10 to 15 on the HR20. Horrible.

Other than that I like being able to set a Season pass with just pressing the record button twice. I like being able to see the video while in the menus or at least hearing the show (video window is too small anyway).

Boot up time is not any faster than a TiVo but on the HR20 you can't jump to your video list while it acquires satellite data and you can't start playing anything. Which means you probably can't watch anything if you don't have it hooked up to a dish?? I'd have to try that out, maybe it times out.

The Now Playing list equivalent seems simple but efficient. I think I will miss some of the sorting options on the TiVo, unless this one has them and I haven't seen them yet. Folders were nice.

The space blue leds on the front are annoying, I'll work on disabling those later on.

The fast forward and rewind will take some time to getting used to. I rarely ever used them on a TiVo for commercial skipping, 30 second skip was my only friend. I'll have to get adjusted to the way this one works.

I think in conclusion I can say that this is not that bad. Being able to record in HD without having to pay a lot of money for a device that will stop working once the mpeg2 streams are shut down is a plus. Being spoiled by TiVo will make the transition a little harder but it can be done.

·
Icon
1,958 Posts
I've fooled around with my HR20 for a few days now, and I've made some comparisons with my S2 Tivo Units I've had for awhile:

Interface - The Tivo interface is just a lot more intuiative and so much less busy than the HR20. It will take a bit of getting used to having to pull up the Menus all the time to do stuff. Tivo used a lot of the arrow keys to move around. Not so much with HR20. Maybe it's because I'm used to TiVo, but I'm having a hard time finding what I want to do.

Usability - Pros:
Miniguide - much like the old Hughes D* receivers, there's a miniguide which you can bring up with the BLUE button which you can move from channel to channel without pulling up the whole guide. You can also move ahead in time. Love this feature.
Respone time - seems a bit quicker than on the Tivos
Active TV features - Bring up weather and some other useful info with the touch of a button. Can also be used for Interactive YES for those in the NYC DMA
Mini TV window in Guide/Menus - Nice to be able to keep an eye on the TV while doing maintanence work. You can change the channel as well in the mini TV window.

Cons:
Dual Buffers - as discussed before in the thread. Inactive right now, there's a work around, but it's clumsy sounding. I haven't yet tried it
Season Pass/Series Link - Doesn't work as advertised. When setting up "first run" shows, it STILL records reruns, at least this seems to happen if you set up your Series Link based on a rerun episode (common if seeting up SL during Xmas time). When deleting the rerun from the ToDo list it DELETES the whole Series Link. To me, THIS is a MAJOR flaw. It almost cost me recording some shows until I double checked my SL and ToDo lists to see what I had.
30 Second slip - Definitely NOT as good as the Tivo 30 second skip, but I can see this as a compromise to advertisers who are complaining about their commercials being skipped over. I can live with this and you can nest the skip so you can do 5 at a shot.
Remote: I cannot seem to program the remote to turn off JUST the TV without switching it to TV on the slider. On the D* setting on the slider, it turns off BOTH the TV and the HR20. A minor annoyance.

Extras:
I think this is where the HR20 does better than the D* Tivos. Ethernet enabled on the last update to allow for some networking features. I haven't used it, but it's there. And it looks like there are some plans for internet programming and some other things.

My wishlist would include:
Fixing Bugs, obviously
PIP - The E* boxes have this, why not the HR20?
Dual Buffers
Internet programming
Slingbox like features

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Steveknj said:
Season Pass/Series Link - Doesn't work as advertised. When setting up "first run" shows, it STILL records reruns, at least this seems to happen if you set up your Series Link based on a rerun episode (common if seeting up SL during Xmas time). When deleting the rerun from the ToDo list it DELETES the whole Series Link. To me, THIS is a MAJOR flaw. It almost cost me recording some shows until I double checked my SL and ToDo lists to see what I had.

What the HR20 does, is that it schedules that "first" show that you set the Series Link to... thinking you wanted that one for a reason.
The rest of them will be scheduled according to your Series Link settings.

As for removing the program from the MyPlaylist... it should NOT be removing it from your prioritizer list.. I remove programs all the time from the MyPlaylist, and it does not remove the entry from the prioritizer.

It is "possible" what you have seen, is that you had two programs in a group.
When you deleted the "newest" one, and there is only one entry left... .it takes it out of "Group" mode, and places it back down in your MyPlaylist to it's chronologial order.

·
Legend
187 Posts
Hi Fenton,

We are still new to this forum, came here when we received our HR20 and needed more info than was available on the D* website :) We love the HR20 as opposed to our Tivo HR10. Our first receiver was Ultimate TV and we liked that interface and features. With the HR20 we can:

1) See in the guide that a show is scheduled to be recorded with a the 'R' clearly showing.
2) We can skip ahead 30 seconds, like that interval better than the skip interval in TIVO.
3) We like the Caller ID which we didn't have with the HR10-250
4) Setting a show to record is practically instantaneous, our HR10-250 hijacked the system with a 'Please Wait' message for minutes sometimes.

We have only had the HR20 since last Saturday (12/16) and have had no issues with lost recordings. The software upgrade last night gave us back the HD OTA channels which we really appreciate.

We were never TIVO advocates, it was the interface we had to use after the support for our Ultimate TV receivers ceased SO we were pleasantly surprised to see those features show up in the HR20.

·
Icon
1,958 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
What the HR20 does, is that it schedules that "first" show that you set the Series Link to... thinking you wanted that one for a reason.
The rest of them will be scheduled according to your Series Link settings.

As for removing the program from the MyPlaylist... it should NOT be removing it from your prioritizer list.. I remove programs all the time from the MyPlaylist, and it does not remove the entry from the prioritizer.

It is "possible" what you have seen, is that you had two programs in a group.
When you deleted the "newest" one, and there is only one entry left... .it takes it out of "Group" mode, and places it back down in your MyPlaylist to it's chronologial order.
No, I have seen exactly what I described, I deleted the repeat show out of the scheduler and when I went back to check the Prioritizer, the SL had been deleted. That was not my intent. I just wanted to remove all Repeats from my ToDo list. Especially with recording in HD causing such limited space on the hard drive, I do not want to record what I don't need. Recording repeats when requesting first run shows is a serious flaw, especially when you have set up 15-20 shows. That' almost a full hard drive's worth of shows right there.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Steveknj said:
No, I have seen exactly what I described, I deleted the repeat show out of the scheduler and when I went back to check the Prioritizer, the SL had been deleted. That was not my intent. I just wanted to remove all Repeats from my ToDo list. Especially with recording in HD causing such limited space on the hard drive, I do not want to record what I don't need. Recording repeats when requesting first run shows is a serious flaw, especially when you have set up 15-20 shows. That' almost a full hard drive's worth of shows right there.
I would have to say that is a spot issue with the unit for some reason.

As in the 4 month the unit has been out, and we have been in this forum.

This is the first I have heard of that particular combination of events.
And you can bet, if it was a widespread problem with the unit, you would have seen "headline" type threads on it.

As well as the first run/repeat. The HR20 is pretty darn good at determining first run/repeat, but it is very dependent on guide data.... There are a few shows out there, that cause it fits (Daily Show for example), but in general...

What is one of the HD shows that you are having an issue with.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Steveknj said:
Now re-reading this...

You deleted it from the "scheduler"? ....
There are two pieces to the scheduler...

The To-Do list and the prioritizer...
If you "deleted" it from the to-do list, then it is possible you then cancled your Series Link, instead of just the specific episode...

That is different then deleting the "repeat", which the way I intrepreted your first post, as that it has recorded the repeat, and you deleted it from My Playlist.

I would double check your Series Link settings, as the "default" is to record both (first run and repeats).

I have nearly 50 SL's between my two HR20's, and I only get a spot record of a repeat (maybe like 2 in the last month)... for those that are set to be first run only...

·
Godfather
304 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Now re-reading this...

If you "deleted" it from the to-do list, then it is possible you then cancled your Series Link, instead of just the specific episode...

That is different then deleting the "repeat", which the way I intrepreted your first post, as that it has recorded the repeat, and you deleted it from My Playlist.

I would double check your Series Link settings, as the "default" is to record both (first run and repeats).

I have nearly 50 SL's between my two HR20's, and I only get a spot record of a repeat (maybe like 2 in the last month)... for those that are set to be first run only...
To clarify, can I simply delete an epsiode from a series link from the to do list in the hr20 without deleting the whole series link? I can say I certainly should be able to do that.

·
Icon
1,958 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Now re-reading this...

Earl, as always, thanks for your help with this and any other issues. It's guys like you that make even the most frustrating experiences bearable.

That said, let me take a moment to go through exactly what I did (at least from memory as I am not in front of my TV).

Setting up SL:
1) Did a search for the show I wanted to record. For example, How I Met Your Mother (HIMYM)
2) When if found the show (on multiple channels, two HD channels, and 2 SD channels I believe) I selected the NY HD channel I receive.
3) Once I selected that, I chose the record all episodes from the menu choices, then went and edited the record choices to choose "first run" and "when I delete" or whatever the exact wording is for those choices. Then chose DONE. This saved the SL and the show had the two Rs next to it.

Removing repeat show:
1) Went to the ToDo list, saw that the repeat of the show I setup the SL for is being recorded.
2) Selected remove episode (or whatever the equivilant verbiage is) and clicked done. The episode is removed from my ToDo list.
3) A couple of days later, as I went to add more SLs, I looked at the "Prioritizer", and I noticed that shows I had marked off on my checklist have been removed from the Prioritizer (I had a handwritten checklist of shows I had on the previous TiVo DVR to port over to the HR20, and I had checked off each one as I set it so I wouldn't forget to set these up).
4) I went and readded them based on Search (and of course the repeats were back in my ToDo list.

A few things MAY have happened to cause this. One is that I originally began to setup some of these SL before all the guide data had been loaded when I first got the unit. The second was I forced the latest firmware upgrade on Saturday evening, and maybe that could have affected my SLs. The third, obviously is that the HR20 just acted flaky, which was my initial thought.

Anyway, this is what I did, and hopefully this is a one time glitch or me being a DFU (Dumb F*** User).

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Steveknj said:

Removing repeat show:
1) Went to the ToDo list, saw that the repeat of the show I setup the SL for is being recorded.
2) Selected remove episode (or whatever the equivilant verbiage is) and clicked done. The episode is removed from my ToDo list.
3) A couple of days later, as I went to add more SLs, I looked at the "Prioritizer", and I noticed that shows I had marked off on my checklist have been removed from the Prioritizer (I had a handwritten checklist of shows I had on the previous TiVo DVR to port over to the HR20, and I had checked off each one as I set it so I wouldn't forget to set these up).
4) I went and readded them based on Search (and of course the repeats were back in my ToDo list.

The segment in blue... I have never done, I am going to have to try this myself to see if something has changed in the recent software versions.

·
Icon
1,958 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
The segment in blue... I have never done, I am going to have to try this myself to see if something has changed in the recent software versions.
That would be great. I know in the old S2 Tivo, it ws pretty easy to just remove an episode and keep the rest of them. It would always prompt you with a "This episode only or the whole Season Pass" message.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
Steveknj said:
Removing repeat show:
I *think* you might be doing something wrong here as I have removed individual episodes from the to do list all the time.

1) I go to the ToDo list and select the show.
2) On the left menu I choose "episodes". I think you might not be doing that step. If you don't I believe when you select a show in the ToDo it defaults to the recording properties and if you cancel there you are actually cancelling the series link.
3) It will then show all the episodes for that show with the record icon for those it wants to record.
4) Now I can cancel the particular episode I want.
5) Done my way out and exit.

Also in 4 months of using the HR20 I have rarely had any repeats recorded on a "first run only" series link and when it does it's due to bad guide data (I've had this happen on my DirecTivo's as well).
Here is a trick by the way, when you are in the record properties of a show, click the menu button. You now get an option in the mini menu to set the recording defaults. So you can make it so every new series link you setup will be at that default setting (first run/repeats, padding, etc.)

·
Icon
1,958 Posts
bonscott87 said:
I *think* you might be doing something wrong here as I have removed individual episodes from the to do list all the time.

1) I go to the ToDo list and select the show.
2) On the left menu I choose "episodes". I think you might not be doing that step. If you don't I believe when you select a show in the ToDo it defaults to the recording properties and if you cancel there you are actually cancelling the series link.
3) It will then show all the episodes for that show with the record icon for those it wants to record.
4) Now I can cancel the particular episode I want.
5) Done my way out and exit.

Also in 4 months of using the HR20 I have rarely had any repeats recorded on a "first run only" series link and when it does it's due to bad guide data (I've had this happen on my DirecTivo's as well).
Here is a trick by the way, when you are in the record properties of a show, click the menu button. You now get an option in the mini menu to set the recording defaults. So you can make it so every new series link you setup will be at that default setting (first run/repeats, padding, etc.)
By George, I think you got it!!! I don't believe I selected Episodes, I just chose the episode in the ToDo list (as I have always done on my Tivo) and assumed it would just delete THAT episode. Didn't realize there was another step to removing items from the ToDo list

·
Crivens!
768 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Dual Live Buffers (no toggle between tuners)
Moderate to advanced Wishlist functions.
Suggestions
Another frequently called out difference is the lack of TiVo's patented "AutoCorrection" feature (or whatever they call it) that backs you up when coming out of fast foward to allow for reaction time.

The HR20's guide displays differently; it's a little harder to see a list of the upcoming shows on a given channel.

The HR20 has picture-in-guide and picture-in-list that let you keep track of what you were watching (whether live or recorded) while you are in the guide and most (if not all) menus and lists. I like this, but some folks want it turned off to avoid seeing and hearing a spoiler while in such a mode.

The HR20 interface takes some getting used to (2 [Guide] presses to see the guide, instead of one; stuff like that), but once you're used to it, you may find it better (I do).

I like the box, except for one thing at this point:
:bang

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.